Space?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried it one time and got to a point where my meter was showing I was still going up but couldn't tell anymore if I was even moving..

The moon wasn't getting any bigger and stars not getting any closer..

If I remember right,it was just dark..

A griefer shot me up so high one time  that it was just darkness..

I had to relog that time..hehehe

So I don't think you can get to outer space if there is one..But you can fly pretty high..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

24 minutes ago, MrHarrisonOfReaper said:

Ok so weird question. Is there actually a "Space" in SL. Like if I fly to a extremely high altitude I'll be in outer space and see starts and planets?

no, would be great if it was :)

every simulation of the universe in sl is landscaped and build like any other thing you see, mesh/prims/windlight, within the limits of building.

Building gets wonky, or can get wonky, above 4096 meters

build or rez height n/a 4096.0 meters 768.0 meters for Viewers prior to version 1.20
Edited by Alwin Alcott

Hmm. Interesting. Kept wondering where there wasn't any actual stuff built for space. I run a private military so I was thinking about possibly building a real space observatory at a high alt.....may have to go back the drawing board. Not even sure if the builders and scripters of SL have even made stuff to make that a reality. We only have one maker of a VICE ICBM silo and it can't travel over continents(there is an exception..the gulf).

29 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Building gets wonky, or can get wonky, above 4096 meters

It's not supposed to be possible to build or rez above 4096 m but as far as I know, nobody has found the limit to how high up you can move with your avatar yet. I've been well above 60,000 m up myself.

And take a look at this:

5a574b7125bb0_Skjermbilde(892).thumb.png.c8faa419481c633cfd037ea350849a40.png

It's a picture a friend of mine gave me long ago. She swears it was taken at 112,137 m height and 've never ever caught her bluffing

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

It's not supposed to be possible to build or rez above 4096 m but as far as I know, nobody has found the limit to how high up you can move with your avatar yet. I've been well above 60,000 m up myself.

And take a look at this:

It's a picture a friend of mine gave me long ago. She swears it was taken at 112,137 m height and 've never ever caught her bluffing

Thats pretty awesome...:D

Yeah you can move rezzed objects up super high (I don't think there's actually a limit), but rezzing out at a height over 4096 can get dicey(it doesn't always, but can, lol). Though I did have an issue with a few objects moved way up that kinda stopped functioning properly (script wise) at a certain height(it was over 50,000m by the time we stopped moving it, but the exact height, I've no clue)

But, yes, all space objects you see out there in areas that look like "space" are just put there by folks that want it to look like space. There used to be quite a few places to find neat stuff like that, there are probably still some if you do a search. 

I guess since I'm on the concept of space. What 'ships' like drivable vehciles are good for a space type of feel. Seriously I know nothing about the RP or anything. I also kind of just want some stuff with a space feel. Bought two stations from Quandry Industries and the universe in a box so I could create a space retreat above my already build outpost. Its at 1000m and I'm really not gonna try to put it that far. I will try to see how far I can go with my jet pack. I don't think I have an aircraft that would make it and not have the scripts fail.

30 minutes ago, MrHarrisonOfReaper said:

I also kind of just want some stuff with a space feel.

A big hollow sphere with a black starry texture on the inside is all you need for that. The top of the old space elevator at Bowness is only a few hundred meters up, low even for a sky platform or sky box, and it still gives a quite good effect. When ti works that is. Seems the elevator script is broken again.

Edited by ChinRey

It has been a while ago but we had a thread where someone posted pics at extreme altitudes.

To answer the question, there is no atmosphere in SL so there is no space beyond it like there would be on Earth.  The space you see at ground level is the same you see forever.  The moon and clouds are then painted on top of wherever you are and will never be closer or further away,

I remember writing about how floating point numbers are stored in in computers and why distortions occur even in the 10's of thousands of meters.  Once you get into 100's of thousands your avatar becomes wildly distorted.  The single, limited bit length floating point number cannot keep up with both the very large value for height and the fine detail of eye position relative to skull position.  Things get drawn out of position due to rounding errors.  It can be amusing or even a little creepy.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

You can fly up to 2,147,483,647 m (the max  positive value for a 32-bit signed binary integer in computing) & then the height flips & shows as a negative value.

Things break very badly before you reach this height though.  Your avatar totally breaks down & shakes & deforms.  It's a pretty cool effect actually.
This is a picture I took of my avatar at a height of 1 million meters.  This is the system avatar body, not a mesh avatar. The attachments are mesh.
Notice even my name tag has broken down.

original_544d73c3128cc97320000001.png

• Like 4

No object can exist over 4096m. If you jump into a spaceship and fly straight up the ship will zap once you reach 4096m. :) But builds can encroach into the void as long as the center of the root prim is below 4096m.

But you can fly high and everything that is attached to you will stay. There is nothing of interest there though. :)

That doesn't mean that there is no space. I have parked my home with a nice view on that globular cluster:

deep space

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

And take a look at this:

Perhaps the satellite is an attachment?    

28 minutes ago, Nova Convair said:

No object can exist over 4096m. If you jump into a spaceship and fly straight up the ship will zap once you reach 4096m. :) But builds can encroach into the void as long as the center of the root prim is below 4096m.

But you can fly high and everything that is attached to you will stay. There is nothing of interest there though. :)

That doesn't mean that there is no space. I have parked my home with a nice view on that globular cluster:

deep space

Exactly right -- it may have been possible to move things above 4096 m in the past (though I didn't have any luck with it years ago either), but you can't move things past 4096 meters now. Taking a vehicle past 4096 meters is the same as flying off a region edge; you're unseated and the vehicle returned to Lost & Found. I just tried both to verify.

2 hours ago, MrHarrisonOfReaper said:

I guess since I'm on the concept of space. What 'ships' like drivable vehciles are good for a space type of feel. Seriously I know nothing about the RP or anything. I also kind of just want some stuff with a space feel. Bought two stations from Quandry Industries and the universe in a box so I could create a space retreat above my already build outpost. Its at 1000m and I'm really not gonna try to put it that far. I will try to see how far I can go with my jet pack. I don't think I have an aircraft that would make it and not have the scripts fail.

Vehicles will work fine up to 4096 meters, though it may take awhile to get there. There's a small loss of precision at 4096 but it's not much worse than at other altitudes above 1000. If you're on mainland, put your station anywhere you wish. On estates, building something big at 1000m is usually discouraged or not allowed. My build platform is at 3300 meters and things work fine for me (and I'm a bit fussy -- I like working to the nearest millimeter at altitude).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It isn't. She stumbled across it up there and was pretty amazed. That's why she tookt he pic

I don't necessarily disbelieve your friend, but I have to say that the chances of someone just happening to "stumble across" something  as she wanders around at 112,137 metres above one of the twenty -three thousand and something regions on the grid (as one does) seem pretty remote to me.   Still, frequently people win lotteries at very long odds, I suppose.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.