A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Explanation of the Cream album title "Disraeli Gears":

Drummer Ginger Baker recalled how the album's title was based on a malapropism which alluded to 19th-century British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli:

You know how the title came about – Disraeli Gears – yeah? We had this Austin Westminster, and Mick Turner was one of the roadies who'd been with me a long time, and he was driving along and Eric [Clapton] was talking about getting a racing bicycle. Mick, driving, went 'Oh yeah – Disraeli gears!' meaning derailleur gears...We all just fell over...We said that's got to be the album title.[13]

• Like 5

On 1/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Rather than let the Eddystone Light get merely one derail comment, although a stirring one, I feel obliged to expand on the meager bit of information that's in that Wikipedia article. From a chemist's perspective, the thing that's most interesting about the Eddystone Light is that it marked the rediscovery of pozzolanic cements ( a variety of which you may know as Portland cement). Pozzolanic cements were invented by the Romans, probably serendipidously, almost 2 millenia earlier.  They made use of volcanic ash as an additive to the calcined limestone that was the primary chemical component in their cement. The ash created a mix that set quite rapidly and could be used in underwater construction projects. Many of the best Roman structures still standing today were held together by those pozzolanic cements.  Sadly, though, the Roman formula was forgotten as the empire fell apart. It wasn't until the Eddystone Light project ( Smeaton's 1756 version) that British engineers finally stumbled on it.  It proved to be such a smashing success that it became the standard for modern cements.  (The fact that Smeaton's lighthouse collapsed a hundred years later was not the fault of the cement, BTW, but of wave erosion.)

I do not know why Burl Ives did not see fit to mention any of this instead of railing on about porpoises and porgies.  However, to convey the significance of this achievement of ancient/modern chemistry, I did once deliver my own a capella rendition of the Eddystone Light ballad to a spellbound class of freshmen.   They were -- in a word -- stupified.

It’s fascinating to me when technology is lost like this. Like Greek fire, supposedly not extinguished by water: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

Also did they ever discover how those Easter island statues got there? 

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

I read every one of those books when I was little  :ph34r:

I *still* have every one of those books from when I was little.

and the cook book

and the mini words of wisdom

and the Lost Files of Nancy Drew

been looking for a purse with Nancy Drew artwork

still considering buying Nancy Drew fabric

obsessed kitteh is obsessed

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

and the cook book

I also read a few of the Hardy Boys books, but didn't relate to them as much.

The books that I have the Collector set of is the Little House on the Prairie series.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I also read a few of the Hardy Boys books, but didn't relate to them as much.

Me too.  I read every Nancy Drew I could find but I don't know if I ever finished a HB book.

I was in 7th grade when a friend loaned me a few books of Ray Bradbury's short stories and I have been a sci-fi nerd ever since.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Me too.  I read every Nancy Drew I could find but I don't know if I ever finished a HB book.

I was in 7th grade when a friend loaned me a few books of Ray Bradbury's short stories and I have been a sci-fi nerd ever since.

I moved from Nancy Drew to Agatha Christie.  I didn't find sci-fi until high school and didn't really get into it until college.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

Also did they ever discover how those Easter island statues got there? 

That's a good question.  I read Aku Aku when it came out, back in the dark ages, but haven't kept up since then. And all I remember of Aku Aku was an overwhelming sense of claustrophobia as Thor Heyerdahl and his intrepid band were exploring underground reliquaries.  Personally, I think the tortoises did it all. They're older than Yoda.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

and the cook book

There is a website that may or may not have some of what you might be looking for... (have a kiddo that loves Nancy Drew too, lol) 

http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com/thesleuthshop.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The books that I have the Collector set of is the Little House on the Prairie series.

My other daughter loves this series, and Anne of Green Gables. She has all of the books, but recently got the dvd sets for both. I'm fairly certain she binge watched them all in a matter of two weeks (or less, knowing her, lol) 

• Like 1

I like my men how I like my coffee.
Silent.

I also like tea.

I like my women how I like my latte.
Covered in whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Fair traded from a 3rd world country.

Ground up and stored in a freezer

I love my Clover how I love my coffee.
Constantly, always and every day.

I like my coffee how I like my Sabbath.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Silent.

I also like tea.

I like my women how I like my latte.
Covered in whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Fair traded from a 3rd world country.

Ground up and stored in a freezer

I love my Clover how I love my coffee.
Constantly, always and every day.

I like my coffee how I like my Sabbath.

Don’t know if BDSM or serial killer!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

There is a website that may or may not have some of what you might be looking for... (have a kiddo that loves Nancy Drew too, lol) 

http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com/thesleuthshop.html

Yeah I've been to that website a couple hundred ok thousands of times. That's where I learned about the fabric and purses. I think copyrights may be limiting the images that can be used since I haven't seen the covers I want on anything.

My mom got me the jigsaw puzzle with all the covers on it. I just need to finish it and frame it, then I think I'll hang it here in my office at work.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.