Classic Avatar, One Size Fits All Dress...

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, 

No, I'm not selling a one size fits all dress for Classic Avatars.  I BOUGHT a one size fits all dress for Classic avatars, and am wondering if any other designers are planning to make these kinds of one size fits all clothing for Classic avatars.  In the one size fits all dress for Classic avatars, there are no sizes.  It adjusts to the Classic avatar of your own shape.  

This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I need more clothes like this, without all the confusion of Classic or Mesh avatar.  

That's the way that system clothing always works for Classic avatars, because it's simply a texture "painted" on the avatar body.  It's also the way that clothing that is worn by using an applier works for mesh bodies. Those of us who are older than mesh -- I almost wrote "older than dirt" -- grew up in SL with only that option (except of course for prim attachments).

If you are thinking of "Fitmesh" as opposed to system clothing it's great the particular dress fit you until recently when i was still using a classic body sizing was all over the place i could try a fitmesh size and not have it fit as well as a sized or mesh body version really i'd have to try every included size and go with the best fit since going mesh i can buy something for my particular body using alpha cuts as required and it's a perfect fit every time

I have been in SL for 12 years,  and I have made both mesh and system layer clothing for avatars.  Painted on System Layer clothing doesn't need to be different sizes cause it is just a texture..   Then there is Rigged Mesh in standard sizes and that definitely has to be different sizes and be used with a alpha layer,  then there is Fit Mesh in for classic avatars,  and it has to be in a few different sizes as well and still used with an alpha layer...  The fit mesh can be adjusted using sliders but that does not always work either depending on the shape of the body and the area that needs to be changed may not react to sliders.. BUT I have never seen a mesh dress in only one size that will fit any shape original classic avatar..  never!  So I would  be very curious to know where you found this dress.

I will message you and tell you Tazzie and you can get the demo.  Actually, it fits medium, small, xs and xxs.   And, there is only one dress for all these sizes.   

But, anyhow, this is amazing.  I think it's great, and there has to be a way to make this work.  I have very tall avis which are very slender with a long torso and the dress fits 'cept maybe just a little big in the hips, but not much.

So this is a fitmesh dress for Classic avatars?  Wow.  Well, this is awesome.  The dress makes the very tall long torso look of my avi, too. 

I hope this is the future because it's very confusing the way clothing is now.  

Edit in:  I just wanted to say, I think the dress is attaching to the upper round part of the breats on the Classic body and just below the knees, so it knows how long it should be; thus the long torso which looks like my Classic avatar body.

But why the alpha if it's fitmesh?  If I may ask.   Why can't this fitmesh dress for Classic avatars move with the avatar and get rid of alphas?  

p.s  I'm going to try this one size dress with a large bust and see why the designer did not include a large.  

Edited by FairreLilette

9 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

But why the alpha if it's fitmesh?  If I may ask.   Why can't this fitmesh dress for Classic avatars move with the avatar and get rid of alphas? 

Fitmesh clothes often only work over a limited size range, which is why alphas are often supplied and you often see different sizes like "Fitmesh S", "Fitmesh M", etc. I have never examined it, but I imagine true "one-size fits all" mesh clothes would probably be compromised in some way, like textures being badly stretched/compressed at extreme shapes or the shading looking wrong.

Edited by angeoco

Alpha masking is required for a reason: not all dress shapes can get a weight copy such perfect to not have some skin poke through. Plus, the classic avatar skin weights aren't exceptionally well made, in my opinion. As angeoco said 

1 hour ago, angeoco said:

I imagine true "one-size fits all" mesh clothes would probably be compromised in some way, like textures being badly stretched/compressed at extreme shapes or the shading looking wrong.

When shapes get too extreme, you may be noticing sort of "cracks" along the mesh between bending areas, where one side sharply overlaps another. An example is on the back of the shoulder, where the arm bends. When the shoulders get a too narrow, you would see those cracks happen. On the reverse, the same area in avatars with very broad shoulders would show a strong stretching in those same areas. All this, IF some skin doesn't begin to poke through in the meantime.

If you look around on the net for Game Modding communities, you will see: deletion of part of the body that's covered by clothing, marking the areas somehow (vertex colors or joint based dismemberment/partition) or using alpha textures. SL uses textures. It's an inevitable process because clothing, most likely, gets a different geometry compared to the base body's, therefore the deformation data can't transfer that exactly. Hence the two geometries (body and overlaid clothing) will never have the same, precise deformation, very very close but not the same. That's why clothing is built keeping a small "grace distance" from the body (in SL, also for tattoo layers, as of now, when it comes to mesh bodies. In the future we'll have the texture baking service on meshes too). Most of the clothing perhaps works on all shapes, basically, but it might be that they get some distortions at some point, during the shape inflation/deflation, that looks bad and requires to have a separate starting shape to keep looking nice and undistorted.

in my opinion, you were very lucky to find a dress that fits you so well, but there's no guarantee that the designer did that on purpose, or it happened by chance. You should test this out for yourself, keep buying from this person and see how stable this feature is going to be across all of their products.

Edited by OptimoMaximo

Regarding this one size fits all dress, I was thinking about it and I think it works because it's sleeveless as part of the reason, perhaps because arms move a lot.  I also increased the bust size and it could stretch to about a 77 bust size on the edit appearance menu slider.  So, it could fit a large too.

Also, I bought a dress after trying a demo and thought it was this new kind of dress as it had no appliers.  This dress with no appliers is not for Classic avatars, it is for mesh avatars only.

Which brings me to my next question.  Why no appliers for a mesh body dress by this designer?  Are appliers going away?  And this is part of what I mean by "confusion".  It is confusing at times.  And from what I'm trying to understand here, this one designer then is making one dress for mesh avatar bodies, so either it fits your mesh body or it doesn't, take it or leave it kind of deal.  It fit my Classic avatar very well which is what I thought it was when I saw no appliers.   

Thanks for the replies!   I thought there was some new kind of "technology" happening here.  

An applier is a HUD for applying a texture to a mesh body, and will not work on a classic/system body. It's used for skins, tattoos, makeup, and tight-fitting clothes like stockings and underwear. It's equivalent to the layer clothes that you can wear on system bodies, and often you will find appliers and system layers packaged together for sale.

i wish there could be such a technology! However, i guess you're referring to "appliers" as the different versions for different avatars. That's up to the designer, and you may contact them to ask if they're willing to update the product including also the default avatar. However, many designers make fatpacks with a texture change HUD, which is a sort of applier. Again this is up to the sole discretion of the designer

Edited by OptimoMaximo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.