A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Some residents seem to be determined to turn Second Life into Second Hell by treating older residents like a disease and new residents like special snowflakes. :S

Or maybe we just want to see everyone treated equally. 

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Some residents seem to be determined to turn Second Life into Second Hell by treating older residents like a disease and new residents like special snowflakes. :S

That sounds like RL to me.  Special snowflake kids get helicoptered and protected from their own stupid mistakes while elders are pushed to one side and laughed at for not being able to keep up with the pace of change.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That sounds like RL to me.  Special snowflake kids get helicoptered and protected from their own stupid mistakes while elders are pushed to one side and laughed at for not being able to keep up with the pace of change.

Somewhere around 40 years ago I had a conversation with my mother about re-incarnation. I asked her what would she come back as if it was real and she could choose what to be. She told me would choose to never come back and explained why she felt that way. Up until about 10 years ago, I disagreed with her. I wanted to come back. Not anymore. Not after after seeing where humans are heading over the past few decades. Right idea, wrong approach and it's going to get worse, not better because humans just are not ready for globalization. And as long as humans keep heading down the path we're on, we've doomed ourselves. Inevitable, I suppose since nothing lasts forever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Special snowflake kids get helicoptered and protected from their own stupid mistakes while elders are pushed to one side and laughed at for not being able to keep up with the pace of change.

There’s a special place in Banned Camp for those kids!

On 7/5/2019 at 2:15 AM, BelindaN said:

I love orange. Nothing beats a vibrant orange.......I have loads of orange stuff here, and an orange top and hat in RL.......

On 7/5/2019 at 6:15 AM, Orwar said:

Did you ever consider a career as a-- Uh. I was about to say 'street worker' but that might be misinterpreted. A person who lays asphalt and stuffs, and occasionally gets to wear orange!

Prison inmates wear lots of orange when on trusty status.

Not your cup of tea, no problem. Always other occupations that allow orange outfits, just have to find them.

636217487992703622-arizona-state-prison-

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Somewhere around 40 years ago I had a conversation with my mother about re-incarnation. I asked her what would she come back as if it was real and she could choose what to be. She told me would choose to never come back and explained why she felt that way. Up until about 10 years ago, I disagreed with her. I wanted to come back. Not anymore. Not after after seeing where humans are heading over the past few decades. Right idea, wrong approach and it's going to get worse, not better because humans just are not ready for globalization. And as long as humans keep heading down the path we're on, we've doomed ourselves. Inevitable, I suppose since nothing lasts forever.

I can't bring myself to be that pessimistic about the future of humanity,  although I have some severe worries about the growing trend toward nationalism/ isolationism. Having lived through the political and social upheavals of the 60s, I have mild confidence that we'll find our way out of the many messes we're in now. 

My mother had a cartoon on the refrigerator for years that summed up her attitude on the matter. It showed a curmudgeon on a rocking chair, with the caption: "I  love humanity. It's people I can't stand." If people would just relax and take a few deep breaths, humanity might actually muddle through. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I can't bring myself to be that pessimistic about the future of humanity,  although I have some severe worries about the growing trend toward nationalism/ isolationism. Having lived through the political and social upheavals of the 60s, I have mild confidence that we'll find our way out of the many messes we're in now. 

My mother had a cartoon on the refrigerator for years that summed up her attitude on the matter. It showed a curmudgeon on a rocking chair, with the caption: "I  love humanity. It's people I can't stand." If people would just relax and take a few deep breaths, humanity might actually muddle through. 

Same.

Never saw the cartoon but I've been saying that for decades. 

There is more to it but people don't want to hear the truth because then they would have to make changes in how they live and they just can't have that.

16 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

My Jury is out about reincarnation, but if it is a reality, I doubt it would be by choice. I sort of embrace the buddhist view (I think!), that what you do in this life leads to what you become in the next.

The other aspect is why would you come back here? This place can be close to hell at times with global killing and suffering. Maybe there's somewhere better.

