Jump to content

Second Life is filled with petty and rude people.


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

For all the supposed moderation I've seen some rather vicious people LL seems content to let run wild. Try explaining to SL content creators with no experience beyond SL about the issue of VRAM limitations sometime. Or telling a content creator who only sells no-mod content that setting content no-mod does not, in fact, protect it from being ripped. Try explaining to SL users that making everything larger has some serious, and costly, drawbacks. For some reason these issues really bring out a vicious streak in some people. Spend any amount of time discussing these issues and the SL userbase, forums or in-world, not only look excessively rude but kind of off its collective rockers. And I have never, ever, seen LL step in when people get out of line in these "discussions".

Forum aside, the marketplace is, as far as I can tell, completely lacking in any moderation whatsoever when it comes to abusive sellers. I've run across plenty who are deliberately lying to customers about the content they sell (the big one that ticks me right off is content creators deliberately labeling no-mod content as "mod" and LL doing absolutely nothing about it when you flag them listing). I've seen some of these sellers even take to the comments of their own marketplace listings to lay out huge, abusive rants, even bragging about how they're ripping their own customers off and LL allows these listings to remain up with no action taken against the seller even after the listing has been flagged.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well this thread took a couple turns only to fall off the tracks in the end. I'm happy to see that some of the conversations were educational and helpful. I'm also extremely happy to see how well the

I would hazard a rough guess that - in my ten and a half years in Second Life - I have encountered a total of maybe twenty or thirty people whom I would consider as "rude for absolutely no reason". By

Even on platforms out of Second Life such as Flickr where a large number of Second Life residents share, I haven’t encountered one decent person as many seem fixated on being rude for absolutely no re

Posted Images

I think rudeness needs to happen if its deserved. if you get triggered because i rate your one star worthy item with one star and decide the best thing to do is to im me with your triggeredness over the coarse of 3 months untill i decide i'm out of popcorn and block you (really happened) you better bet i'm gonna get hellah rude sister.

another thing is people on sl come from different backgrounds, upbringings, and cultures. so even if you think you've been decidedly mild you may have done something to spark the rudeness.

 

also do you make or post on any threads where you arn't complaining about something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Avaraia Aljon said:

I think rudeness needs to happen if its deserved. if you get triggered because i rate your one star worthy item with one star and decide the best thing to do is to im me with your triggeredness over the coarse of 3 months untill i decide i'm out of popcorn and block you (really happened) you better bet i'm gonna get hellah rude sister.

another thing is people on sl come from different backgrounds, upbringings, and cultures. so even if you think you've been decidedly mild you may have done something to spark the rudeness.

 

also do you make or post on any threads where you arn't complaining about something?

Oh, most certainly Avaraia. Right on point. ??

Also, Avaraia. To the latter, I suppose I could, but I am not active on the community board as many of you are. My sincere apologies, Avaraia. ?? I had no idea I was complaining about ‘something’ all the time as you put it. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Oh, most certainly Avaraia. Right on point. ??

Also, Avaraia. To the latter, I suppose I could, but I am not active on the community board as many of you are. My sincere apologies, Avaraia. ?? I had no idea I was complaining about ‘something’ all the time as you put it. 

your two previous threads where you talking about how you can't get friends because of your "backround" and then your race. now its this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Avaraia Aljon said:

 two previous threads where you talking about how you can't get friends because of your "backround" and then your race. now its this.

Ohhhh, gotcha. :o <slowly backs out of thread>

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The people can be rude and they can most certainly be petty.

Much of SL's demographics have changed over the years, but rudeness and pettiness have always existed to some degree or another. The key factor here is how one chooses to deal with it. By not allowing other people's malevolent demeanor to negatively impact or dictate your SL experience, you can bypass a lot of the unpleasantness that you encounter.

As for how I deal with rude people, it all depends on my mood. Most times I'll confront them about it, block them if the situation calls for it, then move on. Other times I'll just ignore it completely and go on about my day - each person handles it differently. How you choose to deal with it is entirely up to you. You know your personal experience here better than anyone, so none of us can really tell you if what you are feeling is right or wrong, but perhaps some of us can relate on some level or another and offer some helpful advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I don't know where some of you hang around inworld that you experience so much rudeness -- or, maybe I'm just a bit more tolerant regarding rudeness. On the other hand, I don't hang out on Mainland HUBs much,maybe that's why I've never met more than a handful really rude people a year.

That said, when it comes to text-only chat (and I usually don't voice at all), then about 80% of communication is lacking: Body language, tone of voice, loudness, and so on - pretty much everything you experience in face to face communication in RL. When chatting, we have only words to talk and to emote. And this lack of non-verbal communication makes it easy to misunderstand people, to assume rudeness when the reply or greeting is meant neutral. And because I'm used to text-only communication (through chat, forums, and the like), I don't assume, at all. When unsure whether or not there's rudeness, sarcasm or irony involved, I'd ask "sorry, but how did you mean that?" Simple as that.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

why are you people even bringing up what OP posted or felt in the PAST??

