Long Story...Multiple Questions

bustybabe91

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey guys... this is going to be one of those long posts with a back story and plenty of questions attached to it.  I'm sorry in advance and hope I'm asking in the right place on this since I couldn't find a better category to fit this topic under.

To make a long story short but still long, my friends and I have fallen victim to not your everyday average bully online in SL.  The problem has been going on for over a year now and we've ignored/tolerated his crap because of his good deed, that was well up until his recent threats.  Now we want to fight back and take action against him.

Because I don't want problems, we're going to dub this bully's name as Kenny.  Kenny always had a very trampling and interrogative personality.  Quick to assume and would always push people around (literally).  He would do that to me often too, but I would just ignore it.  It's just pixels after all and he had a point, it's a silly thing to get mad over.  But that still didn't mean I should have had to take it nor should have the other people he pushed himself into.  Fast forward to earlier in May of last year, Kenny got a child pedophile removed from the sim we used to frequent at before it closed down when he saw this person's involvement with a fourteen year old minor that they brought to an adult rated sim.  The minor was banned from the sim on the spot from the admin team and the pedophile's account got terminated.  However, because Kenny banned the pedophile, who happened to be a close friend to some of the people on there in the community and even the staff team before they knew what he was doing, the administrative team panicked and fell apart especially when Kenny also reported the owner for ban-evading and inappropriate pictures at his sim.  The ban-evader banned Kenny and then the estate owner came in and region banned Kenny because of the all drama.  The sim (not region) closed down when the owner was removed from the staff and the administrative team decided together to not keep it going when it became too costly and problematic to run.  Since the sim's closing, everyone has flocked off and opened up their own sims for people to go to including Kenny, but people kept Kenny banned from their new sims just because of what happened.

Through the months, a lot of people blammed Kenny for the destruction and loss of their home despite the good thing that Kenny did for the community.  I even assumed Kenny was a bad person not knowing the fully story until Kenny contacted me in PMs and asked me to meet him.  I was a bit hesitant but I wanted this drama to end and the sims to not be divided anymore after a year of hearing about the drama.  I got some friends together and we went to his sim to talk.  I could tell he was very upset by everything.  He told us what happened on voice and it completely changed my entire view of Kenny from the complete a-hole I thought he was into someone that I could respect for keeping the community safe.  It was then that I convinced my friends to stop grudge-banning him at their sims and let Kenny back into the circle.  I spent many weeks working on that since a few of those people just didn't want to hear it, but it wasn't until recently that because things weren't moving as fast as Kenny wanted, he decided to threaten these people that I was trying to get on his side as well as attack and burn the bridges with them especially when he came my friend's new G rated sim and saw he was banned.  He demanded to know why he was still banned and gave my friend and their sim an ultimatum.  It was to unban him within the next 24h or face an account suspension.  I as well three other people on SL have logs where he's come clean about the people he's gotten banned.  In his logs, he tends to uses it to show how bad-a$$ he is, using it as a crutch to hang over the victim, scare and manipulate them.  One of my friends unbanned him because he was so mental towards them that they next day they woke up and said I shouldn't have to unban him, he was mean to me and the guy makes me feel uncomfortable in my own sim that I pay a lot for.  A few of us also have where he's admitted in chatlogs that he knows someone from the LL staff team that has helped with his reports and bans.  Kenny not only threatened that friend and his sim recently, but also four other people I know and their two other sims as well in addition to the one.  No one wants him now on their sim because of his threats and now the problems he is bringing and Kenny can't seem to comprehend that is the reason why we don't like him now is because of his threats.  Kenny has claimed now to have written full detailed abuse reports on everyone and their sims and has already said he's filed an abuse report against the region owner who banned him from the original sim before it closed down.  I know you're probably thinking...just block the guy and everyone ignore him.  Well when we do, he uses/creates alt accounts (we've counted over ten so far and some of them are as old as 2007) to by-pass our mutes, sim bans, and he continues to STILL message and harass us because he doesn't understand why everyone is keeping him banned and thinks we're blaming him for what he did at the old sim still.

Is there anything that we can do against this person that continues to abuse LL's report system outside of filing personal abuse reports?  Please let me know what my friends and I can do about this.  This is NOT your everyday average bully.  I've ignored him for too long and it has only made the problem worse, and now I just can't sit back and watch him attack my friends and their sims.  I am sure I will be next and my sim when it goes up and enough is well, enough.

