Can't Connect to SL.com or SL servers

EverettDenied

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Followed all steps mentioned in this forum post: 

I've attached a screenshot of my issue.  Upon booting up the generic Second Life Viewer, nothing loads, no ads, nothing (see below image).  Upon login entry, the interface never loads one bit.  Exact same way in the forum post listed above.  

I was IMing another user in SL, when suddenly my connection to SL servers crashed--I was force logged-out.  I tried to access secondlife.com, and the page never loaded, as it didn't in the forum post.  

On my mobile device and laptop, I am also unable to connect to the website, or the servers.

If I disconnect from the wifi, only then is the website able to load (on my mobile).  Using my hotspot, my laptop successfully reconnected to the servers.

I turned off all firewalls on my PC, to no avail.  I flushed the DNS, no change.  Restarted computer, reset modem/router.  Nothing.  

I have my own wifi, I play plenty of other games and stream frequently.  I have no restrictions on my internet, or anything to that extent.  Any thoughts?

image.png

7 answers to this question

As it appears you're able to access SL via your mobile connection, it could be that your ISP has blocked SL. I'm not sure how DNS services are passed through a mobile phone, but if your phone redirects hotspot traffic to different DNS servers than your wi-fi connection, your ISP DNS may be momentarily borked. Flushing your local DNS settings won't fix a broken lookup table in the DNS server, but waiting for the periodic DNS refresh will. Try using Google's DNS servers...

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Good luck!

Have you tried connecting to your router/modem with an ethernet cable, rather than your wifi?  If a direct connection works, it's some setting in the wifi section of your router.  

If both ethernet and wifi are blocked, it could be a firewall setting IN YOUR ROUTER (not the firewall in your computer's antivirus).  Consult your router's manual for how to access its menu and open the ports needed by SL.

If that doesn't work, try Maddy's suggestion, or contact your ISP.

Old routers/access-points will have a challenge with SL's many required connections. A restart should correct the problem for a time. Since you tried that it is likely something else.

Since you ran through the steps of Troubleshooting Your Connection, what were the results?

As Lindal suggests, try a wired connection.

Look for things causing electrical interference.

Can your laptop connect if you put it on a different network, library, coffee shop, friends? Try some place outside your neighborhood.

I've been dealing with a similar problem on and off for the past month. Randomly, it is impossible to connect to SL and even access to most secondlife URLs (sometimes it drops while connected). When I do a traceroute to SL servers it systematically shows a timeout between these nodes : level3.par04.atlas.cogentco.com and LINDEN-RESE.bar1.Phoenix1.Level3.net

I've tried using different DNS but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Oddly enough, when this happens I'm still able to connect to SL with Lumiya using my ISP LTE network (my ISP provides fiber and LTE). The traceroute shows a different path through LTE though.

My bet is the ISP is to blame here, as when these blackouts occur, I can't connect to Steam either.

My ISP doesn't want to acknowledge the issue. For SL the timeouts apparently occurs on a Level3 Computing node. 

So far these connection issues have occurred every single day for more than a month. They last up to three hours and at random hours.

I don't stay on the grid all day but it's pretty annoying when it happens.

Your ISP likely has a license with the city or county. Start complaining to the overseeing agency. Ask them if there is a way to file a formal complaint.

The tracert should show where the problem is. With that info included, the city will be more likely to be on your side.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.