Version 5.1.0.511732 - Linux Download Doesn't Work?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm running Linux on my desktop (OpenSUSE Leap 42.3 64bit), and never had any problems with any viewers - no matter if official viewer, or TPV (well, except with Voice, at times).

Now I just tried to download the new official viewer release (version 5.1.0.511732) , and had to see that the download button on the site just didn't work for me at all.

Now my question is: Did LL stop supporting Linux in general, or is it just a glitch on the website?

LL just posted a blog post & the news isn't quite so grim for Linux  :)

About Linux … at this time, we don't have a Linux build for this updated viewer. We do have a project set up to get that back. We're reorganizing the Linux build so that instead of a tarball, it produces a Debian package you can install with the standard tools, and rather than statically linking all the libraries it will just declare what it needs through the standard package requirements mechanism. We'll post separately on the opensource-dev mailing list with information on where that project lives and how to contribute to it.

Full post:

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Full post:

I, too, have OpenSUSE Leap 42.3 (actually I was the one who talked eighthdwarf into using OpenSUSE many years ago :) ). And I am pleased that LL haven't given up on Linux yet. At least not in general.

However, I think that LL should keep the tarball packaging - simply because it can be used by all Linux distributions.

Take my (or eighthdwarf's) system for example: OpenSUSE (unlike *ubuntu or Linux Mint) is not based on Debian, it works with .rpm-packages instead of .deb-packages. So if LL were providing only a .deb-package instead of the usual tarball, it wouldn't really match the system, and would require some tweaking to get the viewer running nonetheless.  Though, for an inexperienced user, it would be easier to just run the Windows release via WINE or PlayOnLinux.,. :(

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

That is actually quite good news. That it's packaged as .deb does make sense insofar as it's likely going to install on the majority of Linux systems that way. For other systems it sucks, of course. I don't know how well deb2rpm tools work with dependencies... though personally .deb is nice, if it has a PPA I wouldn't ever have to worry about updates again either. Neat.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Adam01Time said:

Lets step back to 2007. Ask did that work. Nope. I have 5k LL for the first LL Dev. That knows why it is DEB. Hint started in Indiana

Beware the 1 2 post troll....

Isn't Indiana somewhere in Texas?  USA for sure, I guess.  And why did the hint start there?

(confused European)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.