alts

Prince Simon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's something the Lab seem to want to work with people on. However, the lab are fickle at best especially if they are having a grumpy day.

As well as deleting your alt, or main account, they have the option to charge people $9.95 (I believe) for each alt if you exceed 5, but as long as you are not trying to game the system, crash regions, or be a bad person they seem to let it slide.

I also think being PIOF on them helps, maybe a premium or two. They are likely more wary about someone quickly making a large number of alts that they can't tie to a financial identity.

The LL page that Chaser linked to states that "Your first basic account is free, and so are a few alternate accounts. However, if you create an army of alts, Linden Lab may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each additional basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost."  So you can officially have an army of alts, as I have.

Under the Restrictions heading it also states:

Currently, you can create:

• Up to five accounts per household.
  • No more than two accounts in a single 24-hour period.

It used to be 1 per 24 hours but that appears to have changed.

The two statements don't agree. The first says that you can have an army of alts, and the second says that you can have no more than 5 accounts per household. LL aren't exactly brilliant at writing their policies are they :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

The LL page that Chaser linked to states that "Your first basic account is free, and so are a few alternate accounts. However, if you create an army of alts, Linden Lab may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each additional basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost."  So you can officially have an army of alts, as I have.

Under the Restrictions heading it also states:

Currently, you can create:

• Up to five accounts per household.
  • No more than two accounts in a single 24-hour period.

It used to be 1 per 24 hours but that appears to have changed.

The two statements don't agree. The first says that you can have an army of alts, and the second says that you can have no more than 5 accounts per household. LL aren't exactly brilliant at writing their policies are they :)

From personal experience, I can tell you, they turn a blind eye on both.

Having said that, all the alts I have have premium sub for land ownership purpose so that might play part into it

Edited by iamyourneighbour

25 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

From personal experience, I can tell you, they turn a blind eye on both.

Having said that, all the alts I have have premium sub for land ownership purpose so that might play part into it

I have a small army of alts but only one is premium. But I've been considering premiumising a few more for that very purpose - land. It reduces the cost of tier enormously.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

I've often joked about making alts with names that start with 0 through 9 so I could flip some stubborn lucky boards, but I haven't...yet.

I know someone who, back in 2007/2008, created an alt for every letter and every number specifically for lucky boards.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There's a certain store which regularly gives away L$200 giftcards, perhaps twice per month.

When using their giftcard you can choose to 'gift' an item to someone else.

There's barely anything left in that store that I actually want anymore, including colour combinations. It's becoming a real struggle to spend.

If you're wondering what this has to do with this thread, just read the thread title again.

• Haha 1

SL wikis are notoriously incorrect. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page linked to you will see that it hasn't been updated  in almost six years.  So unless it is in the TOS (I did a quick search and came up with nothing) or in some of the supporting documents that go along with the TOS (didn't see a likely category there either) no one really knows what the current official policy is. If you want to go with the six year old answer then it is five per household -- which really makes no sense as a bunch of college kids living together would max that out with regular accounts LOL. . 

You can see by the comments here that lots of folks have "armies of alts" which no one seems to care about as long as they don't make any trouble. One person wrote here on the forums awhile back that they had enough alts to pay for a 4096(minus the $1 US ish that it costs for the difference now) so that must be eight if I am not too sleepy. 

So the answer is:

A. Five 

or 

B. as many as you want if you play nice. 

You can take your pick. 

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

so that must be eight if I am not too sleepy.

Too sleepy or not, that's correct :)

Eight 300L/wk stipend premium accounts can have 4k of mainland at a nett cost of approximately $5.72 per month, which is only a little more than an extra 512m for one premium account.

Edited by Phil Deakins

5 per email address. When I was doing lucky boards/chairs I made one for each letter and one number because at the time it was any number, not a specific one. I use them now to do those last few slots in a Midnight Mania board, NPC's in the sim I role-play in and am an admin and 5 are models in my store.

As long as you behave, the don't care.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.