opening Mesh purchases

Gapsi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I am a newbie and bought some mesh products. but when I try to open it in a sandbox area the system tels me that i cannot drop mesh products I need to put it back in the inventory and change inworld rezzen. what does this mean?

#What I have to d?

Thanks for your help.

Do not DROP the box (in fact, avoid ever DROPping anything you are wearing -- generally a bad and potentially embarrassing idea).  Do not wear the box at all. REZ the box on the ground by dragging it from inventory with your mouse and setting it on the ground.

Along with the other comments it should be noted for ALL the new folks that:

1. EACH designer decides how to package there goods so there is NO ONE WAY (would be nice, but nope). 
  2. Some will have you attach a hud (a picture that shows up on your screen that you click) to open the box. 
  3. Some will have your WEAR an item (it could be a shopping bag or an owl on your shoulder -- almost anything).
  4. Some will want you to REZ the item in a sandbox. 
  5. And a very few old timers like me who spend WAY too much time opening boxes and typically are selling just ONE item not a collection -- will actually just give you a copy of the item in a folder in your inventory OR the item will appear in your OBJECTS folder.

Some "rules" to think about:

• Best not to WEAR (which can easily take off another garment you are wearing) but to ADD the item. If it is a chair from my place (insert smile here) then you can DETACH said chair but do not DROP it (littering is a bad idea as mentioned). 
  • If the item is a box or a crate or something that doesn't open automatically, then you need to rez it somewhere like a sandbox. THEN you can open it. 

The bad news is that often you have NO idea which of these choices is thee right one. Some creators (clapping here) actually put (rez) or (add) in the description.  So for ALL of us, it is a guessing game.

Some scripts that are supposed to give you the items will not give out some items depending on the permissions set and so you can ONLY get all the items by rezzing --- even if it is a one sided photo hud (messy). 

That's pretty much the whole story.

Welcome. Stick with it. It does get easier over time!  :D

On 1/8/2018 at 3:48 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Some creators (clapping here) actually put (rez) or (add) in the description. 

Some scripts that are supposed to give you the items will not give out some items depending on the permissions set and so you can ONLY get all the items by rezzing

This is the really frustrating part.  The creator sets up a script to give the items and adds "(add)" to the description, however they also put 'no copy' items in the package.  You add the object and end up with a nice shiny new folder containing your stuff.  Then, people like me, not knowing any better and wanting to keep a clean inventory, delete the original box.  Then RL or something happens and you don't actually end up trying the item on for a few days -- but you've emptied your trash in that time.  When you put the item on, you discover that a piece is missing -- because the creator set it to 'no copy' and thus the unpack script will not actually unpack it.  If you are lucky, you can get a redelivery on the item.

I now ALWAYS rez everything.  If the rezzing automatically creates a folder, I then check the folder contents against the box contents and pull over anything missing.  It the rez did not cause an auto-unpack, I then 'Open / Copy to Inventory' the old fashioned way.  

If the rezzed item ends up being a HUD, it might or might not automatically deliver the package.  If needed I'll actually attach the HUD to get the delivery.  Deliveries via HUD do not have the "script will not unpack 'no copy' items" problem.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.