A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Phorumities said:

test

ok this is an amusing glitch of some sort. I deleted this account over a week ago. Trying to log in to second life gives me the message "account not found" yet im still logged into the forums and can still post. I dont plan on resuming posting I just thought this was something intersting to share. Im sure a Linden will fix it when brought to their attention. 😁

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

You know they're separate logins right?

yes i know that but if i cancelled my account how can i still be logged in? are you suggesting that if i never log out i can continue posting on the forums without having a second life account?

45 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

yes i know that but if i cancelled my account how can i still be logged in? are you suggesting that if i never log out i can continue posting on the forums without having a second life account?

You have 30 days to change your mind before the account is "frozen". After that you have 60 more days to change your mind before they wipe your inventory and delete the account permanently.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Just now, Clover Jinx said:

Even then isn't the forum account separate from the in-world account?

As far as logins go, yes. How many times has LL disabled logins and yet we've almost always been able to post on the forums (unless the website/forum was down as well) in the past... decade? ;)

3 hours ago, Phorumities said:

ok this is an amusing glitch of some sort. I deleted this account over a week ago. Trying to log in to second life gives me the message "account not found" yet im still logged into the forums and can still post. I dont plan on resuming posting I just thought this was something intersting to share. Im sure a Linden will fix it when brought to their attention. 😁

So...how about a heads up?  Who's your new SL ego?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I saw a fox run across a road this morning. They run differently than coyotes.

Right from the start Iva's been visiting this thread to drop these little non sequiturs (is that even a valid description, given the thread's purpose?), often about wildlife sightings. I loved the idea right from the start; it was perfect. This time her drop actually derailed the derail thread and started a conversation, from Maddy's comment about foxes being cat software on dog hardware to that amazing video Callum showed. Incredible work—what hands that person had—but for me just a little bit too real; I'd be creeped out to see one of our cats 'pictured' that way. 

Speaking of cat software, the Gray Fox is one of two canine species that climbs trees, and the only one in North America. We once had a breeding pair move in under the house to deliver and wean their pups. They were a noisy nuisance banging around down there, but the babies were just heart-stoppingly cute. I got to see 'em chasing each other around the lattice-work on the side of the garden shed a couple of times; they'd fly around it looking like they were on an oval track, except it was vertical. Up one side and down the other, almost in a blur.

gray fox.PNG

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I got to see 'em chasing each other around the lattice-work on the side of the garden shed a couple of times; they'd fly around it looking like they were on an oval track, except it was vertical. Up one side and down the other, almost in a blur.

Not quite vertical...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Tiny, beautiful, and nuts :-).

...beams!

I don't often see foxes in my yard and it's mostly winter when I do. I love watching them dive into the snow. I see weasels about as often, and they're even more amusing. They do a "war dance" when excited, which is hilarious. All that energy and they don't know what to do with it. Or they do....

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So...how about a heads up?  Who's your new SL ego?

no new ego, this was my forum posting account. I'm done with the forums so there is no further need for this account. I was only posting because I was amused that a week after I cancelled this account I'm still logged into the forums.

Speaking of critters...

I recently bought a can of dill flavored peanuts. I've no idea why I thought they might be any good, but they were on sale. They were awful, both under-roasted and over-salted. I poured them out on the back porch for the squirrels.

Last night at sundown, when the path lights at my patio came on, I noticed that half of them had fallen over. At least once a month I have to straighten one or more of my hundreds of path lights because the deer have either stepped on, or nosed them over out of curiosity. I'd never before seen several in a row go down in one day, so I went out to investigate. The base of each light had been dug up, and there was a little frozen mound of dirt just to the side. Curious, I scooped out a little more dirt with the spiked base of the lamppost and discovered...

...dill flavored peanuts.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Same password ..

totally same account so that a violation in one gets you punished in the other and yet, a week after I terminated my account, and am dead inworld so to speak, I'm still alive and well in the forums.

Edited by Phorumities
spelling

I keep forgetting subtle never works around here. *gets the frying pan* Disclaimer: Things may be different now.

Clover Jinx the SL avatar rezzed in world 12/21/2008

Clover Jinx signed up for the forums on September 11, 2009

We all agree the logins are separate, so separate databases, which would require additional manpower and time to go through and "clean out" the forum accounts that were also in-world accounts that were cancelled. Unless there is a forum infraction serious enough to warrant it, I can't see LL removing forum accounts until a scheduled "clean up" if at all.

If you don't want to post on the forums, take Maddy's advise in another thread and change your password to gibberish, log out and walk away. It's not a glitch or bug or anything.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

I keep forgetting subtle never works around here. *gets the frying pan* Disclaimer: Things may be different now.

We all agree the logins are separate, so separate databases, which would require additional manpower and time to go through and "clean out" the forum accounts that were also in-world accounts that were cancelled. Unless there is a forum infraction serious enough to warrant it, I can't see LL removing forum accounts until a scheduled "clean up" if at all.

If you don't want to post on the forums, take Maddy's advise in another thread and change your password to gibberish, log out and walk away. It's not a glitch or bug or anything.

The Forum/Community even has its own login portal, different from all the others. The Feed, the Marketplace, and the 'Dashboard' all log in through some variant of: 

https://id.secondlife.com/openid/login

The Forum login is here:

https://web-login.secondlife.com/login

Note that these are abbreviated; the entire address depends on where you're going.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

you have ONE password that you use to log into all the services LL offers. 

There are not separate inworld and forum accounts. You might log into the forum days weeks months or years after you joined second life but its all the same account.

Im pretty sure if I logged out of the forums I wouldn't be able to log back in, because I cancelled my account.

I'm also reading the forums on my main, because i logged out this account on my computer but not on my phone. 

I'm pretty sure some concerned forum citizen will bring this to a mods attention and they will rectify this unfortunate glitch.

Oh look I just saw a notice pop up on my computer... Phorumities has replied... excuse me while I go read what I wrote.

😁

Edited by Phorumities
added stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.