A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It takes one to know one. 9_9 After all, everyone is a mutant >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation .  Specifically, "Nonlethal mutations accumulate within the gene pool and increase the amount of genetic variation. The abundance of some genetic changes within the gene pool can be reduced by natural selection, while other "more favorable" mutations may accumulate and result in adaptive changes."  I remember hearing something like that in 8th grade biology class about  (um ... um ... years) -- a long time ago.  Some mutants like cilantro. Others prefer --- chocolate?

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It takes one to know one. 9_9 After all, everyone is a mutant >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation .  Specifically, "Nonlethal mutations accumulate within the gene pool and increase the amount of genetic variation. The abundance of some genetic changes within the gene pool can be reduced by natural selection, while other "more favorable" mutations may accumulate and result in adaptive changes."  I remember hearing something like that in 8th grade biology class about  (um ... um ... years) -- a long time ago.  Some mutants like cilantro. Others prefer --- chocolate?

Well, yes I did actually know that, having managed to stumble through the eighth grade (perfect song derail just came to mind; hope it's on YouTube). But it's still fun to call people out with that term and maybe get others to join me, pointing at people and mindlessly yelling, "Mutant! Mutant! Mutant!".

And a bit of chocolate never goes amiss with me, as it happens.

• Haha 2

Ha! It is on YouTube. I dinna ken what "Georgia" has to do with it; the song was apparently written by Willie Nelson (Texan) and first recorded by Billy Joe Shaver (also Texan). Funnily enough, I was thinking of doing a musical derail of Texas songs; Texas has produced a hell of a lot of really good singer-songwriters.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Ha! It is on YouTube. I dinna ken what "Georgia" has to do with it; the song was apparently written by Willie Nelson (Texan) and first recorded by Billy Joe Shaver (also Texan). Funnily enough, I was thinking of doing a musical derail of Texas songs; Texas has produced a hell of a lot of really good singer-songwriters.

Oh do it! 

I am pretty sure Billy Joe wrote Fast Train. 

12 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Oh do it! 

I am pretty sure Billy Joe wrote Fast Train. 

Well, since you asked, I will. And yes, I'd thought it was Shaver's song as well, but Google and Wikipedia suggest otherwise. I think I'd need to see a BMI reference to be positive; they can't afford to get it wrong.

I'll start with what might be every Texan's favorite; it's certainly one of mine and I'm a Californian!

The girl in the green plaid shirt right at the end is having such a good time.

Gary mentioned Amarillo.....

And armadillos

I can't leave out Lyle Lovett; he's been a favorite of mine since I first heard his music many years ago. He and Robert Earl Keen are doing shows together these days.

Pretty sure this the first of his I heard.

And just for fun, Ray Wiley Hubbard.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Hmmm.. That sounds like a lot of college freshmen I have known. :D

I taught a couple evening division tech courses to middle aged men taking advantage of employer sponsored education to earn promotions. They were exactly as Rhonda described. I attribute some of that to their being parents of college freshmen.

20 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Those are great, thanks for posting them! :D Some strong Austin flavor there.

Rodney Crowell is another great Tx singer songwriter:

That was very nice; I'd never heard it. Rodney Crowell's another keeper; I think I first heard him with Johnny Cash in "The First Time I Heard Johnny Cash Sing 'I Walk the Line'." There are just so many of them. One of Crowell's very cool song was one he co-wrote with his then mentor Guy Clark (She's Crazy For Leavin'). And that brings up the late Guy Clark, who may have been the greatest singer-songwriter of them all. I had just heard one of his songs for the first time recently and sent it to a friend of mine. He wrote back that he didn't like Country (a friend on these very forums has that same opinion). I'm trying to lead them to the light. The forum friend didn't even like DYLAN! I named myself after him! I was crushed, but I persevered and I actually got her to admit she was starting to like him. Country's next.  This is the song I sent to my friend; it's really what we used to call "Folk Music" (which we loved) but all I got was "Don't like Country". Sheesh. Guy Clark (another Texan), "Desperados Waiting For A Train."

On 1/22/2018 at 2:13 PM, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I'm some kind of weird outlier then. I love cilantro but I can't stand stink bug smell. I avoid them like the plague (I've never actively and knowingly avoided the plague, but I imagine I'd be fairly vigorous in such an endeavor). We get fairly high numbers of stink bugs around the end of summer and if I have to get some out of the house I try to do so in such a way as to disturb the noxious things as little as possible. I definitely wouldn't use my Dyson to clear them out, unless I had the convenience of a nearby disposal volcano.

Interesting (?) fact, due to my oddball receptors, I have never smelled a skunk. :)

From Maddy in another thread

I thought of Wile and the Roadrunner as you described when I was young. I've grown to truly admire Wile over the years. He's ultimately doomed by his lack of self reflection, but he's got perseverance. And that's the thing I love about him.

I mentored young entrepreneurs for a few years in the early aughts. They shared Wile's hopeful perseverance and a good bit of his cluelessness. I eventually stopped mentoring when I realized I was saying "no" far more often than "yes" and worried I was a roadblock to the potential success of one of the fledglings. I was told at the time that my experience was valuable as a protection against failure, and encouraged to continue, but I remained unconvinced.

Dumb luck doesn't stand a chance when smart people offer guidance.

When I was younger (much much younger) my favorite cartoon character was the Tasmanian Devil.   I was ... a strange young woman ...

By my 30's I was solidly in the Daffy Duck camp.  He always had the funniest skits!  And then in Babylon 5 (a sci-fi show) a human described a poster* of Daffy to an alien as the  Greek  Egyptian God of Frustration.

7547ae4d73c087d14fa834e7bef1764f--babylo

*it wasn't a poster, really, but a framed towel.  I want one of those towels!  And a matching toothbrush.  Because mega-geektress!!

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.