Second Life is filled with petty and rude people.

Ashlyn Voir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Difficult to tell if it's simply a troll, or someone so burnt out that lashing out in verbal temper tantrums seems like a grand idea, maybe a bit of both? Who knows. It's been an interesting thread anyway though :D I'll be sad to see it go(ok, some of it can go, lol) 

My money is still on it being a troll, including back to her 'Can't get any friends' thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So, what has been learned students?

For the most part, this forum has some very decent, rule abiding members who care for the noobs who come in and help them as much as possible. There are members here who have known each other and in-world who have remained friends and compadres. That is a great attribute for anyone here. I commend you all.

Sadly, LL has a filter that prohibits some words from being shown. A common exercise found in some, but not all discussion groups. There are pros and cons on that subject, that will have to be another thread sometime. With that said, it's nice that one individual has demonstrated their ability to converse on an adult level. It's a small ability but unknowing, they demonstrated that everyone with opinions can come in and state their beliefs and desires.

So, I thank the ***** and ***** here who started with a common problem and turned it to herself all the way through. She showed that LL needs to update their word filter so trolls like her can come here and find, they can speak, but be civil. If and when this thread gets locked, we'll all know the trollish C & A who couldn't take simple suggestions.

ETA: The certain words, if plural, can get through. Again, thanks C & A, you did us all a solid. :SwingingFriends:

Edited by Jerilynn Lemon
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 5:29 PM, Ashlyn Voir said:

There are few nice people who’d even do such a thing and you were lucky to be one of the very few to experience such acts of kindness. 

Did anyone else catch this comment, where the person who thinks everyone sucks in Second Life’s ears perked up and is able to recognize kindness when it involves someone giving you money? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

I guess to some degree maybe everyone is that way. Maybe not purposely, but it’s human nature I suppose. Either way, this thread accomplished something and I made a new friend from it because they were kind and reached out to me. As many others have said before, what we give out is what we get back. Not always, but for the most part yeah.

I looked through your other recent thread where you were looking for a friend. Your exchange with BilliJo was after she was kind and reached out to you.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 2

When my kids get uber angry, you know those moments where nothing will suffice, and nothing will remove crabapple central from their still very much developing minds...it's usually because they need a nap, or a break. I think adults, even those with already well developed minds, need naps too.

My kids know when they get "the look" they best be walking back to their rooms to find something quiet to do, alone. I've never had to actually punish them, they're pretty darn good kids, but they have moments, and those moments necessitate "the look"-nothing more, nothing less. They're smart cookies and figured out pretty early on that "the look" meant "you've overstepped and better back down, now". Stubborn as they may be(and I love that quality in them, hell I own my own version), there is a point when they know a line has been crossed, and retreating is their best option. To be frank for a moment(cuz who wouldn't want to be frank for a moment, I hear he's awesome)...I'm not sure what I'd ever do to *actually* punish them, lmao, it's never gotten that far. When little they get the "counting to three", in 19+ years, I've never made it past 2...no clue what 3 would even entail.

That's my long winded way of saying...perhaps it is nap time, or break time, alone time, reflection time, whatever time. :D 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nalytha said:

Did anyone else catch this comment, where the person who thinks everyone sucks in Second Life’s ears perked up and is able to recognize kindness when it involves someone giving you money? 

Well mine did too simply because that post about being given help summed up certain bits of SL that I have enjoyed over the years. (totally random acts of being  nice just because, money or not).  Also partly because of the posters description of their benefactor :)

16 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

First, let me applaud you in the proper use of the plural form of you, especially with regards to a large number.

I thought it was "all y'all" rather than "all yall" -- i.e. it needs the apostrophe.  :D

How the he!! is this thread still going?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Different people interpret things different. Some time ago there was a post here from someone looking for volunteers to pose as models for pictures. I volunteered, but didn't hear back. When I asked him about it, I eventually got him to admit he thought I was rude. Now I will joke around, but I try to never ever be rude in RL or SL, yet something about my posts here rubbed him the wrong way. I think a  lot of the times people think other people are rude it is just people misinterpreting people, and some people are quick to assume others are wrong, so they see rudeness in almost everyone, while others give everyone the benefit of the doubt and so find SL a friendly place.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Difficult to tell if it's simply a troll, or someone so burnt out that lashing out in verbal temper tantrums seems like a grand idea, maybe a bit of both? Who knows. It's been an interesting thread anyway though :D I'll be sad to see it go(ok, some of it can go, lol) 

While it's easy to see the OP's attitude, it's difficult to tell whether the warped perception results in unhappiness or satisfaction. It becomes clearer with each post though that change isn't on the horizon, though we can still hope.

As has so often happened in the past, encounters like this have the unintended consequence of goading the rest of us into downright decent behavior. I can barely stand it.

...sets you all on fire.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I thought it was "all y'all" rather than "all yall" -- i.e. it needs the apostrophe.  :D

How the he!! is this thread still going?

That's how I say it..Mostly towards my boys..

I'm fixin tah light a fire up under all ya'alls rear ends here in a heart beat, if ya don't git tah cleaning up this room!!  I'm countin tah three!

One!

