Sign in to follow this  
574lk3r

Maya: Renderer, Lighting, Baking questions

Hello everybody!

I'm a Maya beginner, and I have some questions for you:

1. What renderer for Maya most of Second Life creators prefer using for texture baking: Mental Ray or V-Ray?
  2. What kind of lighting in Maya Second Life creators using to achive results like this:

White.jpg?1513948063uo6_0000s_0000s_0003_v_0000s_0003_Snapsh05c266d4-153d-2fa2-6e4e-460514066542.jpg

I mean, less shadows, dark spots inside and outside. Is it may special HDRI map? What do you guys think? Thank you!

Edited by 574lk3r

Maya ships with SolidAngle's Arnold from version 2017. Previous versions came along with MentalRay. I personally never liked MentalRay, therefore my first renderer was VRay. Basically, they do pretty much the same: physically based rendering. Therefore, it's hard to say this image was made using this or that renderer. The images you posted here, for example, who can really tell what renderer was used? In capable hands, a renderer gives the same realistic results.

Usually, the best way to begin the lighting stage of a scene setup is to have a nice HDRI image for some initial proper lighting. This simulates a fake environment from a picture, casting light accordingly. There are tons of free HDRI images online, many of which are studio lighting. All these images look like they were lit in a photo studio, don't they? Hence my guess of the use of such HDRI.

6 hours ago, 574lk3r said:

I mean, less shadows, dark spots inside and outside. Is it may special HDRI map?

Moreover, a render can be split into different "passes", each pass delivering a specific visual component of the final image. An example could be the occlusion pass, where the same object is being rendered using only ambient occlusion, which is later used for compositing. 

Now that Maya ships with Arnold, i'm all for it. But it all boils down to personal preferences.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1