Haselden

GE Gor or Other combat systems dead? Why?

How come this isn't Popular in second life. For example, I notice in second life theres not much to do except hang out, shop, some boring RP, or sex. However, how come  gor evolved, or other combat sims aren't popular?

Don't get me wrong By the book(BTB) gave gor a bad rap for the roleplay. However just playing the combat system and just getting stats such as this https://zcs.smi.sh/ makes pew pewing and downing people on other sims quite fun. Then spending the hard earn stats you get, and the zcs coins you make on mesh weapons etc.

I'm just baffled how come the combat in SL hasnt recieved quite much promotion. And bugs such as players logging on sims cause massive lag havnt been fixed. Is it really a low key market to fight in this game to?

Edited by Haselden

55 minutes ago, Haselden said:

I'm just baffled how come the combat in SL hasnt recieved quite much promotion

There are better platforms for running combat games.  Other than that (and the game system promotion) I don't really understand what you are saying or asking.

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

There are better platforms for running combat games.  Other than that (and the game system promotion) I don't really understand what you are saying or asking.

Yes, there are better games for combat such as Pubg, or Call of duty. However, second life has combat systems as well that work exactly like those games I have mentioned and its free.

For example, in Gor Evolved (GE) the combat system is a first person shooter. Roleplay is basically non existant maybe to enforce rules here and there. When you're bound you're basically out and cannot unbind or have your weapons not draw for 10 mins. I'm curious how come this isn't even talked about, for stats etc. There is no real combat section at all in forums? iknow of DCS combat system as well.

However, I find the ZCS/GM more appealing for fighting. Although I'd say the community for GE is quite small. In fact, i'd say about maybe 200-300 players do Gor evolve at most. I tend to see alot of the same people a day. If the combat systems were promoted abit in SL perhaps would give people more to do.

Edited by Haselden

Most combat systems are buggy/laggy, and quite a few that RP in SL don't actually have gaming computers so they can't handle fast paced movement etc.

There are lots of other games that are good alternatives for combat +roleplay such as Conan Exiles, ESO, Black Desert, Dark and Light to name a few.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haselden said:

If the combat systems were promoted abit in SL perhaps would give people more to do.

Most people in SL, apparently have no interest in doing laggy first person gorean combat. 

We did this dance not that long ago, PvP people claiming that if their insignificant minority were given special snowflake status and their own forum, then masses would flock to pew pew and this would "save SL".

6 hours ago, Haselden said:

I notice in second life theres not much to do except hang out, shop, some boring RP, or sex

I know this might come as a shock to a PvPer, but... Many people in SL PREFER doing those things to Gor Evolved PvP combat. 

Especially those who's automatic Gorean "Character Class" restricts their choice of weapons to "The Soggy Potato".

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Most people in SL, apparently have no interest in doing laggy first person gorean combat. 

We did this dance not that long ago, PvP people claiming that if their insignificant minority were given special snowflake status and their own forum, then masses would flock to pew pew and this would "save SL".

I know this might come as a shock to a PvPer, but... Many people in SL PREFER doing those things to Gor Evolved PvP combat. 

Especially those who's automatic Gorean "Character Class" restricts their choice of weapons to "The Soggy Potato".

well to point out your first issue about lag. That's mainly the sims fault for when someone logs in. For example when a player has entered the region will cause a dramatic lag spike in that zone. However, sims are apparently getting an overhaul when animesh is released. I was wondering if that lag issue was going to be fixed as well?

Like the meters, and tech seems to all work good as a gamer perspective, it's mainly just that lag issue that kind of can get annoying. In fact, I think the zcs meter is really polished in terms of gaming. When people host sword tournaments or bow tournaments to. You can expect a fair chance at getting some lindons.

To answer your other question I don't feel that way at all about having a special forum for gor. I just wish to know MORE about other combat systems. Maybe other sims that do PVP other then just GE gor. That is the point I'm trying to make as well.

