Phil Deakins

What's going on with the viewer downloads?

This is the 3rd day running that SL has downloaded the latest viewer, and tomorrow it will do it again. This is what happens...

I'm logged in and I get a message saying that a new viewer has been downloaded, together with the option to close SL and install it now or leave it till later. Each time I've chosen the first option - install now and restart SL. It does that ok, so I log in and I get the floater with all the details of changes in the new version. At this point there appears to be no problem - but there is.

Before the download, I was using version 5.0.xxxxxx (32 bit), and the newly downloaded version is version 5.1.xxxxxxxxx (64 bit). However, checking the version now that I'm logged in (after the new installation) the viewer shows that I'm still using the 5.0 version, so SL will again download the 5.1 version sometime today or tomorrow, and the cycle will go round again.

I just clicked the 'Check for Updates' menu item, and I'm told that an update is available, and that it's downloading in the background etc.

The first time I installed the 5.1 update I read the details. In them it said to choose the Windows version that I'm using (Win10). But I noticed that I was never offered the option, so something appeared to be not quite right then. I assumed that the update had detected what it needed and just carried on.

If I choose not to install the update after it's downloaded this time, I'll keep getting nagged to do it each time I open the viewer or log in.

So what's happening?

Edited by Phil Deakins

The background download completed, and I was asked to install now or later. This time I chose later. Then I closed the viewer, opened it again, and the new installation occured.

The next part is being written in real time - as it happens.

With the viewer open but not logged in, I checked the version number under the Help drop-down. It shows 5.1., as it should. The Release Notes floater is open, and I see that there isn't supposed to be a choice according to the Windows version. The chopice is which viewer version to download, so that was my misunderstanding in the previous post.

Now I'm logged in, and the viewer version is 5.1 (64 bit), as it should be. I'm certain that I saw the same either yesterday or, more probably the day before.

I've logged out, and opened the viewer again, but I'm not logged in. The Release Notes floater is up again, only it's for the 5.0 version. Undel Help it shows that this is the 5.0 version. And, of course, logging in and checking now shows that I'm using 5.0, and not 5.1.

Right! On checking, I've found that this installation is unlike any previous one, in that the existing icon in the Windows task bar (the 1-click strip along the bottom of the Windows window) still opens the 5.0 viewer, even though the main double-click icon on the Windows screen now opens the new 5.1 viewer. So the solution is to remove the small icon in the task bar and copy the main icon to the task bar.

It's all been rather silly.

Edited by Phil Deakins

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Right! On checking, I've found that this installation is unlike any previous one, in that the existing icon in the Windows task bar (the 1-click strip along the bottom of the Windows window) still opens the 5.0 viewer, even though the main double-click icon on the Windows screen now opens the new 5.1 viewer. So the solution is to remove the small icon in the task bar and copy the main icon to the task bar.

I've seen this behavior with a variety of applications when they update and the update installs into a new location, leaving the old version.  The same thing will also happen with icons on the desktop.  

Personally, I hate things that want to auto update or constantly pester me to update.  I don't mind a message telling me there is an update available, as long as I don't actually have to interact with said message all the time.

SL is pretty much the only programme that I get frequent updates for, and I've never seen it happen before. In this case, the large icon worked fine, but the task bar icon loaded the previous version, and yet the task bar icon is simply the large icon dragged onto the taskbar, so the location pointed to from both icons should remain the same - changed, maybe, but both changed. Not changing the task bar icon, along with the large icon, has to have been an error on LL's part. Unless changing the pointed-to location of a task bar icon isn't possible, in which case, we should have been told we need to change or replace it in the Release Notes. Either way, it's an error on LL's part.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Delete your shortcut for the viewer and create a new one that points to the new install.

There are a few ways this can happen, but what is almost certainly happening to you is that you have the old viewer installed in different location than the new one is going into, and your shortcut points to the old one. When you run the shortcut, it sees that there is an upgrade and installs it, but does not delete the old install. Next time you use the shortcut, you do the same thing again.

• Like 1

@Oz Linden

Ty, Oz. I've been getting automatic update downloads for years, and I've always accepted them, usually selecting 'Later', so that they install the next time the viewer is opened. I never control where the software is put, and there's never been a problem.

On this occasion though, the install must have put the new version in a new location, so that the task bar icon continued to open the previous version. Perhaps it did that, so that the 32 bit version remained and could be used if the computer wasn't up to 64 bit operation. However, the large desktop icon correctly opened the new version, so the install changed where that pointed to correctly, but not the task bar icon, which was a dragged copy of the desktop one.

Perhaps updates never did change where the task bar icon points to - maybe it can't be done - and all was well because new updates installed into the existing location, but this time it didn't work with the task bar icon because the 64 bit version was installed in a new loaction.

If an update can change the location where a taskbar icon points to, then it was an oversight by LL (sorry, that you, init :) ).

Anyway, I sorted it out :)

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

On this occasion though, the install must have put the new version in a new location

Windows 64bit systems install 32bit programs to C:\Program Files (x86) & 64bit programs to C:\Program Files by default.
So if you were previously running a 32bit version of the LL viewer & you were updated to the 64bit viewer version then the install path will have changed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

If an update can change the location where a taskbar icon points to, then it was an oversight by LL (sorry, that you, init :) ).

That would be nice, but we'd have to search your entire filesystem to find them all... not really good practice.

That's what I imagined - not really a practical possibility. A note about it in the Release Notes would have been helpful though.

8 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

A note about it in the Release Notes would have been helpful though.

Done:

'''If you have created shortcuts to run the viewer, you should update them to run the new SL_Launcher executable (if you don't, the viewer will complain when you run it, and updates won't work). Note that on a 64 bit Windows, this viewer will be installed in a different folder (Program Files, per Windows convention).'''

• Thanks 1