A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I seem to have started a sh!t storm though.

I got here later than usual so I had no idea what you all were talking about. Had to do some looking. I'd thought I recalled something about Ace and I saw a bunch of thread activity from him right around the time frame of Clover's first Nancy Drew post here; checked it out and BINGO!

He's right about a couple of Forum things, though. Nobody comes  here anymore. Of course, relatively nobody ever has come here! It's too bad, really. I'd been in SL almost a year before I finally took a peek, and I've been lurking or contributing ever since. I've learned volumes of things and had a whole lot of fun. I wish LL would promote it a little.

The other thing is that yes, we are all terribly mean and cruel and all we do all day is pick on people. Terrible. lmfao. imma flounce.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Nobody comes  here anymore. Of course, relatively nobody ever has come here!

Funny thing, between 6-8% of a user base will use the forums.
Between 6-8% of the forum visitors will make a post..

This holds true for almost everything.  I first learned of these numbers in EverQuest and have since followed them backwards and forwards with online games at first and later other hobbies as well.  You could count the number of unique posters in all SL forums (only two when you get down to it) and multiply that by 200 and be within 5% of the real users of SL for that week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nalytha said:

Confession: I probably spend more time lurking on these forums than logged into Second Life. 

During the week, I most definitely spend more time in the forums.  I usually have them up all day at work, though there are some days that will be busy enough that I barely get to glance at them.  On weeknights my in world time would only be a few hours each evening.

On the weekends, I'll often log in world early in the morning and not log out until late at night - but I am AFK a lot doing various chores and such.  I'll also have the forums up in the browser window, but how much I pay attention to them depends on how much time I'm actually at the computer and how much time I'm actually doing something in world.

I have always read and posted regularly, beginning with the SL Exchange forum. The forums is where I have learned almost everything I know about creating and selling —from incredibly generous people. (That’s why I am so appalled when people come in the forum so clearly indifferent to the time and effort people devote to helping others — no respect for that, no effort to research on their own before asking others to do it for them, abusing them when they don’t like the answers, etc.)  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I have always read and posted regularly, beginning with the SL Exchange forum. The forums is where I have learned almost everything I know about creating and selling —from incredibly generous people. (That’s why I am so appalled when people come in the forum so clearly indifferent to the time and effort people devote to helping others — no respect for that, no effort to research on their own before asking others to do it for them, abusing them when they don’t like the answers, etc.)  

Um... these rugs though :x:x

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I have always read and posted regularly, beginning with the SL Exchange forum. The forums is where I have learned almost everything I know about creating and selling —from incredibly generous people.

I started learning to texture things 11 years ago by paying attention to Chosen Few in the old Texturing forum, and then started learning LSL from Void Singer in the Scripting forum. I've learned loads from people like them, and have always felt a responsibility to pay them back by helping others here. The nice thing about posting in those forums or in Answers is that you don't have to know all the answers -- you just have to have something to share that might put the OP a little closer to knowing what's going on, or being a little less anxious about not knowing. Most of the regulars seem to treat the forums like a team project rather than someplace to show off how clever they are. It helps that there are also a lot of smart people here, with a really quirky sense of humor.

I'm in world several hours a day, but even then I always keep the forums open.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I started learning to texture things 11 years ago by paying attention to Chosen Few in the old Texturing forum,

Wow, I haven't heard that name in a long time.  Almost all of the little I know about texturing came from him in that forum.

Cool. What a bunch of interesting responses to a question that was "sort of" implied in a post.

I guess from Rhonda's explanation that LL promoting the Forums wouldn't really help; people either like this sort of conversation or they don't, and that's always going to be true. As a member of both of the two big SL forums (I know the correct Latin plural but to me it seems an affectation to use it in English) I have to say her observations on the numbers sound pretty accurate.

Something Pamela said REALLY resonated: ".... no effort to research on their own before asking others to do it for them...". Seriously. There's SO much information already in print, by no means all of it in archived forum articles. Get online and look. All it took me was one (slightly out of frustration over unproductive research) out of left field research try, when I opened Google and typed, "How do I change (can't remember an exact example) in Second Life?". Bam. A page full of responses, most of which were relevant. After that a flat-out question on Google would be my first step whenever I had an SL question. That way when I finally gave up and asked in the Forum I could at least say what I'd read so far, so people would know they didn't have to start at rock-bottom to answer me. I learned how to do Outfits from a Google article, long before we had the folder. Revolutionized my Second Life—I could finally start trying on anything I fancied without being in deathly fear that I'd lose a part of my existing avatar. Prior to that I'd spent hours trying to put the 'self' I'd been back together after carelessly wearing something that chomped. Now I could just store me.