I can understand people just wanting to have sex, rp, and all that stuff. In fact, that's the reason why I play second life as well. However, as a gamer I would like to see combat in it as well not seeing it demonized or a shock to people that PVP.

Edited by Haselden

9 minutes ago, Haselden said:

I was wondering if that lag issue was going to be fixed as well?

Don't hold your breath... This isn't an "All contend downloaded to your hard drive" FPS game, where a new player arriving on the map is just the server telling your client to load up body #23 and head #7 in color scheme #5 with gun #46, from your SSD, That lag spike is their avatar being read off the asset servers, loaded, put on them, and all its various scripts and so forth, starting up, even your combat gear, and starting up all the scripts causes a spike in script cpu time of 1000-1500%

13 minutes ago, Haselden said:

I just wish to know MORE about other combat systems. Maybe other sims that do PVP other then just GE gor.

Search inworld for combat sims, theres about 450-500 ish listed, and go visit and ask.

There isn't going to be a combat forum, thats official from Tommy Linden, in the long and vicious thread on why there isn't a combat forum.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Don't hold your breath... This isn't an "All contend downloaded to your hard drive" FPS game, where a new player arriving on the map is just the server telling your client to load up body #23 and head #7 in color scheme #5 with gun #46, from your SSD, That lag spike is their avatar being read off the asset servers, loaded, put on them, and all its various scripts and so forth, starting up, even your combat gear, and starting up all the scripts causes a spike in script cpu time of 1000-1500%

Search inworld for combat sims, theres about 450-500 ish listed, and go visit and ask.

There isn't going to be a combat forum, thats official from Tommy Linden, in the long and vicious thread on why there isn't a combat forum.

7 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

I havnt had much issue with the weapons causing lag. Infact, most weapon makers LR weapons, The Forge, Equinox, and VFMX all make light weapons where that issue doesnt really happen just when someone loads on the sim as you stated.

I would take in your second suggestion but that doesn't really work. 5d2063c8f5.png

Heh, if anything the attached animesh Kajira that will likely become de rigueur to the PvP rambos will likely lag the sim down even more each time someone TPs in or out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Haselden said:

I would take in your second suggestion but that doesn't really work. 5d2063c8f5.png

L2P

Sketch.thumb.png.a1ee4f27e01a25cb91a1f7a62c0239d8.png

Edited by Callum Meriman

18 minutes ago, Haselden said:

I would take in your second suggestion but

... You haven't figured out how to use search to best effect...

Do I need to teach you how to phrase search terms?

Now you know the correct way to search - not using the web search, but places - you cantake your first step and find the terms to use.

New Bastogne is a collection of 4 Sims devoted to World War 2 combat, using the VICE system. It also includes capacity for role play without pure combat - although that component isn’t as exploited as much as it could be.

Come and visit. Plenty of people will walk and talk you through it all.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2018 at 7:46 AM, Haselden said:

Yes, there are better games for combat such as Pubg, or Call of duty. However, second life has combat systems as well that work exactly like those games I have mentioned and its free.

For example, in Gor Evolved (GE) the combat system is a first person shooter. Roleplay is basically non existant maybe to enforce rules here and there. When you're bound you're basically out and cannot unbind or have your weapons not draw for 10 mins. I'm curious how come this isn't even talked about, for stats etc. There is no real combat section at all in forums? iknow of DCS combat system as well.

However, I find the ZCS/GM more appealing for fighting. Although I'd say the community for GE is quite small. In fact, i'd say about maybe 200-300 players do Gor evolve at most. I tend to see alot of the same people a day. If the combat systems were promoted abit in SL perhaps would give people more to do.

You'll find discussions going on amongst those communities on their own forums. When I first joined SL I played Combat Samurai Island regularly. Later I played on a RP sim that had its own integrated combat system. I tried GM and several other combat systems but didn't really take to them. Interest waxes and wanes like any other game, plus the developers may just lose interest in maintaining it if sales drop off.  I have many old weapons I keep for sentimental reasons that are completely useless now :P 

Anyway, not sure what there is to promote, as there is no standardised system.  It's up to developers to market their stuff.

