A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The English plural forums is preferred to the Latin plural fora in normal English usage.

Careful, now.  You're getting close to the octopi/octopuses argument that has left way too much blood on the floor already.

Or maybe, "One hippopotami cannot get on a bus ..."

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Careful, now.  You're getting close to the octopi/octopuses argument that has left way too much blood on the floor already.

Or maybe, "One hippopotami cannot get on a bus ..."

Just quoting. One of my quotes (forgot which) was from the link YOU provided!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

4 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Irony - the fact that the linguist that understand the differences between irony, coincidence and sarcasm are unable to halt the evolving change in language that makes the terms interchangeable.

(yeah, I know, that's not quite right either.  Sue me)

Close enough, since sarcasm is “verbal irony”.

3 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

Meanwhile the kitteh is still back on cognoscenti...

co·gno·scen·ti
ˌkänyəˈSHentē,ˌkäɡnəˈSHentē/
noun
plural noun: cognoscenti; noun: cognoscente
  1. people who are considered to be especially well informed about a particular subject.

=============================

Does it mean anything when my kitty is smarter then me is?

For the scholarly, here's a spectrum of snooty terms to drop in cocktail parties to describe other people in cocktail parties:

Philistines >>> Naifs >>> Dilettantes >>> Aficionados >>> Cognoscenti  >>> Her Holiness

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

For the scholarly, there's a spectrum of snooty terms to drop in cocktail parties to describe other people in cocktail parties:

Philistines >>> Naifs >>> Dilettantes >>> Aficionados >>> Cognoscenti  >>> Her Holiness

On the other side of the spectrum, we have snowflake, cuck, fake news..

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Philistines

I say this about my husband's family.  Well, some of them.  I made langastino scampi, grilled honey and balsamic veggies and bananas foster blintz for desert and what do I hear? "Got any chicken nuggets?" and "this looks French."

What they really want is a thick cut prime rib that is trimmed of all fat and pan fired unseasoned until it is bone dry, hard as a rock and grey as a grave stone through and through. I swear if ANY juice at all comes out when it is cut they call it bloody raw.  "Blood is not clear you freakin' philistines! "  What they do to choice meat is a sin.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I say this about my husband's family.  Well, some of them.  I made langastino scampi, grilled honey and balsamic veggies and bananas foster blintz for desert and what do I hear? "Got any chicken nuggets?" and "this looks French."

What they really want is a thick cut prime rib that is trimmed of all fat and pan fired unseasoned until it is bone dry, hard as a rock and grey as a grave stone through and through. I swear if ANY juice at all comes out when it is cut they call it bloody raw.  "Blood is not clear you freakin' philistines! "  What they do to choice meat is a sin.

Let me guess: they are  from Texas.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Langostino scampi was so common growing up in Texas in the ‘70’s, they had it at the Sizzler.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.