I used to spend a whole lot of time with my father; we had a family business. After school I'd walk the few blocks to the business and when it closed for the day an hour or two later I would do all the facility/janitorial work while the old man did the books, then I'd ride home with him. Whole lotta stories and philosophy in those rides. I've always remembered one thing he told me; not sure what the conversation was or why I remember it so much (although it's possible I remember ALL of those conversations). He told me there was possibly no greater pleasure in life than talking with an intelligent person or better yet, several of them at once. It was even better if the person was a little more intelligent than you are.

This and the one other forum I frequent have proved that to me so long ago I don't even think about it. That got mentioned in the responses above, too. "It helps that there are also a lot of smart people here, with a really quirky sense of humor."  Rolig Loon

• Like 4

I really appreciate all the help that is provided in this forum.  When I first joined SL, I spent hours reading through the forums - especially the answers section - learning things and getting ideas about things that I wouldn't have any known to ask about or to look for.  

I also like to get a sense of the history of places I visit or live, and SL being a world was not an exception.  Between this forum and the other one, I've read a lot of history about SL as well, which was pretty interesting to me. 

Many times I join forums that I think I will be doing a lot of reading in, and rarely, if ever, post in them, which was the case here for me until this last year or so when I decided to make an effort to be a little more outgoing. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Many times I join forums that I think I will be doing a lot of reading in, and rarely, if ever, post in them, which was the case here for me until this last year or so when I decided to make an effort to be a little more outgoing. 

That sounds like me too.  Also like Dillon I would google an issue myself and find myself led to the forums to find the answer myself and only ask if the answer was not to be found.  I do have to hold myself back sometimes when I want to reach into the screen and slap someone.  ❄  I also try to be aware my normal sarcasm and suspicions about people need to be restrained. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Actually, fora is the plural for the specific case of forum as it relates to roman political venues.  Even in English.  However, with any other sense of forum, the plural is forums.

Well, okay then. Venues. That would make it a very little-used variant in today's world, where most of us are familiar only with one in Rome. Thanks.

See what I mean? Learn something everyday around here. :-)

12 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

most of us are familiar only with one in Rome.

Well, there is The Roman Forum and then there are other, smaller fora in Rome. 

Other fora in Rome

Other fora existed in other areas of the city; remains of most of them, sometimes substantial, still exist. The most important of these are a number of large imperial fora forming a complex with the Forum Romanum: the Forum Iulium, Forum Augustum, the Forum Transitorium (also: Forum Nerva), and Trajan's Forum. The planners of the Mussolini era removed most of the Medieval and Baroque strata and built the Via dei Fori Imperiali road between the Imperial Fora and the Forum. There are also:

Other markets were known but remain unidentifiable due to a lack of precise information on each site's function.[33]

Edited by Rhonda Huntress

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Well, there is The Roman Forum and then there are other, smaller fora in Rome. 

You have demonstrated the reason I preceded my comment with "...most of us are familiar...", making it possible for the casual reader to assume (possibly inaccurately) that I was among those cognoscenti aware of the multitude of others once present in Rome. ;-)

1 minute ago, Dillon Levenque said:

You have demonstrated the reason I preceded my comment with "...most of us are familiar...", making it possible for the casual reader to assume (possibly inaccurately) that I was among those cognoscenti aware of the multitude of others once present in Rome. ;-)

“..some scholars say..”

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

“..some scholars say..”

Well, no, you can't use that. ALL scholars say. One who doesn't know that is not a scholar on the subject. I am not a scholar,  I assure you. They're my sources.

Actually, that's incorrect.  Historians are MY sources; scholars are sources for the historians. The historians crawl through the scholar's painfully acquired data to find the detail they need to assemble the narrative. I actually obtained a regular library copy of a scholar's work. As I recall he was someone who was frequently footnoted in Gibbon; I thought I'd mine a deeper strata.

As I read along, I had this feeling I was slowly turning into the Picture of Dorian Gray. I never went there again.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.