A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Octopus's garden.  Possessive, not plural.

Is that what you hear in the lyrics, or read? How do we know the Beatles didn’t mean plural possessive but their lousy Queen’s English did them a lousy? Read enough song lyrics and they are transcribed wrong quite offen.

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Bartender, I would like a Martinus please.

I once had a gerbil named Martinus, though I don't remember why, his brother was Wilbert, his sister was Kitty, affectionately known for most of her short life as "Lil *****"-she had a bit of an attitude. 

And to re-rail a perfectly good derail....I have been lurking/reading/posting on every single version of the sl forums since I joined sl. Though I post far, far less than I ever read (I actually read the vast majority of what's posted, only because once I get started reading here, I keep going, even in areas that are typically of no interest, or relevance to me at all). While I do garner a TON of info I didn't know I didn't know, or didn't know I needed to know..I actually tend to appreciate the forumites, and posts, for their humor, sometimes even a lack thereof. I laugh at weird things, and odd times, though. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

I once had a gerbil named Martinus, though I don't remember why, his brother was Wilbert, his sister was Kitty, affectionately known for most of her short life as "Lil *****"-she had a bit of an attitude. 

And to re-rail a perfectly good derail....I have been lurking/reading/posting on every single version of the sl forums since I joined sl. Though I post far, far less than I ever read (I actually read the vast majority of what's posted, only because once I get started reading here, I keep going, even in areas that are typically of no interest, or relevance to me at all). While I do garner a TON of info I didn't know I didn't know, or didn't know I needed to know..I actually tend to appreciate the forumites, and posts, for their humor, sometimes even a lack thereof. I laugh at weird things, and odd times, though. 

I have noticed quite a difference in posting tone and style between those who value the forum and forumies, and those who don’t. I think people who come here , especially those to come for help, should show some respect. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of non sequitur tangents ...

I learned a new reason to not like voice this past Saturday.  I went to a place I used to hang out to see how it changed.  Always nice people around and the chat area is typically lively.  It was again Saturday.  However 2 people were monopolizing voice chat.  Like constant back and forth about mundane matters.  When people tried to type in local chat these two would make comments in voice and other people who had voice turned on would try to reply to them in chat -- and it would become a confusing mess to those without voice turned on (few tho they were).

What happened of course was the two people chattered away and everyone else sat around quietly and started trying to talk to each other in IM's. Which I just now realized is where the two chatter boxes should have been with their personal conversation if they were typing like everyone else.

15 minutes of that and:

"oh gee, I just remember I need to be somewhere else." 
"BBL"
"Time for me to log"
"I need to run too"

We all bailed.

It doesn't happen all that often but ... come on, no one wants to hear about the petty minutia of your life coming at them with hardly a pause for a breath and interspersed with repeating what was said in local chat so you can make a comment on it all in same breath and tone of voice so we're not sure if you are talking to us or not!

Grrr.

OK ....

I'll stop now.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Speaking of non sequitur tangents ...

Ha! Allow me to demonstrate how to remove that 'non' by application of the Technique Levenque: simply using but a single oh-so-slightly unusual word from one post to spin up a complete maelstrom of nonsense. Behold.

The use of the word "Velvet" in a recent post about "Velvet Goldmine" spun me right out.

I own a record by 'The Velvet Underground'. These days they're quite well known but back when they were first around they were unheard of in regular rock n' roll on AM Radio, my only real source for new music. This was in my late teens or early twenties. Was no internet (Arpanet was either just about to start or had just started) and decades would pass before public access and the World Wide Web.

How I got the record way out in the boonies of North Central California I don't know. Saw it in a shop? One of the more outré girls I sometimes dated suggested it? Dunno. I do know my friends and I played it often. It isn't great rock and roll, but it was so DIFFERENT we didn't care. We played this song a lot. Yes we knew it was about a heroin addict. I don't think anyone I knew ever got into heroin, but still. Ugly. We still liked it.

and then.....

I worked while I was in Silicon Valley for several years with a really good mechanical engineer. He was quite a character and we hit it off right from the start. When new builds were under way he'd spend half his time on my production floor assembling, going back and red-lining his drawings, and then trying again. He built personally about half the new stuff (and we were constantly doing new stuff: customs were us). I once told the CEO in a Production Meeting that I had my two best guys working on a project, then named my lead assembler and the engineer.

One time he and his wife went to Prague (city of her family's ancestors) on vacation. As it happened I had recently read a history of what (coincidentally enough) is called 'The Velvet Revolution'(so-called because it was virtually bloodless; there was no fighting), Czechoslovakia's first attempt to get out from behind the Iron Curtain. While reading this history I came across a passage explaining how one of the motivating factors behind the creation of the original anti-Warsaw Pact/Soviet resistance was official government suppression of a musical group. The group in question played decadent American rock n' roll, and were accused of being degenerates and possibly drug users.

