Maitreya Exclusives

Jeny Howlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Does that mean if somebody came up with and published a standardized weight scheme and it became reasonably common, new and smaller mesh body creators could use that and be sure there would be some mesh clothing that fir their bodies? Or is it more complicated than that? I notice that at least some of the brands with multiple mesh bodies on the market use different eights for them and I assume they have a reason.

If a mesh has the same UVs, weights can be transferred using UV coordinates as well as doing it in world space. The problem arises when the base body shape is completely different (imagine the difference between the variations in Belleza's bodies) and the weight map needs to adjust accordingly. Making then clothing fit is easy enough, making a copy and lattice-deforming it to the new shape. A wise use of weight copy tools does the rest. Typically, when the clothing i've worked on is complete with all textures, i start the rigging process. 15 to 30 minutes to fit and rig a body type. In a matter of 2-3 hours, all six bodies i have are complete, Slink both, Belleza 3 bodies one variation only though, and Maitreya. Recently i added also Altamura, a pretty nice and apparently quite low weight mesh body. All these have nice weighting and the devkits are very accurate to the inworld body, both shape and weights. What i find unworkable is Aesthetic, because both mesh and skin weights are WAY off from the inworld mesh body

I forgot to mention another thing, in regard of standardization of weight maps. This can definitely be done using, again, the UVs. Most softwares can export weight maps in form of images (Maya does it in greyscale) or using other formats (Maya has a plug in called DoraSkinWeight which stores the weight as text for a specific mesh using either vertex order, Uvs or XYZ world position). With the exception of valuesOnText based weight export like DoraSkinWeights, these means aren't very reliable and precise, but it might be an option.

Edit: that's what i proposed at the beginning of the Bento Project in the creators meeting, by the way.. A revamp of the classic avatar with everything improved, from the foul UVs to the weights. An Avatar 2.0 is out of scope for this project, was the answer...

Edited by OptimoMaximo
typos

8 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Edit: that's what i proposed at the beginning of the Bento Project in the creators meeting, by the way.. A revamp of the classic avatar with everything improved, from the foul UVs to the weights. An Avatar 2.0 is out of scope for this project, was the answer...

I think you convinced me too.

5232012052424iwsmt.jpeg?w=640

I think, generally speaking, people are making mountains out of molehills, for no real reason. No one is being pressured into squat, no one is being forced to participate in things, no one is being forced to create for any specific body. Creators are CHOOSING to do that which they desire, whether that is motivated by current trends/fads or anything else(it could be just about anything). No one has to participate in events, but if they CHOOSE to, odds are pretty good there are going to be some kind of requirements. If one doesn't want to, or even can't, follow those requirements...then one doesn't participate...end of. It's really NOT a big deal. I think folks ought to leave creators alone and let them do what they want (of course within TOS) and stop bashing them for the choices they're making.

Why people are calling it a problem, is beyond me. All creators in sl, regardless of what they make, have one things going against them(assuming one wanted to call it that)...and that is that  no creator can appeal to all people all of the time. It doesn't matter what someone creates, there will always be people out there that cannot, or don't want to, use it. That is perfectly okay, and NOT a "problem"....please stop calling it a problem. If you can't use something someone creates, you move on, it's really not that big of a deal. The same goes for creators, they really shouldn't even be trying to please everyone, because it's never going to happen. If people stopped calling things like this "problems", they'd probably all have a much better time creating, and I'm certain they'd enjoy it a hell of a lot better than some seem to at times if people didn't make mountains out of molehills. ;) 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

I think, generally speaking, people are making mountains out of molehills, for no real reason. No one is being pressured into squat, no one is being forced to participate in things, no one is being forced to create for any specific body. Creators are CHOOSING to do that which they desire, whether that is motivated by current trends/fads or anything else(it could be just about anything). No one has to participate in events, but if they CHOOSE to, odds are pretty good there are going to be some kind of requirements. If one doesn't want to, or even can't, follow those requirements...then one doesn't participate...end of. It's really NOT a big deal. I think folks ought to leave creators alone and let them do what they want (of course within TOS) and stop bashing them for the choices they're making.

Why people are calling it a problem, is beyond me. All creators in sl, regardless of what they make, have one things going against them(assuming one wanted to call it that)...and that is that  no creator can appeal to all people all of the time. It doesn't matter what someone creates, there will always be people out there that cannot, or don't want to, use it. That is perfectly okay, and NOT a "problem"....please stop calling it a problem. If you can't use something someone creates, you move on, it's really not that big of a deal. The same goes for creators, they really shouldn't even be trying to please everyone, because it's never going to happen. If people stopped calling things like this "problems", they'd probably all have a much better time creating, and I'm certain they'd enjoy it a hell of a lot better than some seem to at times if people didn't make mountains out of molehills. ;) 

Exactly this.  I agree with all my being :)

• Like 1

anyone calling this "a problem" prolly never been in SL for a long time, because this happened waaay back with appliers in the same fashion (pardon the pun), remember the "Universal" appliers? the Lola appliers? really this is basicly the same, you have a brand leading the market, and because its used by the largest demographic, they get exclusives, because its creators the safest bet their product gets sold. really this is how a market operates, and has always been in SL.  And yes thank god we have different bodies for sale, and I will always try support the smaller brands, or the ones wich doesnt look "normal" because, hey this is SL, and you can shapeshift in anything you want. So I pay premium for clothing for lesser known bodies, or I get off my (nicely shaped) butt and try that blender thing myself.

Or maybe the lindens get finally a good looking standard body wich everyone can shape into their liking, but hey thats ofcourse never gonna happen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.