Clock Error Preventing Log in??

chatsitediva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am Trying to log in and keep getting this error:

Login failed.
Often this means that your computer's clock is set incorrectly.
Please go to the ControlPanels and make sure the time and date
are set correctly.
Also check that your network and firewall are set up correctly.
If you continue to receive this error, please go
to the Support section of the Secondlife.com web site
and report the problem.

My clock is fine.

I've never had problems using this computer before with SL but recently had to reinstall it.

(I had removed it since my young son was using this comp.)

I have no programs that would block SL.

Help?

11 answers to this question

You may get that error message if any part of the date is wrong (check the YEAR).  Some systems do not automatically adjust for daylight savings, or if you change time zones either, so check that.

Other than those things, the other common cause of the error is trying to run SL on a computer that has an outdated operating system (like Windows XP, which is not supported by either Linden Lab or Microsoft).  Viewer software that detects outdated security certificates will kick up that error.

If you have checked all those things and still have a problem, all you can do is submit a support case (if you are a Premium member).

Edited by Rolig Loon

Try installing a third party viewer. I recommend having two viewers, just for situations like this, in which one isn't working. You can find alternates here...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Firestorm is the most popular of the bunch. If you are able to log-in using an alternative viewer, the reinstallation of your old one may have gone haywire, perhaps because not all of the lint from the initial installation was removed. You'll find instructions for a clean install of Firestorm here...

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_install

Those instructions should work, or at least guide you, for a clean install of the official viewer.

If an alternative viewer also can't get it, it's time for that support case.

Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Solo Linden said:

no, anyone can create a support case :)

But not all kinds of support cases.  As a Basic member, you may not submit a case in any technical category, for example.  See the full list here >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Types_of_Support_Case

If you want to submit a support case in a category that is not covered for Basic members, you may want to consider buying a one month Premium membership.

19 minutes ago, chatsitediva said:
28 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Viewer software that detects outdated security certificates will kick up that error.

Ok. Time, DATE is correct....

What does that Refer to?

That refers to what happens if you are using an outdated operating system like Windows XP or if your viewer software has been damaged, as Maddy suggested.

8 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if i'm remembering right from long time ago, this can be caused by a nearly unloaded battery on the MB,

You're right. It's been a long time since we had one of these, so I had forgotten about that one. It's the small battery on the motherboard that keeps your internal clock and the CMOS running, not the main battery that you would have on a laptop. Those little batteries should last a really long time normally. If one starts to fail, it can cause erratic clock behavior.  It's easy to replace in a desktop, but you'd probably need to take a laptop to the shop.

This login issue comes up pretty often actually & noone seems to have worked out the cause yet when it isn't something obvious like the computer clock/date being incorrect or the login/grid cert has expired (happens on Aditi sometimes).

I made a list of the most recent JIRA issues reporting this login error message.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.