As an ex-combat developer for DCS2, I would have to say that the quality people expect is greater than what we have now which is more on par with circa-2005 games than what you would expect today. What has put me off from combat in general is more of the quality of life issues when it comes to developing and using combat systems in SL.

First of all controls are pretty clunky for melee weapons to begin with compared to other PC combat games. If I had the tools to script combat similar to even the very first witcher game, I'd be a lot more happy but due to limitations of the Linden Scripting Language that would be a pipe dream.

The second issue is the animations. Not every weapon developer is an animator and even not every animator is really an actual animator. Many weapon makers depend on third party animations and many of those animations are poorly made and low quality by hobbyist like you and me who might be able to make a few key frame animations but they are not going to be anywhere near the same quality as you might find in any professionally created game.

Then there's playing the actual animations. All of your sword's animations might be loaded for you but the person you're fighting won't generally start caching them until you start activating them with your sword swings.. So what looks good to you might appear as static avatar pose sliding across the ground rather than moving their feet which really looks dumb. If you look up some SL combat videos on youtube you'll see what I mean.

You do get a bit of better performance when everyone is using the same brand of weapon because a weapon maker will reuse the same animations in several different weapons. Less to have to download and cache from the asset server, but that's never the case unless you are using a closed combat system as far as what weapons are available.

Third is the lag in general. There is typically too much latency for huds to work very well. Even updating your current health displayed over your head in text experiences latency

Lastly is that in some cases it might be cost prohibited. If you want to play using DCS, you'll need a DCS enhanced weapon if you want to be on any sort of even playing ground and most of those run between 2000 and 3000 L$ per weapon. So you shell out $8 to $12 for a weapon which suffers from the things mentioned above. It might have a very good mesh design but typically the animations when you move and fight are very bad compared to anything else you might play today.

There are less issues with projectile weapons, however most of the ones I have purchased and use tend to also have poor animations or create too much sim lag when the physical arrows and/or bullets start to fly when more than a couple of people are involved in combat at one time.

This is just my opinion about the state of live action combat. Vehicle combat is a better experience however what becomes the issue is sim size and crossing sim lines in the middle of the action. I hope this sheds some light on the matter for you.

• Like 6

On 1/8/2018 at 3:39 AM, Akane Nacht said:

You'll find discussions going on amongst those communities on their own forums. When I first joined SL I played Combat Samurai Island regularly. Later I played on a RP sim that had its own integrated combat system. I tried GM and several other combat systems but didn't really take to them. Interest waxes and wanes like any other game, plus the developers may just lose interest in maintaining it if sales drop off.  I have many old weapons I keep for sentimental reasons that are completely useless now :P 

Anyway, not sure what there is to promote, as there is no standardised system.  It's up to developers to market their stuff.

I guess because some people are curious why I enjoy GE gor.

• Like 1

On 02 February 2018 at 8:49 AM, Haselden said:

I guess because some people are curious why I enjoy GE gor.

No, not really...

Gor Evolved is pretty straight forward...

1. Want to own "Hot Bishes" and have them sit on the pillion seat of your official GE-MC Hogly-Dumbison Custom Choppa

2. Crossbows? Crossbows are for GURLS! Gimme mah AK-47!

3. Dark Age Tunics? Looks like a minidress to me, guys wearing minidresses can catch teh GAY!

Those seem to be the 3 main reasons for GE...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In Japanese, “bishes”/“bishies” = bishonen = beautiful boy/man.

Shhhhh! Don't tell the Evolved Goreans... They might get scared that they will catch "Teh GAY" that way...

;) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Shhhhh! Don't tell the Evolved Goreans... They might get scared that they will catch "Teh GAY" that way...

;) 

One could only hope!