I've been reading the TOS and community guidelines and I can clearly see he is in violation of several of the community guidelines.  As quoted from this page:  https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/community-standards

"Harassment can take many forms.  Communicating or behaving in a manner that is offensively course intimiating, threating, causing annoyance, or alarm is not allowed."
"Assault is any act of violence towards a user's avatar including an act of intimidation or bullying, such as repeatedly shooting or PUSHING will not be tolerated."
"Tip: If abusive behavior is persistent, file abuse reports for EACH incident.  The disciplinary process works only if we are made aware of ongoing abusive behavior."

Because he reported my friend and his G rated sim that's a feral/furry hangout place, I also wanted to ask if you think he's not in violation of the TOS any.  His sim is a hangout and meet place with the occasional movie and board game.  You can also rent out skyboxes and buy custom anims at his shop.  It is G rated sim, but we all play as feral/furry creatures or animals.  Kenny said a G rated sim should not have animals with inappropriate body parts, but we use these for anatomical purposes more than anything.  Obviously, we're not going to do anything inappropriate on a G rate sim but did we go too far with that and is Kenny just playing around with us?  He claimed he reported the sim for that so we've stopped attaching those bits to us when we do go there and discourage it now.  My friend also advertises other adult sims (with posters) again nothing inappropriate but the fact it's adult content, it has me a little worried.  He has these experiance portals that warp directly into these adult sims as well.  We all work together in a feral network and advertise each other.  Could he get in trouble for that?  SL has a sim called Portal Park 1 (175,118,52), and it is also a G rated sim with portals that warp into adult areas...so maybe it's an acceptable gray area?  Though as quoted from the TOS, "A region that is designated G is not allowed to advertise or make available content or activity that is sexually explicit, violent, or depict nudity."  What do you recommend he do to protect himself?  I've suggested moving but he's not willing to do that since he is worried about losing his reputation with several content creators and people.  He also doesn't want to show sim instability by moving.

My next question is about reporting.  Is it true that when it comes to filing an abuse report, you have to submit that abuse report on the mainland in order for LL to see it?  I've been told that filing it anywhere else is pointless because the abuse reports go to the estate owner instead rather than LL and have heard this also through Kenny himself.  Curious on whether or not this is true or just rumor.  Anyone know anything about it?

Jesus this was long...and I hope I explained everything correctly to clear any potential confusion.  If not, please ask and I will clarify more.  I would have posted logs of said Kenny to show you more of his awful character, but I know it says in the TOS to not share logs or it could get you in trouble so I'm sorry I had to sum it all up in story mode.  Drama is the poison of SL a wise friend has once told me and I am just so done with all this.

***I will be altering this soon due to the fear that the person we are talking about will find out about this post***

Edited by bustybabe91

4 answers to this question

tl;dr

The bottom line is that you should each submit a concise Abuse Report that includes specific details (times, places, etc.) and points to particular portions of the TOS or Community Standards that you feel may have been violated.  Don't get really wordy and don't speculate about things that you have no knowledge of. Linden Lab deals with all Abuse Reports, regardless of where they come from, so you do not need to be on the Mainland.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

1. Each person harrassed should submit an Abuse Report, each and every time they are harrassed.  Include names, times, dates, locations.  You may include chat logs, but be aware LL does not consider them hard evidence, as individual logs can be edited.  Screenshots are sufficient.  Submitting the report from the location where the abuse occurred is efficient.
  2. When you suspect a person harrassing you is an alt, be sure to mention that in the report, and reference prior report(s).
  3. Mute the harrasser, and ban them from any land you own.
  4. DO NOT respond in any way to the harrasser.  This only encourages them.
  5. Keep right on muting, banning, and reporting.  When enough evidence accumulates, the harrasser will be permanently banned from SL.

You say the "sim, not the region" was closed.  In SL, the word "sim" is short for "simulator", and is used interchangeably with the term "region" by most people (even though there is a subtle difference, which only matters to techies.)  If a "sim" is closed, so is the region.  I think you are using "sim" to mean the venue, the club or roleplay area or whatever that was in being on that region.

From what you say, the person is a grade A jerk.  The fact that his jerk-ness caused at least one bad person to suffer is no excuse.  Mute, ban, report.  Rinse and repeat.

12 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You say the "sim, not the region" was closed.  In SL, the word "sim" is short for "simulator", and is used interchangeably with the term "region" by most people (even though there is a subtle difference, which only matters to techies.)

Just in case you are technically-minded, the simulator ("sim") is the software running on one of Linden Lab's servers.  It is common for people to refer to the server itself as a simulator and even more common for residents to refer to in-world regions controlled and managed by the server and its software as "sims". It's all very sloppy usage but in the end, as Lindal says, the technical crowd are the only ones who need to be precise about what they mean. B|

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.