Adams Scarmon

I don't ''get'' Sansar

1 hour ago, Majskakan said:

There are actually a lot of hairs in the shop that are similar to SL hairs. I have to use freebies as im EU and there are payment problems if u are not US citizen atm. I dont mind, its beta and its free :)

Example:

spring.jpg.4c9170de9e64739e4731aafa6a28a845.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

You still get faster motion sick in secondlife with the poor framerate on flat desktop screen. Then in sansar with my VR set or flat desktop screen.

Hmm... I have never ever got motion sick with flat desktop screen.
Not in Second Life, not in Sansar. In fact not anywhere.

I might get motion sick using VR goggles, because I get easily seasick on boats in rough weather.

My daughter can get motion sick in certain games actually (flat desktop screen). Especially if she hasnt disabled head bobbing but otherwise too sometimes. Iv never gotten seasick myself so Im quite sure i could use VR goggles without issues. Tho still the fps is too low, which is uncomfortable for some ppl, so they have to improve. 

So after getting hit with a bunch of ad's for Sansar I did some digging and ran across this.

I haven't played it yet as I don't got a headset, spent all my money getting a graphics card that was up to the task of running vr. now I gotta save up for a headset. Which this is why I think VR is so much slower to take off then many of the other reasons i've seen mentioned in this thread.  the thing is that unless you already got a really beefy computer the cost to get a the upgrades to the computer to get it to work and the cost of the headset is more then the cost of the current day flagship consoles. And even if you do have a computer with enough horsepower to run vr the headset it self depending on what one you get can still be more then the price of some current gen consoles. really I think this is more the driving factor. the fact that some people get motion sickness also doesn't help but I agree with those who says that a large portion of the population doesn't, I also think that portion is large enough that if that was the only major problem it would still be seeing a much better reception then it is.  Thing is for as fun and amazing as vr is, well there's only so much to do in there right now, and to top it off the Rift costs arround $400 and you need a computer with enough horsepower to run it, and even if your Tech savvy enough to build a computer from parts, and your starting with a computer that has a decently powered CPU and proper RAM, it will still cost where from $250-$1000 to get a gpu with enough horse power and that's just for the part.
So best case scenario is $400(Rift by itself),   middle case:$650(Rift plus cheapest vr ready gpu I could find)  worse case $1238+ (parts to build a tower with enough horsepower and the rift, it could be more depending on what you get and if you put it together yourself or not.)

Consoles:  when I looked up the Switch, the PS4m Xbox one s  they all priced in at around $300  worse case is you need a new tv.  I saw wall-mart had those off clearance for around $200 and they had some on clearance for $100.  so your best case there is $300 mid is $400 and worst is $500+  and your likely to find way more games and games that can be shared much more easily.  

is it really any wonder why more people will buy a console instead of going for VR? Especially if they hear there's a good chance of getting sick by playing it.

I've done the gear vr (the one on the samsung phones) a lot until I upgraded my phone and found the newer ones will not work with the older headset.  From that I know I didn't get the motion sickness problem. Nor did anyone I tried it out with.  So the motion sickness thing is least something I never had to deal with. I'm sorry for those of you who do.  Still I bet there's a lot of people who like me would be into VR but aren't because they simply can't afford it.

From what I've seen from the screen shots and looking at the market place.  Sansar reminds me of the "High Fidelity"  Game though that game does have a non vr mode.

Edited by Akari Firanelli

You don't need a VR headset to enjoy Sansar. I've been in and out of Sansar for nearly two years now and still only have desktop. I enjoy it a lot just using desktop mode. I wish I could do VR, but I'm one of those who throws up just going to a 3D movie so it's not likely I will ever adjust to a VR headset and I'm not wanting to spend $400 to test that theory. 

