Medium LOD vert count greater than high version?

Oblong Crumb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

I'm trying to import a fairly small mesh. The hi-res version looks good but my next LOD down says I have a load more verts than it should..

To make the medium LOD all I did was delete some edge loops, checked for isolated verticies then exported. 3ds max says there are 163 the importer says 563. I understand the vert count wont be exactly the same because of the uv map but I have no idea why there are way more verts than the original high res mesh..

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for reading.

Capture.JPG.764f000e357b7794a1affaf50258a8e9.JPG

Did you check for doubles on the problematic LOD?   And practically 76 triangle is way to dense for that last lOD I think. Your land impact for such a small thing will be way off base. OR maybe it is just too early in my morning and I am missing something LOL. It HAS been known to happen (often). 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replys.

Hurrar! It was the flat shading. The smoothing groups I set in max don't seem to stay with the import.  I had to re-check the 'gen normals' tick box after adding each LOD file.

Cheers for the heads up on land impact.   Lots of learnig to do..

If that isn't a BIG object, more like decor -- you should be able to get a model in at 1 land impact. Be SURE and check the LODs to make sure it doesn't fall apart at a distance. The default setting for LODs in Firestorm is 2 which is what I personally build for. The Linden viewer is 1.25.  

And yes always lots to learn. I am learning things now that I "should" have learned five years ago and that make my life SO much simpler LOL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblong Crumb said:

The smoothing groups I set in max don't seem to stay with the import

Max smoothing groups import just fine usually. If you tick the generate normals box in the importer, you are overriding the imported smoothing groups though. It's a feature of the importer I never use.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.