A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You do have to actually register to the forums (maybe because the login portal is different), so there is a separate account in a way, but it is totally tied back to your primary SL account.  The primary account must exist before you can register here and you use the same password, thus they are only semi-separate accounts.   LL can ban the login for the account everywhere or they can ban the login for inworld and forums separately.  However, in the true guts of the system, it is all one account - there is only one password for the account, no matter what you log in to.  Heck you can't even change your password except via the Dashboard.

My guess on why the account can log into the forums is because when you request that an account be cancelled, it is simply flagged as such - a pretend delete, so to speak - until the allotted time has passed.  Since the forums do have a separate registration, there is likely somewhere on the forums side that the same pretend delete needs to also happen.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is it the “bop someone”, or “cook us something nice”, or the frying pan from which you jump into the fire?

If it were me, it'd be more like:

*CLAAANNNNGGG!!! cast iron skillet to the head CLANNNNG!!*

But then this isn't YaHell NAC so, not me. xD

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You do have to actually register to the forums

I've had to register again for each and every forum "upgrade" there has been in the last 14 years. That's at least three times, if not 4. 

There is a such thing as being "pre-registered" on a forum so that the poster doesn't have to go through the whole registration process. Forum admins set up the account for you and set the password (that you are supposed to change when you first log in). I'm sure LL has done this, perhaps not exactly the same process but something very similar.

If the accounts were connected in the way some seem to think, those who were banned in world would not be able to post on the forum at all as we have recently seen is not only possible but... it happened. Of course threads were locked and deleted so there isn't any evidence.

[12:46]  Newbie (4 days old): HELLO
[12:46]  Newbie (4 days old): I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO PLAY
[12:50]  Coby Foden: Some helpful info here: https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/
[12:50]  Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later

They need fast reply, else they will poof away in a blink of an eye.
Hopefully they will read my message later. If they will come back. :/

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

What I don't understand is someone picking an avatar, downloading a viewer, but ignoring all the information on the dashboard like the items under "What Next?"

Heh.  It happens all the time.  Some people don't read or are impatient to get on with life, some are not native speakers of English,  some are confused by the options, some are natural risk-takers who prefer to figure things out on their own ......  who knows?

• Like 3

Just now, Callum Meriman said:

TIL (not just to soak my ropes but...) Some people have smurfs inside them!

Look closer....

d2df8cfcac67cebf40672a040fbe1c44.thumb.png.77a6571d96c0d110c0524bdc5676610b.png

Lmao, that's hilarious!!

I have no idea what that even is, or how I managed not seeing it all these years (ok, that ones obvious, I can laugh at that too).

Bwaaahaaaa, I have a smurf living in me, I probably should be scared, but maybe not. I DO love the forest. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Laugh, smile, count your blessings, and find joy whereever you can...
...and be thankful it's not a teletubby! Cause those antenna hurt!

778993126_download(2).thumb.png.24005db3027f93eb1347a4f8f508ac98.png

I love the teletubbies! Would you laugh at me if I told you I had stuffed versions of all four-and they all sing and make noise and are made for preschool and under aged children?

You should, I laugh at me for it too :D

But, OUCH!!! Those antenna...no thanks, I'll stick with smurf..or gnome, that might be a gnome, I love me some gnomes. The first piece of clothing I ever made(and let anyone else see) in sl, was matching pjs for hubby and I. PLEASE laugh at this too, it's friggen hilarious, the gnome is holding my boobs for crying out loud, and horrible, and outdated, and just, awesome. And now I remember what I was going to work on and have been trying to remember what it was for like 3 days, so thank you :D

186977532_Snapshot_SerenitySandyCove(2173222).png.c3c303f3ca19d8769bc348eb9d7134ea.png

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.