I have been in Sansar for a while now, it is the most disjointed thing ever. The experiences take forever to load, there is no connection between any of them. The avatar hardly works or moves in any logical pattern. Building an experience, where do you start, no inworld help at all. When I log on to a new version, nothing has changed, the avatars are still disjointed in movement.3D mouse still does not work with Sansar

VR headsets restrict typing, (I am not a touch typist) Any one you meet never reply’s. it is a very clicky place to be in.

In my book it is a dead duck, many I meet in SL say the same.

We on SL pay sim tiers, for SL. Not to go into Sansar. SL has real problems with sim crossings when sailing or using transport. A problem that LL refuse to address, it is time LL puts some time and resources into sim crossings, they have hardly improved in the 11 years I have been on SL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamus Bing said:

SL has real problems with sim crossings when sailing or using transport. A problem that LL refuse to address, it is time LL puts some time and resources into sim crossings, they have hardly improved in the 11 years I have been on SL.

Wrong thread ... points to the General Discussion board and the town hall meeting thread

1 hour ago, Pamus Bing said:

Any one you meet never reply’s.

Try using voice. 90% of those there are using voice and rarely look at chat; however, there have been some changes recently that does make using the chatbox easier in VR mode.

ooh so it does have a desktop mode all the ad's I saw made it look like it was vr only. might take a look sometime then

Well that would make sense that most are in voice chat mode if text chat is difficult in vr mode and that seems to be the one they are pushing so hard.

On 1/9/2018 at 3:32 PM, Adams Scarmon said:

Downloaded Sansar today..

I heard a lot of stuff about it but I dont really get it.

Is it a new SL where you can create things?

It kind of reminds me of a glorified IMVU without the cool stores to buy things.

What exactly is LL trying to achieve with Sansar?

It seems to me MILLIONS of USD were invested in a project that just doesn't seem justified enough.

I can't stop imagining how more wonderful SL would have been if that money was spent on .. SL.

Are we just the cash cows to finance Sansar?

sansar reminded me of a game engine before developers created something with it example unreal engine unity etc

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/what-is-unreal-engine-4

https://unity3d.com/

and yes that is of course where they got the money from Second Life

I miss being able to buy L$ from 3rd party resellers in Second Life

Sanar reminds me a lot of IMVU but without any form of content purpose direction or support

https://secure.imvu.com/welcome/ftux/

wowza... what a long thread...

So what ended up happening with the experiences included with our accounts?  There was a lot of back and forth on that in this thread.  I have a lot more than three available in my subscription, but I have had an account since well over a year ago.  Did we luck out on something there? Or do premium SL users get a bonus or something?

Edit: nevermind, I found the details, wow 20 is a lot for free tier, seems to undervalue the paid tier a bit no?  Or does that come with more than it seems?  I guess it makes sense to give a lot of land out, so people do lots of different things!  Exciting!

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

3 hours ago, iceing Braveheart said:

Sansar Second Life 2 in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jG614G-kXg 

I think this is more fitting, its fantasies of deep learning computers that have been taught how to enter a human like dreamspace. 
The song is great too!  We're not doing it for the money. :)

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, Blush Bravin said:

You don't need a VR headset to enjoy Sansar. I've been in and out of Sansar for nearly two years now and still only have desktop. I enjoy it a lot just using desktop mode. I wish I could do VR, but I'm one of those who throws up just going to a 3D movie so it's not likely I will ever adjust to a VR headset and I'm not wanting to spend $400 to test that theory. 

You really sort of do to some extent. Some experiences are really vr heavy and even doing some things properly require a vr headset to be enjoyed. For instance there was an experience with a basketball. You couldn't interact at all without a VR headset and then when you could interact with objects that didn't require a vr headset it was just done so poorly. Overall they need to get the experience down for non VR to be much more interactive properly. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

taught how to enter a human like dreamspace

The best description of VR...walking into a dream...

Hello,

My wish list for Sansar, to get it better, is a flag to inverse mouse mouvement for head when we are not in VR mode. And in edit mode , a choice to use classical camera movement as it is on Second life or better on 3D software. Even camera movement like Blender can be helpful in edit mode.

