A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:09 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

My current problem foster is 7, I’m scared that if crate training doesn’t work, I will let someone else adopt the pair.

My first 2 huskies were diggers, until I lined the fence with chicken wire, covered with rubble and cinder blocks, held in place by rebar. That didn’t work for this husky. I can make more improvements, but if he can’t (yet) be trusted alone in the house, I shouldn’t give him freedom of the yard either; previous owners raised them outside, that’s all they know.

poor dogs. if they've only lived outside then how could they like to be inside the house, it's like a prison? I mean, no wonder one jumped through the window.

36 minutes ago, Ansiri said:

poor dogs. if they've only lived outside then how could they like to be inside the house, it's like a prison? I mean, no wonder one jumped through the window.

The window jumping was more likely to chase a cat or squirrel. Another point of view is: their previous owners never had them spayed/neutered, which has caused their behavior to be at a certain “wild” level; the previous owners “gave up” on training them, so they don’t know how to behave; they were never “crate trained” yet are destructive in the house - the previous owners “gave up” and made them live outside, and surrendered them when they escaped / dug under the fence too much. They were not taught commands, and were not walked much. They only need love, compassion, patience, training, and a safe space. Then they will become the perfect companions.

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The window jumping was more likely to chase a cat or squirrel. Another point of view is: their previous owners never had them spayed/neutered, which has caused their behavior to be at a certain “wild” level; the previous owners “gave up” on training them, so they don’t know how to behave; they were never “crate trained” yet are destructive in the house - the previous owners “gave up” and made them live outside, and surrendered them when they escaped / dug under the fence too much. They were not taught commands, and were not walked much. They only need love, compassion, patience, training, and a safe space. Then they will become the perfect companions.

Thank you for explaining, now i understand a bit more.

But are you sure? About the window. I would've jumped through it also, even without cat or squirrel. (Human homes are prisons.)

9 hours ago, Ansiri said:

Thank you for explaining, now i understand a bit more.

But are you sure? About the window. I would've jumped through it also, even without cat or squirrel. (Human homes are prisons.)

Not 100%, but from my polling of the Husky community, jumping through closed, glass windows (thus breaking them and possibly resulting in great injury) is not that common. 

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not 100%, but from my polling of the Husky community, jumping through closed, glass windows (thus breaking them and possibly resulting in great injury) is not that common. 

It's not very common to try to convert an outside Husky to an inside Husky. You're going to need more than luck. As I said before they are not like other domestic breeds. But what do I know? I just raised timber wolves for 30 years.

• Like 1

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

It's not very common to try to convert an outside Husky to an inside Husky. You're going to need more than luck. As I said before they are not like other domestic breeds. But what do I know? I just raised timber wolves for 30 years.

One is fine. The other (the one who jumped through the window) already destroyed his crate tray. The rescue bought an upgrade. The goal is to secure my yard so they can’t dig out (like previous huskies couldn’t). 

One of my besties is wolf-crazy, he’d talk your head off.

A3B72C3A-CFB3-4332-8539-7B3372BA3B23.jpeg

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..that being said, the Husky rescue folks keep saying how brave I am lol.

Well, from my experience with the four we had over the years, you can only train a Husky if they want to be trained and then only on what they want to be trained on - for the most part anyway.  :D

• Like 1

Jurassic Park is coming

The breakthrough marks a "significant step toward bringing mammoths back from the dead," Kei Miyamoto, a member of the research team at Kindai University

None of the mouse cells implanted with mammoth nuclei performed cell division, a key step in reanimating the long-extinct mammoth.

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2019/03/12/Woolly-mammoth-nuclei-come-alive-inside-mouse-cells/3821552394462/

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

a key step in reanimating the long-extinct mammoth.  

Not sure how well versed you are ein paleobiology, ... actually the last mammoths still roamed the earth while the pyramids were buildt...

Edited by Fionalein

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

None of the mouse cells implanted with mammoth nuclei performed cell division, a key step in reanimating the long-extinct mammoth.

LIkely for the best, Imagine Patch Linden with huge set of horns!

(or tusks or whatever they are called on mammoths)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.