Rigging (without Avastar) Blender 2.79

Akishiro Naxos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've been trying to figure out why blender 2.79 has its issues for me to upload any rigged mesh into second life. I confirm rotation/size/location and double check all proper export selections are made, however after bringing the .dae file into second life and adding "skin weights" to be show in the window, there's an automatic deformation to it. I do know that I'm using the fitted mesh skeleton, and that once i transfer weights and adjust it properly, they all move correctly, however, It always has the same issue, despite configuring and setting things properly. I've gone through several different tutorials and have been using  blender for quite a while, but the new update seems to have changed some things. Any idea on how to fix the issue or anyone who could do a walkthrough for rigged mesh without using Avastar for blender 2.79, or would it be best to revert back to an older version?

I don't make rigged mesh and I can't (don't) use 2.79 because I had some issues BUT I can say that a lot of clothing makers that I know (and on another thread about weight painting) have gone back to a previous version of Blender or a couple of versions back in one case to get things to work "as they should". Also when 2.79 first came out the Avastar folks were in a tizzy because things didn't work. There was apparently also a new Avastar.

So yes, some things did change. I don't know anyone so far who has figured out how to use Blender alone (most everyone making clothes uses Avastar so not that many people trying I suspect).  

Maybe someone has figured out the issues and will add to this post. Hopefully!

Reading the release notes here https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.79

There is a compatibility warning for Rigify created rigs, hence i'm supposing that something has changed in how rigs are handled, internally. There might be dependencies from the rigify procedures that may affect Avastar too. Also, the Python API has got a couple changes that may affect how mesh and materials are being handled. But if you just imported a skeleton that has no dependency to Avastar or the Rigify add-on, it should work. I'm sure you've got all the export settings right, as there is much information about that. Just a single detail may have been overlooked though...

If you're using plain Blender, the first rule to Second Life compatibility is that your Avatar faces the +X direction. The default Blender expectation of having your character facing -Y and the arms spanning across the X axis doesn't impede the upload, but as a result everything is results deformed. Blender has a limitation on the mirroring functions on skeletons, where you can get a mirroring effect only across the X axis. You can work as much as you like using the default orientation, but when it's time to export, make sure your avatar rig faces +X, Apply Rotation (might be needed on both rig and mesh) and then export.

Please come back and tell us whether you got it working or not :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.