Replying to locked threads

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is not a complaint or anything like that, I'm just curious.

There is a thread on the forums that has been locked for a few days now - for very good reasons. The strange thing is that there are still new replies added it. The last one is only a few hours old. How is that possible?

Edit: Woops, I should have looked closer. That last post was actually by a moderator telling he was locking the thread. ;)

I suppose the answer is the thread was locked and then briefly reopened then.

Edited by ChinRey

The last post in that thread is a bit confusing. SuperTom locked it and posted about the lock, but that post has gone missing. Then Corky locked it, with a confusing post that, to the best of my recollection, is in the same place where SuperTom's was, and giving the indication that some 'bad' posts were made very recently - or Corky has slept through all but the last bit of the 15 page thread :)

I think you're probably right, ChinRey - that the thread was briefly reopened while we weren't looking.

Edited by Phil Deakins

I would assume that, being moderators, they have the power to post in a thread even after it's been locked. No need to unlock it.

I'm guessing also that they needed a bit of a "moderators' meeting" before agreeing on the final post, as well as needing a bit of time to tidy-up the thread of the most offensive nastyness. Hence the delay from thread lock to final word on the matter.

So lock first, discuss way forward and response, tidy up the thread and then add final post.

Edited by wesleytron

I've remembered that it happened before where a thread was locked, and then reopened after it had been sanitised. The thing I don't understand about this one, though, is why the post by the mod who first locked it (SuperTom) was removed. It ends up with part of the final post, by the mod who locked it again, making no sense.

7 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I've remembered that it happened before where a thread was locked, and then reopened after it had been sanitised. The thing I don't understand about this one, though, is why the post by the mod who first locked it (SuperTom) was removed. It ends up with part of the final post, by the mod who locked it again, making no sense.

Interesting.  When I first saw that it was locked, there was no post as to why it was locked.  My post was the last one in the thread - actually my true last post was after that post, but had been removed along with roughly 3 pages worth of posts.  Then much, much later, Corky added his comment.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Interesting.  When I first saw that it was locked, there was no post as to why it was locked.  My post was the last one in the thread

That was what got me confused because the thread showed up as locked before you posted that one.

Even stranger, when I checked the forum today - a few hours after I opened this thread, the discussion was marked as having new replies again.

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm amazed that there were 3 pages of posts after that.

No - there was a bit over 3 pages total (throughout the thread) deleted.  At the time that I made my last 2 posts, the thread was on page 18, about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way down, I think.  Now, that one last post of mine is the first post on page 15.  So roughly a bit over 3 pages worth were deleted when they closed it down - plus anything else that did come in after my last one.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

No - there was a bit over 3 pages total (throughout the thread) deleted.  At the time that I made my last 2 posts, the thread was on page 18, about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way down, I think.  Now, that one last post of mine is the first post on page 15.  So roughly a bit over 3 pages worth were deleted when they closed it down - plus anything else that did come in after my last one.

Ah. Then it's currently the same as when SuperTom locked it. Your current last post is the first on the last page. That's where it was when the thread was first locked.

Judging by Corky's unclear post it seems like the thread was reopened, a few more posts were added, which were then deleted along with SuperTom's post, and then locked again.

ETA: Right now, I'm starting to question my memory. I'm certain that SuperTom locked the thread and posted at the end, right after your current last post, but I'm beginning to think that I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

No - there was a bit over 3 pages total (throughout the thread) deleted.

That explains why I was confused at first. I saw your last post, couldn't remember to have seen it before - certainly not as the last one - and thought it had been added after the thread was locked.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.