Mens clothing/skins, AO, etc...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good morning!

Apologies if this was supposed to be in the 'Shopping' forum, but it looks pretty dead in there... thought I'd get a better response posting here.

I haven't bought any new clothes in foreverrrrr, literally forever. Who are some of the best SL designers for Mens clothing? I need everything, a nice AO, skins, shoes, hair.. etc. I have around $L10k to spend.

Any known locations of designers in the market place, etc.

1 minute ago, Benjamin Opel said:

Good morning!

Apologies if this was supposed to be in the 'Shopping' forum, but it looks pretty dead in there... thought I'd get a better response posting here.

I haven't bought any new clothes in foreverrrrr, literally forever. Who are some of the best SL designers for Mens clothing? I need everything, a nice AO, skins, shoes, hair.. etc. I have around $L10k to spend.

Well nobody knows what style you like so maybe some more details would help.  Check out some of the blogs and flickr related to second life shopping.  There are quite a few men's shopping events too now.  Check those on the seraphim website  http://seraphimsl.com/ 

37 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Well nobody knows what style you like so maybe some more details would help.  Check out some of the blogs and flickr related to second life shopping.  There are quite a few men's shopping events too now.  Check those on the seraphim website  http://seraphimsl.com/ 

I'd just want to see what others favorite sellers were, and I'd probably hand choose from then on. So not preference really. But thank you, I'll take a look at that website. :)

Assuming you already got the basics (mesh body, hair, and head), here is what I usually do when I’m in shopping mood:

- Go through Deadwool, A&D, Cold Ash, and Gabriel.  They have great stuff and a broad selection.

- Visit the Men’s Only Month event to cast a wider net of designers (although the selections are more limited).

- Check the SL Fashion For Men group in Facebook.  There is something for every style there.

Patience is the name of the game when it comes to male clothing, mesh, and bodies.  Don’t despair if you don’t succeed at first :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin Opel said:

I'd just want to see what others favorite sellers were

If you ask that question you'll usually get the same list of stores from most people. And that means you'll be wearing the same thing as most people: Gabriel, Deadwool (who are, admittedly, fantastic - especially when it comes to suits), Lapointe & Bastchild, Cold Ash, etc. If that doesn't bother you, then go with those lists and what you find at the four main menswear events (The Mens Dept, Men Only Monthly, Man Cave, and The Hipster Mens Event - all have galleries on the Seraphim site). A relatively new event is The Men Jail (not on Seraphim; website here) and that one features some different designers rather than the same big-name ones that tend to fill out TMD and the like.

You'll find that - if you don't have at least a mesh body - you may struggle to find a more extensive or eclectic wardrobe (if you're not the type to want the usual jeans-n-tees). A lot of clothing is fitted to specific bodies these days, and while some designers still include Standard Sizing or Fitmesh versions, many don't. Choices are pretty narrow, with the 'top' bodies being created for seeming to be Signature Gianni (a bit of a gym body with bulging biceps, but if you work with your shape you can reduce those somewhat) and Belleza Jake (decent enough, but still some issues at the neck, especially if you're matching to a mesh head). My personal preference is for Slink Physique, but fewer designers are creating for that these days, more's the pity.

From your appearance in your forum icon, you look as though you used to shop at places like Aitui. They are still going and still making great mesh clothing, so that might be a good place to have a nose around. Regardless, if you have a rough idea of the kind of style you're looking for, it really will help us to give you better guidance as to where might be worth looking.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/14/2018 at 11:45 AM, Benjamin Opel said:

Good morning!

Not shaming you but that is why men's clothing is so high in price.  Men for some reason think they should use the clothes SL provides and then go out and try and chat or dance with a woman who has spent thousands of lindens on clothing.  JS.  My favorite for formal clothing is Adam Edelstein.  $10,000 won't get you far in his store though.  His prices are high but his use of 3d textures and his colors  are unmatched in SL.  Just recently he released a casual set for Slink, Signature and Belleza.  Again it isn't cheap but worth the price.

36 minutes ago, Sammi Caudron said:

Not shaming you but that is why men's clothing is so high in price.  Men for some reason think they should use the clothes SL provides and then go out and try and chat or dance with a woman who has spent thousands of lindens on clothing.  JS.  My favorite for formal clothing is Adam Edelstein.  $10,000 won't get you far in his store though.  His prices are high but his use of 3d textures and his colors  are unmatched in SL.  Just recently he released a casual set for Slink, Signature and Belleza.  Again it isn't cheap but worth the price.

Well done for tarring every man in Second Life with the same "lazy, doesn't give a damn about looking good" brush.

I have personally spent thousands of real life dollars on my avatar. Granted, I'm not going out looking to "dance with women", but good god, give it a rest. Helping guys to look good in SL is a virtual hill that I will die on, but attitudes like this one here annoy the hell out of me. Do you have any idea how dispiriting it is for guys to see women putting them down like that? Have you any clue how off-putting it is? Any inkling of how it might make guys think "Why the hell should I bother, if trying my best still isn't good enough for her?"

From a blog post that I made about this very thing (warning: contains NSFW language) -

360119565_werenotallstupid.PNG.6881922c00f281a440bdce00bc654abc.PNG

As for Adam Edelstein, yes his clothing is nice, and I'm glad to see that he's not longer just creating for Aesthetic. I did see one decent suit there, quite some time ago, but it was only for Aesthetic and I won't ever wear that body. However, if this is the Casual Set that he's released -

adedel.PNG.9d3156addf2a8c117ebb1f10fb8418f3.PNG

- then it's not something I would wear. As for L$1,490 for that fatpack, it's reasonable enough and no more than Tori Torricelli would charge for a fatpack. But charging L$1 for a 5-minute demo doesn't sit too well with me.

However, what I'm wondering is why your first post here is berating a guy who says he has L$10,000 to spend on clothing, and you do so by telling him that "men for some reason" think they don't need to spend money to go out and dance with women who have "spent thousands of L$ on clothing". That's what he said he wanted to do: spend ten thousand L$ on clothing. And if you only want men to shop at one store, then yes that's going to mean expensive clothing. There are hundreds of other stores out there that sell menswear (I should know; I've been blogging menswear since 2008) and they don't all charge an arm and a leg, nor are they lousy at texturing.

Also, he asked this question back in January of this year. I'm fairly sure he's either gone shopping since then or possibly given up because he encountered someone who belittled his attempts at updating his avatar. 

• Like 3

Just a short list...

• Hair:  Doux, Modulus, Vango, (facial hair: volkstone)
  • Skins:  L'etre, Stray Dog, Clef de Peau
  • Clothing:  Cold Ash, Gabriel, etham
  • AO:  Vista Animations is probably the top store currently, but there are various alternatives if you don't want to look the same as everyone else.

Just search online for SL Men's fashion blogs and you'll get some ideas.  As someone above mentioned, join Men Only Monthly events.  There's also L'Homme, Swank, Man Cave, The Men's Dept.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.