A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So..Second Life is a “Grid”. Someone looks for an “off grid” relationship but will use SL. In American English, “going off grid” means without internet, away from society (perhaps without communications and even electricity). Perhaps elsewhere, “off grid” can mean “middle of nowhere” but still with internet and all conveniences?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Someone looks for an “off grid” relationship but will use SL. In American English, “going off grid” means without internet, away from society (perhaps without communications and even electricity).

It's a bit of a spectrum. One can take one's city home off grid if you install solar power and a water tank (although sewage still goes through the pipes and you have internet)

As Wikipedia says

A common misconception is that a true off-grid house is able to operate completely independently of all traditional public utility services. Although this is not the case. The term "off the grid" traditionally refers to the electrical grid only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

It's a bit of a spectrum. One can take one's city home off grid if you install solar power and a water tank (although sewage still goes through the pipes and you have internet)

As Wikipedia says

They must have good internet to “play” SL way out in the woods!

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

A common misconception is that a true off-grid house is able to operate completely independently of all traditional public utility services. Although this is not the case. The term "off the grid" traditionally refers to the electrical grid only.

Huh. Guess all those pioneers that settled North America were all on public utilities. 

How the inside of an outhouse REALLY looked back then:

ed14acdd86054f78da3ec223a4efa363.jpg

History's been lying to us all these decades. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 1

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Huh. Guess all those pioneers that settled North America were all on public utilities. 

[spoiler=How the inside of an outhouse REALLY looks] 

ed14acdd86054f78da3ec223a4efa363.jpg

[/spoiler]

History's been lying to us all these decades. 

As Love said it's likely something weird with the way Americans use English compared to the rest of the world.

Off the grid is pretty much you make your own power.

5 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

it's likely something weird with the way Americans use English compared to the rest of the world.

This could be.  In some parts of the US, the phrase is starting to be associated with disconnecting -- i.e. no internet, no cell phone with tracking capabilities, etc...

29 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This could be.  In some parts of the US, the phrase is starting to be associated with disconnecting -- i.e. no internet, no cell phone with tracking capabilities, etc...

That is what it meant years ago. Before there were home computers and cell phones.

Our  relatives....Grandfathers side so the green eyed blondes..... had a cottage in the wilds. Yeah the UK has wilds........even now.

It had kitchen and 'sitting room' downstairs. Two bedrooms upstairs. That was it.

The toilet was an earth closet down the garden, but it was a two holer, so you could chat.

When visitors went to sleep, the two sons made up a bed in the garden shed...............

All true...........

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Corn cob, or Sears catalog?

Both.

The outhouse was moved and repurposed as a changing room long before I was born. My great grandfather used it while he was remodeling the lake cabin that is now the family room of my home. There was a cornfield across the road until about 10 years ago, and I'm sure he made good use of the Sears catalog. The house has been through three eras of remodeling ("phase" neither captures the glacial pace of McMasters family remodeling, nor the lack of planning ), and I find artifacts from the first two now and then, mostly in the form of shims made of newspaper or catalog pages (1940s to 1980s). I also find dots from Dad's PDP-8 paper tape reader/punch which, like spiders, are absolutely everywhere. They were a great source of pleasure when I was a toddler, and I'm sure some of them have passed through me.

I am stardust.

I am paper tape dots.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.