A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Had to take the girl to the vet today (threw up 3 days in a row), she checked out OK.

F2EA3A02-A4C8-4944-893D-7779265B9010.jpeg

More than likely it was something she ate that didn't agree with her if it was just a once a day thing. I know you said you took her to the vet and she checked out ok and that's a good thing but I also know vets don't always give you the full low down when they can't find anything wrong so I'm giving you this link to arm yourself (and both furbabies!) for the future.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/emergency/common-emergencies/e_dg_vomiting

17 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I also know vets don't always give you the full low down when they can't find anything wrong so I'm giving you this link to arm yourself (and both furbabies!) for the future.

X-ray showed gas bubbles, so I was told to expect diarrhea. If more nausea, I have medicine for that. And 2 doses of antibiotics. And probiotics if needed. It should be fine. I fed them crazy things over the holiday (turkey breast meat, too much cheese, pizza) so it's definitely my fault. *Edit* Good info that that link, though.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

X-ray showed gas bubbles, so I was told to expect diarrhea. If more nausea, I have medicine for that. And 2 doses of antibiotics. And probiotics if needed. It should be fine. I fed them crazy things over the holiday (turkey breast meat, too much cheese, pizza) so it's definitely my fault. *Edit* Good info that that link, though.

Cheese and pizza?

tenor.gif?itemid=7914063

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2018 at 11:52 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

When I was little, Dad explained to me that it was possible that I had already, or would eventually, inhale a molecule of oxygen once exhaled by Socrates. It's similarly possible that each of you has already, or will eventually, inhale a particle of ash that was once part of my father. And, because ideas spread farther and faster than the winds and are just as penetrating, it's also possible that if someone wonders aloud to one of you about sharing an oxygen molecule with Socrates, you'll think of Dad and maybe, just maybe... smile.

It is with great honor and joy that I derail my fellow Badger.

Socrates is one of the two examples I use of why pure democracy is a horrible form of government and why the Founders of the US created a republic instead.  The pure democracy of Athens, after all, democratically decided to murder one of the most influential thinkers in history simply because they didn't like what he had to say.

Of course, that was after they democratically chose to create an empire based on force, democratically started the disastrous war with Sparta, and democratically executed generals that fell out of favor.  :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Socrates is one of the two examples I use of why pure democracy is a horrible form of government

Agreed, though patched up forms of it (such as ours), as Churchill approximately opined, are less horrible than the alternatives. Humans are a squirrelly bunch. It's remarkable how much trouble the Founders anticipated in their construction of the republic.

Who's the other example?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Agreed, though patched up forms of it (such as ours), as Churchill approximately opined, are less horrible than the alternatives. Humans are a squirrelly bunch. It's remarkable how much trouble the Founders anticipated in their construction of the republic.

Who's the other example?

The other example is how the democratic assembly led their city-state into a war they had little chance of winning and then ran the war by committee, thus guaranteeing defeat.  If the person I am speaking with continues to engage in fruitful dialogue, I also go into how the continual accrual of power by the democratic portion of the Roman government (the various Assemblies) at the expense of the more traditional republican Senate eventually led to the collapse of the Republic.

History rules.

Heard a loud knocking on my porch door, it was a stranger, and older woman. I did not open the  door but talked through the glass. Her message? "I hope that I did not insult your intelligence when you saw me pee [out the kitchen window]".

My reply, "I didn't see you pee [in my yard], God bless you and have a good afternoon". I was preparing meds for Cinnamon, saw her walk by but not stop and pee. (Minding my business.) Cant help but wonder if she peed on a tree, the sidewalk, or the grass. It's hard to insult my intelligence.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Heard a loud knocking on my porch door, it was a stranger, and older woman. I did not open the  door but talked through the glass. Her message? "I hope that I did not insult your intelligence when you saw me pee [out the kitchen window]".

My reply, "I didn't see you pee [in my yard], God bless you and have a good afternoon". I was preparing meds for Cinnamon, saw her walk by but not stop and pee. (Minding my business.) Cant help but wonder if she peed on a tree, the sidewalk, or the grass. It's hard to insult my intelligence.

While something like that wouldn't insult my intelligence, I sure as heck wouldn't be wish someone a good afternoon - or saying anything else nice to them - if they had just peed in my yard or anywhere out in public.

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While something like that wouldn't insult my intelligence, I sure as heck wouldn't be wish someone a good afternoon - or saying anything else nice to them - if they had just peed in my yard or anywhere out in public.

I catch more flies with honey than vinegar. There's no telling when I will run into her next.

The phrase is "getting off on the wrong foot", not "getting off on the right foot". It's when two people attempt to "reboot" a friendship/relationship that didn't start out well, by mutual agreement. You know, like, when "they got off on the wrong foot and decided to try to be friends first".

Yeah, I went there. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The phrase is "getting off on the wrong foot", not "getting off on the right foot". It's when two people attempt to "reboot" a friendship/relationship that didn't start out well, by mutual agreement.

The corollary is "starting / getting off on the right/correct" foot, which means when the relationship starts out ok. @Fauve Aeon, the version you are quoting means right=correct, not "right vs. left".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.