OP as has every right to their perception of any given moment , and if they feel the world around them is rude, then so be it, if it is green or red or brown, so be it I don't care really, but I am not dredging up past post's and positions of OP just to justify what OP is basing their thread on now.

Who knows? Maybe tomorrow OP will feel all Unicorns and daffodil and Rainbow Farts! And some rude ass returned my no copy  no mod tarot cards anyways thus getting them eaten by the asset monster and I can't do any more virtual predictions until then ¬¬

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter Stern said:

why are you people even bringing up what OP posted or felt in the PAST??

Because logic.

Its the first easily visible hint, that the rudeness she might encounter (we have got no specification of what situations she found to be filled with rudeness from others), does not come from an overwhelmingly mean population, that is naturally rude to her for no reason, but from her own behavior towards others. If you spend enough years in this forum, this type of story developement won't be new. It isn't the first time someone comes here, complaining about something and then another side of the story surfaces, that deconstructs the innocent victim role of the poster.

If you still think her past "behavior samples" shouldn't be used against her, she recently replied to tallis search for a partner in SL, disvalidating it by stateing "its just a game"...you know, I would call that rude. If thats how she usually acts, it wouldn't be a suprise why she encounters so many rude people. There is a german proverb for that "Wie man in den Wald ruft, so schallt es heraus", which losely translates to "The way you shout into the woods, that way it will come back to you", meaning your way of acting towards the world will be how you are treated. Also don't forget the people in this forum prefer to discuss things and like to seek solutions and answers, instead of just comforting people.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 12:46 AM, Ashlyn Voir said:

Even on platforms out of Second Life such as Flickr where a large number of Second Life residents share, I haven’t encountered one decent person as many seem fixated on being rude for absolutely no reason. I wouldn’t recommend the game to anyone really. Do you share the same sentiment as I do for this game? 

That's a lie, people in SL aren't like tha-

On 1/5/2018 at 2:38 AM, Hunter Stern said:

Well, if your head weren't so big and placed up under and yonder then you might share some of this 'make-believe' sentiment we, the top 10% share without Second Thought.

Oh, right.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the OP's first thread, about not being able to get any friends because of her past, then her contribution to BilliJo's thread about race-play - a thread that came about because of the OP's actions - and now this thread about everyone in SL being petty and rude, I suggest that the op (original post) isn't genuine at all, but is the product of someone who enjoys inventing drama just for the sake of it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

For all the supposed moderation I've seen some rather vicious people LL seems content to let run wild. Try explaining to SL content creators with no experience beyond SL about the issue of VRAM limitations sometime. Or telling a content creator who only sells no-mod content that setting content no-mod does not, in fact, protect it from being ripped. [...]

Ah, sorry, that was my fault. When I suggested they stop polluting SL with their no-mod "creations" they seemed a little triggered. Such snowflakes.

(I'm not even really joking. One way to drive me to mouth-frothing rudeness is the plague of no-mod content -- especially mesh clothing, thoroughly obsolete now that auto-alpha is standard for mesh avatars. And don't even get me started on no-mod vehicles.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

you guys all realize too, that there are plenty a comedians out there in this world, who are reported as complete rude jerk asses contrary to any perceived role or persona they may present on stage. So it is no suprise that OP apparently is miserable right? I bet they are a hoot inworld.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

why are you people even bringing up what OP posted or felt in the PAST??

OP as has every right to their perception of any given moment , and if they feel the world around them is rude, then so be it, if it is green or red or brown, so be it I don't care really, but I am not dredging up past post's and positions of OP just to justify what OP is basing their thread on now.

Who knows? Maybe tomorrow OP will feel all Unicorns and daffodil and Rainbow Farts! And some rude ass returned my no copy  no mod tarot cards anyways thus getting them eaten by the asset monster and I can't do any more virtual predictions until then ¬¬

If we're to forget people's past behavior, on what do we build trust? or lose it?

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

One way to drive me to mouth-frothing rudeness is the plague of no-mod content -- especially mesh clothing, thoroughly obsolete now that auto-alpha is standard for mesh avatars. And don't even get me started on no-mod vehicles.

Tell me an easier way to make you froth. I wanna see that, but not if it requires effort.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Judging by the OP's first thread, about not being able to get any friends because of her past, then her contribution to BilliJo's thread about race-play - a thread that came about because of the OP's actions - and now this thread about everyone in SL being petty and rude, I suggest that the op (original post) isn't genuine at all, but is the product of someone who enjoys inventing drama just for the sake of it.

So glad I missed that "race-play" thread...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Tell me an easier way to make you froth. I wanna see that, but not if it requires effort.

Well, one achieved it by telling me to take down my "RESIST" map ornaments. That's pretty low effort, but you do have to loan your soul to the devil.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've met plenty of what i'd term 'a***holes' over the years in Linden run experiences that i can't go to anymore who think they're more important than anyone else. You're ability to take part isn't as they expect, you've had to AFK or go to a sim you frequent everyday when they're in it, then the IM pops-up and their opening gambit is a barrage of abuse best thing to do is not rise to their bait let them know how pathetic they are then block and ban if it's needed. In majority of SL if you don't go looking for rude and petty people you won't find them

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...