I was stoked! American rock n' roll helped fuel the end of the Iron Curtain? Hot Damn! So when I learned of my friend's planned vacation I asked him to see if he could find anything at all by this group even though it was about thirty years after their heyday. When he came back he had a CD (not an old record as I'd expected). He said, somewhat resignedly, "They were having a Reunion Tour". He told me he'd listened to the CD and they were horrible, even though he was much too old to judge that ;-). He may have been right, though. The group was 'The Plastic People of the Universe'.

There were two recognizable American songs on the CD, sung in accented but mostly correct English. A long, long cover of "Light My Fire" contains the colorful malaprop "...no time to wallow in your mire...", always good for a chuckle.

The big hit, inevitably (and you knew it would be): covering The Velvet Underground and Nico. "I'm Waiting For My Man".

You have not lived until you hear them sing "Hey white boy, whachoo dooink uptown?"

Regrettably (or perhaps lucky for you) I could not find that song on YouTube. Short of becoming a YouTube channel and (violating copyright by) posting the contents of my CD, I don't know another way to deliver it to multiple anonymous users.

ps: Yes, we did eventually peel the skin off the banana. Tragically, my possibly valuable old album has been violated. Woe is me.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 5

Yay, a derail thread!

Ok, in some features SL is so wrong that it makes me weep. :S:( Like this one!
Imagine if the man had a land and the woman had a land, both the same size. The man would be extremely wasteful with his land resources.
If the man visited the woman's place he would be surprised and would say "I don't understand how you were able to do so much with your land!".

2018-01-18_sizes.jpg

Why people want to be giants? Is it a competition? To be bigger than the next guy? :/

Edited by Coby Foden
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I don't know if it's wanting to be bigger than the next guy, Coby. I think it is just seeing those sliders for the first time,  maxxing them out because, well, because. And then saying "Whoa! Am I a big boy or what?". It's like they can all become Jack Reacher, or at least the book Jack Reacher. In the novels he is a very large man (who is also smart as hell, honorable almost to a fault, and skilled in all types of fighting). Funny thing is, his character is quite convincingly played in the movies by an actor who may be shorter than either of us in RL: Tom Cruise. Since he obviously couldn't play it on size, he concentrated on just inhabiting the persona. I had read all the novels up to the point the movie came out and frankly I had my doubts, but he nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

Why new people don't at some point in their slives back off on the height button a little I have no idea, but at least I have a theory for why they start that way.

ETA: Thanks for stopping by! Now that you've posted it's surely only a matter of time before the Battling Brit shows up :-). There still won't be any way to get him to admit he's lost an argument—the title of Phil's biography will be "Undaunted Stubbornness", I  think—but at least we can derail him!

Edited by Dillon Levenque
forgot something
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Yay, a derail thread!

Ok, in some features SL is so wrong that it makes me weep. :S:( Like this one!
Imagine if the man had a land and the woman had a land, both the same size. The man would be extremely wasteful with his land resources.
If the man visited the woman's place he would be surprised and would say "I don't understand how you were able to do so much with your land!".

2018-01-18_sizes.jpg

Why people want to be giants? Is it a competition? To be bigger than the next guy? :/

I looked like the woman, standing next to a giant customer today. He had bought at house, and I wondered if he could even get through the doors. I know making progressively more normal scale things has cost me business but I am committed to smaller scale.

• Like 6

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

Won't you give to the "Nerds Who Debate Anachronisms Prevention Fund?"  Just 10 linden a day can be totally wasted if you act now.

[sad puppy meme goes here]

Meant to do this when I first saw it, somehow forgot, got reminded from another direction and am now back in the middle of my night and the wee hours or later for a lot of others. We can team up, Rhonda. Combine teams and support both efforts. And never mind sad puppy: I brought B.B. King.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 4:01 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I’ve never seen this! Sounds like my kinda flick.

You HAVE to check it out!!! It's said that it's loosely based on Bowie (swoooon) and his glam era. They did ask him to use a couple of his songs in it, but were turned down (he was very particular what he would allow his music to be used for). AWESOME MOVIE!!! 

16 minutes ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

(he was very particular what he would allow his music to be used for).

The official story is that he told Todd he was working on a similar project of his own and that was why he didn't grant them rights to use his songs. I was so excited to see what it was going to be but nothing ever manifested. After the movie came out the story about the refusal changed.

I think the movie was actually better off using original material and others songs and being more about the fans perspective then the biography that was first intended. It's still one of my favorite movies.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.