Tannia Ling

Excessive client Lag even on very fast machine

I'm having serious issues with client lag.  The lag meter regularly goes red for the client with  "images loading" as a possible cause.  This happens even when I'm not moving (so I would expect most images/textures to have downloaded).

I don't believe it is my machine's specs.  I have an i7-7700 with 16 GB RAM.  My video card is a GTX1060 with 6 GB RAM.  SL and its cache are on an SSD.  I'm running with the recommended settings (graphics between High and Ultra.  DD 128 m).  I have a 50 Mbps connection and I have set up max bandwidth to 10,000 kbps.  In my network monitoring sw I see SL peaking as high as 20 Mbps.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Tannia

The one thing I see here is that you've almost certainly set your maximum bandwidth way too high. Try setting it to 1500kbps, or perhaps even less. This is the Firestorm web page that talks about finding the optimum setting: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_speedtest.

With any luck someone will explain why, in this case, less is more: it's something I've never really figured out.

2 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

The one thing I see here is that you've almost certainly set your maximum bandwidth way too high. Try setting it to 1500kbps, or perhaps even less. This is the Firestorm web page that talks about finding the optimum setting: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_speedtest.

I had it much slower and was seeing the lag issues.  I brought it up to see if the lag would go away.  Thanks for the link, I will fine tune the bandwidth and see if that helps any.

Edited by Tannia Ling

Do you experience this issue even in empty sims (like an empty sandbox with no other avatars)? Excessively unoptimized content (which is pretty much all content in SL) can cause this problem.

If what have been advised failed to address your issue, have you tried clearing your preference folder? (not the cache folder) it caused a graphical glitch to me once and it was fixed once I cleared it.

If you're not sure about doing that, try using a different viewer and see if it clears the issue. Your machine should run SL pretty good on high-ultra settings.

On 1/2/2018 at 10:42 AM, Tannia Ling said:

I'm having serious issues with client lag.  The lag meter regularly goes red for the client with  "images loading" as a possible cause.  This happens even when I'm not moving (so I would expect most images/textures to have downloaded).

I don't believe it is my machine's specs.  I have an i7-7700 with 16 GB RAM.  My video card is a GTX1060 with 6 GB RAM.  SL and its cache are on an SSD.  I'm running with the recommended settings (graphics between High and Ultra.  DD 128 m).  I have a 50 Mbps connection and I have set up max bandwidth to 10,000 kbps.  In my network monitoring sw I see SL peaking as high as 20 Mbps.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Tannia

What type of lag do you actually see other than a red dot in a meter? What is your frame rate, etc.? If it's only the meter than the meter itself may be giving you unrealistic information.

Why do people use that lag meter still ? I dont think it's correct. I think it's better if viewers remove it. If you want ststs you can go in CTRL-SHIFT-1 (Press same keys to close) and look at the packet loss. If it's high something is wrong in the network or settings. Don't panic if you see 0.3

Do you you feel lag inworld when you walk ?

Edited by Richardus Raymaker

On 1/2/2018 at 11:46 AM, Tannia Ling said:

No.  I use Norton.

So you are using bloatware, Norton is an anti virus that one would not even want to recommend to their mothers.    Just stick with what comes with windows or add avg/avast.  Norton used to be good. but it's been 10 years now,  Having owned a pc repair store that basically specialized in virus and malware removal, I can personally say without bias that Norton was the majority of the problem.

4 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

So you are using bloatware, Norton is an anti virus that one would not even want to recommend to their mothers.    Just stick with what comes with windows or add avg/avast.  Norton used to be good. but it's been 10 years now,  Having owned a pc repair store that basically specialized in virus and malware removal, I can personally say without bias that Norton was the majority of the problem.

Norton doesn’t slow my SL, and my PC is maybe 4-5 years old now.

If you're sucking images from the servers at that rate, check your draw distance.  About 256m is typical. Set that slider to 1024 and you're trying to pull in 16x as much content.

• Like 1