Need a guide on Avatar shape.

Anxoblaze

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,  I have been using Signature mesh body with catwa Daniel bento head. 

I have used indigo shapes but head shape was good but average body shape. 

I have tried many shapes  but I don't like any of them. Please suggest me  best shapes you using right now. 

Thanks

Currently wearing 'Orwar 6.9.5' 

I don't really get the whole thing with buying shapes - it's your avatar, shape it to your own liking.

'Best' is subjective. The body shape that I prefer is unlikely to be one that you prefer. You are probably not going to find a premade shape that will satisfy you completely for both body and head, so what you need to do is learn to edit.

Like everyone else in SL, you have the ability to edit your shape (provided that it's a modifiable one, which most of them are these days). Simply right-click on your avatar or your name tag, and - depending on which viewer you're using - click the following:

• Edit My Shape (Official SL viewer)
  • Edit Shape (Firestorm viewer in default menu mode)
  • Appearance > Edit Shape (Firestorm viewer in pie menu mode)

From there you can change anything you want to, so find the shape that you own which has the face you want to keep, then look objectively at it to decide what you don't like about the body. Legs too short? You can lengthen those. Shoulders too narrow? You can broaden them. And so forth.

Make a couple of small changes, then use the Save As option to save the edited shape as a new copy. Give it a new name (or append 'edited' or something like that to the end of its original name) and keep working on it. Make sure you do either this, or make a copy of your original shape before you start working on it. If you amend and save your original shape without using Save As you will overwrite it and not be able to reverse your changes.

You will be limited by what the Signature body lets you do. The base Signature mesh has muscular biceps, triceps, and deltoids. These can be slimmed down if you don't want to look as if you spend hours in the gym every day, but you will need to work at it.

Editing is really not that difficult, because you have a decent base shape already to work with. It's easier to tweak something that's already done than it is to create something from scratch, so give it a go and see what happens.

• Like 1

As I make little changes I will save-as a new version and use the naming system:

Body-Head-YearMonthDay-Number

So, one of my shapes is Sig-Andreas-20180101-001, another is Jake-Andreas-20171203-002 and so on. This helps me shift between my many bodies easily, but more importantly lets me go back in time in case I mess a body up.

As a guide I personally consider that a change should not be more than 5 or 10 on a slider in a single day. The next day, come back and do an A/B check between the old shape and new and see you are heading in the right direction. Especially with edit sessions when you change a lot, you can eally mess up your shape, being able to go back reliably is a godsend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

As I make little changes I will save-as a new version and use the naming system:

Things get really interesting when you accidentally click "Save" rather than "Save As" and also forgot to make a backup before starting.  I now not only have backups, but I have a notecard with settings recorded at different dates.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

I often find myself making  a small change to accommodate the better fit of a new clothes item.  Over time this changes the shape quite significantly.  I find it quite instructive to occasionally go back to a shape from 6 months ago, and see how I have shrunk.... or grown.  Now and then I have gone the whole hog, and reloaded the regular Maitreya original - oh YUK!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.