Two!

Th......

Nothin under those beds and nothing thrown in that closet either!

I never get to three with them..They just like to cut it close..

Anyways,I was doin some figurin and figured this thread could use the Pale blue dot..

So here all ya'll go!;):)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Different people interpret things different. Some time ago there was a post here from someone looking for volunteers to pose as models for pictures. I volunteered, but didn't hear back. When I asked him about it, I eventually got him to admit he thought I was rude. Now I will joke around, but I try to never ever be rude in RL or SL, yet something about my posts here rubbed him the wrong way. I think a  lot of the times people think other people are rude it is just people misinterpreting people, and some people are quick to assume others are wrong, so they see rudeness in almost everyone, while others give everyone the benefit of the doubt and so find SL a friendly place.

Now that's a real coincidence.

I was talking with someone today in RL, who said that my humour sometimes offends people. My nature is to entertain. I've been like that since I was 21ish. It comes out in several ways - singing, which used to be my livelihood, painting, but these days it's mostly just humour - saying things to try to make people at least smile, and hopefully laugh. I'm never rude with the humour, in any meaning of the word, but I do know that nobody can please everybody all of the time, and, of course, nobody's face fits with everyone. So occasionally someone will feel a little offended by my humour. It's a pity, because I'm not offensive.

On the other hand, a few months ago I started going to a weekly gathering and, just before Christmas, one of the women pulled me aside and I wondered, what have I done? She told me that I have brought "another dimension" to the group, and asked me not to stop coming.

It's not pleasant when someone says that I'm not appreciated, but my attitude is not not to care, because the humour is mostly appreciated. I know that I and my humour don't fit with everybody. I don't like it, but I accept it, and I won't change just for the few who perhaps misunderstand it.

I did apologise to the guy who mentioned it today. My humour was to flatter him, but he misunderstood it and he was offended, so an apology was in order. I just thought your post was quite a coincidence, Talligurl.

Edited by Phil Deakins

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

While it's easy to see the OP's attitude, it's difficult to tell whether the warped perception results in unhappiness or satisfaction. It becomes clearer with each post though that change isn't on the horizon, though we can still hope.

It could be a temporary satisfaction -- the belief that everyone else is bad while ones own self is the good one. But when that temporary power surge fades it's a very miserable state of existence to be in when one believes the entire world is a horrible place and bereft of any support or love.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

It could be a temporary satisfaction -- the belief that everyone else is bad while ones own self is the good one. But when that temporary power surge fades it's a very miserable state of existence to be in when one believes the entire world is a horrible place and bereft of any support or love.

My 96 year old emergency backup mom is like this. Everything is a tragedy, soothed only trashing those who don't give her the attention she deserves. I never noticed this behavior when I was young, but it's grown over time to the point it consumes her. I've done more for her over the years than any of her family members, to whom she now says I'm her "greatest disappointment". A trophy is a trophy, I'll take it. And it works for her too, she's made it all the way to 96 powered primarily by vinegar. It's perverse, but I suppose I hope she never sees the light. I think that would kill her.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

My 96 year old emergency backup mom is like this. Everything is a tragedy, soothed only trashing those who don't give her the attention she deserves. I never noticed this behavior when I was young, but it's grown over time to the point it consumes her. I've done more for her over the years than any of her family members, to whom she now says I'm her "greatest disappointment". A trophy is a trophy, I'll take it. And it works for her too, she's made it all the way to 96 powered primarily by vinegar. It's perverse, but I suppose I hope she never sees the light. I think that would kill her.

It's a shame she couldn't get treatment for it. With your backup mom it sounds like she has borderline personality disorder. I had a friend with this and she was a real pain, causing chaos within every group of people she encountered. She got treatment though and stopped blaming everyone, and is now able to function very well and earns her living as a therapist.

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Apple cider vinegar and water,it's the cure all for just about everything that ales ya.. :D

Baking soda and lemon juice is the clean all for just about everything that needs a cleanin..

hehehe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Apple cider vinegar and water,it's the cure all for just about everything that ales ya.. :D

Baking soda and lemon juice is the clean all for just about everything that needs a cleanin..

hehehe

I discussed this with extended family over the holidays. Despite all my probing and questioning, the concensus remains that apple cider vinaigrette doesn't count. The vinegar must be consumed with nothing but water. Doesn't matter that vinegar is mostly water, doesn't matter that the vinaigrette is mostly apple cider vinegar. The rules is the rules.

It's all good if you take it with a grain of salt.

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's a shame she couldn't get treatment for it. With your backup mom it sounds like she has borderline personality disorder. I had a friend with this and she was a real pain, causing chaos within every group of people she encountered. She got treatment though and stopped blaming everyone, and is now able to function very well and earns her living as a therapist.

96 is pretty late in the game to make changes and her health is starting to go. I've got pretty thick skin (skull, same thing) so I can wait her out.

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

96 is pretty late in the game to make changes and her health is starting to go. I've got pretty thick skin (skull, same thing) so I can wait her out.

I'm reminded of how my mother, on her death bed, asked if her sister was still alive - she was hoping to outlive her sister! But didn't.:x:ph34r:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.