32 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

My Jury is out about reincarnation, but if it is a reality, I doubt it would be by choice. I sort of embrace the buddhist view (I think!), that what you do in this life leads to what you become in the next.

The other aspect is why would you come back here? This place can be close to hell at times with global killing and suffering. Maybe there's somewhere better.

Even I don’t necessarily believe in “literal” incarnation, and I’m a Hindu. However, I’m not sure this life in this body is the “final state” of the consciousness associated with this body.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Even I don’t necessarily believe in “literal” incarnation, and I’m a Hindu. However, I’m not sure this life in this body is the “final state” of the consciousness associated with this body.

Yeah I agree with that. I've experienced enough weird incidents first hand over time to convince me that something is going on 'behind the scenes'.........

Like in "Sub Space"......(Star Trek ref.) :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

You and Selene are way too negative!  Sure, the world is a mixed-up, messed-up mess...but it has ALWAYS been.  Yes, of course, we are all going to die from war, famine, pestilence, and global warming.  But there have ALWAYS been cries of doom and gloom.  Stop listening to them, go take a walk with your dog in the sunshine.

(And if reincarnation IS real, which I don't believe...I wanna come back as my dog.  THERE is a person who knows how to live happily in the moment.)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

go take a walk with your dog in the sunshine.

I walked my dogs in the rain this morning, and they caught a possum while on leash!

If you come back as your dog, do you want to be intact, or spayed/neutered?

Edited by Love Zhaoying

21 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm quite the opposite myself. Not that I'm never pessimistic or anything, but my greatest regret of knowing my life ends at one point, is not knowing where humanity is heading. See how things we now consider sci-fi are reality in the future (like already happened often with technology we find perfectly normal now, but were jus fantasy 50 years ago). Even though there's a lot of sh!te going on I do think we will eventually manage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BelindaN said:

While I probably would not want to live forever, I certainly don't want to die. And who said I'd be coming back to planet earth? ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hey, I was young and really didn't know any more about it than the average person at the time. So sue me. :P

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You and Selene are way too negative!  Sure, the world is a mixed-up, messed-up mess...but it has ALWAYS been.  Yes, of course, we are all going to die from war, famine, pestilence, and global warming.  But there have ALWAYS been cries of doom and gloom.  Stop listening to them, go take a walk with your dog in the sunshine.

(And if reincarnation IS real, which I don't believe...I wanna come back as my dog.  THERE is a person who knows how to live happily in the moment.)

Whoa. Something tells me you read my posts all wrong. I never mentioned any doom and gloom. I said humans aren't ready for globalization. Definitely not the same thing.

I haven't forgone the possibility of colonizing another planet in our solar system. In fact I strongly believe it will be necessary to do so at some point if Homo sapiens sapiens (or whatever we will be called at that point)  are to survive. The problem is the planet is overloaded and because we have become a throw away society we are using up our resources at a rate that will prevent any asteroid mining for more because there won't be enough materials (if any) to build the ships that will be needed.

Keep in mind that I am First Nations and don't look at things in the same way most of you do.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 9:53 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

Humans had a good run, but our time is running out and mother nature is sick of us.  We'll be replaced by something else, most likely insects. I give us another 50 years if we're lucky, but I feel real bad for the last generation, they are gonna have it really tough

3 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Humans had a good run, but our time is running out and mother nature is sick of us.  We'll be replaced by something else, most likely insects. I give us another 50 years if we're lucky, but I feel real bad for the last generation, they are gonna have it really tough

There’s a great 1952 novel by Clifford Simak, City, that describes this well.

• Like 1

Just now, kali Wylder said:

Our time doesn't have to run out though. Otherwise everything we have accomplished, moon landings, space stations, NASA... all of it is a waste.

We can survive if we just stop being so wasteful. Go back to making things that last lifetimes and can be repaired without costing more than a new one so we aren't using up our resources on land fills. Planetary resources are finite.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.