You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It’s a good article. I remember graduating college right in the middle of a really bad recession with zero job prospects, spending 8-10-12 hours a day on SL. The irony was, there were people that would say things like “You’re never around....”

Since then, I’ve reduced my hours to a couple hours every other day, or maybe the weekends. Having a job that frowns on being on SL helps, so does getting married. I always was a little envious of people that had a job that allows them to be on SL, play video games, etc. Thinking about it though, I tell myself I’m not really missing out on anything.

I’ve read horror stories about people playing MMOs for hours on end until they died. So it’s definitely a thing. One of my biggest fears about VR/AR....is that the more immersive it becomes, the more of a thing it’ll become.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I’ve read horror stories about people playing MMOs for hours on end until they died. So it’s definitely a thing.

In all those cases, the people were already not in the best physical health and also never got up to eat and drink something. The hours alone dropped into the game were often not that high. If they ate and drank enough and got up a couple of times, the worst thing that would have happened would be that they just fall asleep while sitting at their desk. Its still far more likely to die from other addictions like alcohol and drugs or suffer from longterm smoking effects. But gameing has always gotten the harshest and most shocking news articles, compared to the numbers actually related to it. Just like everyone always blames games for violence...ignoring that the person usually suffered from a lot of real life problems at school or in their family.

Also isn't sansar kind of...crap and a niche product anyway? I wouldn't start to worry yet.

• Like 1

It's important to make the time for people that matter. If someone makes an active effort to make time for me and be there for me online OR offline then they matter to me. If someone doesn't bother to try and uses "It's not RL" as an excuse then I stop caring about them. People get hurt online and offline. I actually look down on people that use "just a character" when what they really mean is "I got trust issues". Trust issues I can accept. I get close to people with them even. People that use excuses is another matter.

Consider the following scenario. You're at a bar. Someone comes up to you. They're interested in you. Would you use "It's just a bar" as an excuse? Well some people do one night stands. Ok, but some people actually go out and about (again, online and offline. You can isolate yourself online too. I have done so myself once) to see if they happen to meet someone they can click with. And of course you get the desperate types too. All happening in both areas.

The only real difference between online and offline is the physical. If someone is crying their eyes out it's real. If you're the cause of that behind a monitor it's real. If someone shoots themselves it's real. If you get close to them and support them and make the time to look after them it's real. If you make an active effort and have you avatar there on Christmas day when they might be in a bad way it's real. When someone expresses an interest in you and makes the effort to get intimate with you it's real. Though on that last matter some might find it difficult to get into "Online intimacy". Which comes to roleplay. The thing with roleplay is that it tends to get treated like a "one night stand bar" a lot of the time. Which is why roleplay tends to be lacking in the public eye yet is happening a hell of a lot more behind the scenes due to people expressing an interest in each other and doing "posts that are taken personally and not just IC". Though many might pretend otherwise. There's a difference between IC and "Personal posting" and it is important to be clear on both accounts. That does not however mean my posts are IC only (though I do do IC only RP. Just not with strangers. Being violent right off the bat tends not to go well). I'm not on SL to "play soccer" (as a RL example), I'm on it to get to know people. To have others be there for me as much as I am for them. So that there can be a mutual exchange of interests, which is more likely to happen when you care about someone and another cares enough to do things with/for you. If it goes to RL after that, great. If not then it's still a very real online connection between people. No less "solid" then what is physical if you really care for each other.

And you're not going to use the "They died on an MMO" argument as an excuse. Nope. How many people have died in RL? I can name countless ways. Compared to online I think RL is losing in that regard. It's more a case of addiction. Though addiction itself doesn't have to be a bad thing. Can be if not monitored but unlike drinking and smoking there's no permanent effects on the body. Unless you're actually stupid enough to not eat when you're hungry and leave the comp for 5 mins to make a sandwich. I think I'll just chalk that down to natural selection. Even people I've met online have stopped drinking because they met me. Because I been a positive influence on them. Didn't even ask for it either.

There are horrors online but they're present in RL too. Fortunately so is the courageous stuff. Given the fact that someone can easily put a bullet between my eyes (had a gun pointed at me once) I think I'll call online the safer option. At least that way I can just avoid angry idiots.

Edited by Taramafor
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.