Mesh Body creators and the Chaos

iOthman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been making clothing for years now and recently wanted to make some women mesh apparel, I have requested the Maitreya Dev kit from its creator for several months now and still waiting, received nothing.

Why isn't LL requiring mesh body creators to make these kits easily available to creators and prevent monopoly over popular bodies?

Also why is there no strict standards for human mesh avatars to stick to the original SL mesh Body's bone positions etc? it's really a mess out there and makes it time consuming for us to fit meshes to every armatures out there. It also makes it harder for new SL users to understand it all thus may reduce the sign up rate.

• Thanks 1

The easy answer to your questions is that all creators in SL are independent artisans.  They make their own design decisions and let market forces decide which ones prove to be viable in the long run, just like in RL.  One of the core principles of SL is freedom to follow your own vision and create your own contributions to the SL community. Linden Lab provides a toolkit and a platform.  It's up to creators to decide what to make. The TOS guarantees that creators retain full ownership of their intellectual property, which means that they may decide how much to share and whom to do business with. Linden Lab has wisely decided to keep hands off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's a little feedback from a non-creator consumer:

I have the Eve, though I've been wearing the Belleza body for years (I just never liked the Matreya myself). I am heavily-invested in it. And in all that time there was ONE update. And now it seems a lot of the creators adding Belleza to their lines are going to the curvey models (Isis and Freya) and skipping the Venus altogether.

So I decided on a make-over as I'm due. STILL don;t like the Maitreya (and besides: I don;t want to be a Doppelganger with 90% of the women in SL) - after looking and reviewing and trying countless demos I decided to go with the new Tonic. Technology-wise it's all there: "Smart Alpha" and "Smart Shoes" and all kinds of things that even Maitreya is still catching up on.

ALSO: The Creator's kit is FREE and right there in the in-world shop next to the body vendors - so now if I have clothing that doesn't auto-alpha I can create my own (and way easier to set up than Belleza EVER was).

But here's the kicker: Tonic Mesh Creators Kit is available in-store vendor for something like 100L (I could be mistaken, but pretty sure that's what I saw)

So here's the feedback: I'm now in the market looking for Tonic-fitting stuff (and most of it I have demoed so far fits amazingly like a glove with ZERO clipping) - I have 30K L$ ready to throw at those creators whose demoes that made my "yes, gotta-have-it" list. This means I am now on the hunt for my short list of "go-to first" creators when I'm in a shopping mood.

So go to Tonic store and grab your DEV kit now so I can buy your stuff.

My thing with these kits when you have to apply for them is as follows:

1) The turnaround time is inconsistent. X creator gets nothing back for months, while Y creator has a fairly fast turnaround.

2) The application process doesn’t stop anybody from doing anything illegal with X body.

3) it actually makes creators not want to create items for it.

4) consumers complain about not having enough products available.

Please body creators, make your dev kits freely available. The average person doesn’t want them and if they do, they might learn something and not ask as many dumb questions. You’re hurting your own business by frustrating fellow creators. Someone making crappy mesh, does not hurt your name one bit. There’s plenty of crappy mesh out there from designers you gave the kit to already!

*drops the mic*

• Like 1

I'd like to say that I am quite competent to make my own clothes, but the body makers want to restrict their kits to people with a store.  I will never sell anything, I don't need the money, I don't have a capitalists instincts, I don't want your complaints.  But I would like to make my own clothes.

But it's a free second life, you do whatever you like.

On 1/16/2018 at 5:24 PM, iOthman said:

I have been making clothing for years now and recently wanted to make some women mesh apparel, I have requested the Maitreya Dev kit from its creator for several months now and still waiting, received nothing.

Why isn't LL requiring mesh body creators to make these kits easily available to creators and prevent monopoly over popular bodies?

Also why is there no strict standards for human mesh avatars to stick to the original SL mesh Body's bone positions etc? it's really a mess out there and makes it time consuming for us to fit meshes to every armatures out there. It also makes it harder for new SL users to understand it all thus may reduce the sign up rate.

I have no experience with Maitreya's kit, but I was within 2 weeks approved for Belleza's Jake body mesh kit despite my shop being mainly anime/toon style stuff so you may have a better chance with Belleza's female body maybe? I've heard from other threads about Maitreya and TMP being ultra-strict about quality and fame of their creators, that even Maitreya's shoe kits were difficult/impossible to get for many creators... Which would explain why when I used the Maitreya female body, I had trouble finding shoes for it compared to Slink, Belleza, and other bodies.

While I don't agree that LL should force them to do anything, I do agree that everyone has a right to boycott what they don't agree with, and so if I were you I'd just not bother with such exclusive bodies and create for a body who is open to new creators to allow their body to flourish and prosper.

Also not sure if it's anything you'd be interested in (because these bodies are more popular among anime, comic, and furry avatars), but bodies like Utilizator's 2.0, Krank's Kuroo, and Orange Nova's Nauha (among many others) actually come packed with the body mesh kit right from the start. So those may be worth a try.

Edited by Kouki Elska

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.