For the rest Sansar is still in beta, so give it the chance to grow, of course I hope they will "fix" the problem with ratio between $ and Sansar $.

Best Regards, Motoko Oanomochi

to me it seemed as if sansar was released before it was finished being developed. i think l l should at least put it back in beta mode and do a hell of a lot more work on it until it is up to sl standards. and if they do not want to do that then they should just scrap sansar and chalk it up as a LL FRAILER. and count there losses. they have a great thing with sl. and sl is still to this day a big hit. they should of never pushed the envelope by creating a whole other world like sansar. cause they fell flat on their face there and it shows. and they should of never took out the vr option in the viewer. that was another big mistake. they need to bring that option back to sl. i'm not the only one that wants to see that option back in the viewer  if i asked how many would like to see the vr option back in sl. i am sure this topic on this page would go on for like a 100 pages more about all the people that want to see it again back in sl. i do not know were lindan lab is going to go from here. but if Linden Lab  people developers of sl and all the sl powers that be if you are reading this and others posts about this please take heed and bring back the vr capabilities in the viewer.

16 minutes ago, DYNASTY Clip said:

to me it seemed as if sansar was released before it was finished being developed. i think l l should at least put it back in beta mode and do a hell of a lot more work on it until it is up to sl standards. and if they do not want to do that then they should just scrap sansar and chalk it up as a LL FRAILER. and count there losses. they have a great thing with sl. and sl is still to this day a big hit. they should of never pushed the envelope by creating a whole other world like sansar. cause they fell flat on their face there and it shows. and they should of never took out the vr option in the viewer. that was another big mistake. they need to bring that option back to sl. i'm not the only one that wants to see that option back in the viewer  if i asked how many would like to see the vr option back in sl. i am sure this topic on this page would go on for like a 100 pages more about all the people that want to see it again back in sl. i do not know were lindan lab is going to go from here. but if Linden Lab  people developers of sl and all the sl powers that be if you are reading this and others posts about this please take heed and bring back the vr capabilities in the viewer.

Sansar *is* in beta mode. It'll be a couple years before it's ready to be released at the rate they're going.

• Thanks 1

they sure fooled me cause they use to push it as is sansar was already released for good. but anyway i hope they make a hell of a lot of improvements on it by sl standards before they release sansar for good. and for the love of god i hope they put the vr option back in the viewer for sl again. that was an ll big mistake

6 minutes ago, DYNASTY Clip said:

they sure fooled me cause they use to push it as is sansar was already released for good. but anyway i hope they make a hell of a lot of improvements on it by sl standards before they release sansar for good. and for the love of god i hope they put the vr option back in the viewer for sl again. that was an ll big mistake

LL couldn't get the framerates they needed in SL to keep people from losing their lunch with goggles. Considering that VR isn't that popular in Sansar or anywhere else, I doubt LL will try it again.

6 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

LL couldn't get the framerates they needed in SL to keep people from losing their lunch with goggles. Considering that VR isn't that popular in Sansar or anywhere else, I doubt LL will try it again.

There's actually some work started on VR support again for SL by a Resident with promising results so far.
I did notice one of the Product Engines (LL outsourced coders & QA) is also commenting on the Youtube & helping to test it, which is a good sign.
The source code & download link to the test version of Firestorm with VR is in the video description - though note this isn't an official Firestorm build so take your chances.

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

There's actually some work started on VR support again for SL by a Resident with promising results so far.
I did notice one of the Product Engines (LL outsourced coders & QA) is also commenting on the Youtube & helping to test it, which is a good sign.
The source code & download link to the test version of Firestorm with VR is in the video description - though note this isn't an official Firestorm build so take your chances.

So .... the person wearing the goggles doesn't have much of a field of view. Excellent, excellent. They'd have no idea if someone was coming up behind to, for example, set them on fire? I don't suppose there would be a way to tell who is wearing goggles, like make the avatars wear mesh goggles while using the viewer? No particular reason for asking -- a friend of mine is curious.