Privatizing Real Life Avatar

CarolinaSmithe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey so basically, I've got a real life avatar of myself that I'd like to keep private for people who I've added as friends. I've already attempted to select the option on the privacy settings, but people who aren't my friends can still see it. I would very much like to know how to privatize it as it provokes people who I don't want to get involved with or have a conversation with, when originally the intention was for friends who I do trust and appreciate talking to.

8 answers to this question

As I said earlier:

On 1/1/2018 at 5:50 PM, Rolig Loon said:

If all you are concerned about is your profile, set all privacy settings to be as restrictive as possible.  You can't prevent anyone from seeing your profile -- it's public information, after all -- but with the maximum privacy settings all they can see are the bare minima.  That's the way mine are set.

If you haven't done it already, I suggest removing your RL photo and any personal RL information from your profile.  That is not a required part of the profile and hardly anyone ever puts a genuine RL photo there. If you feel obliged to post something, add a cartoon, or a photo of your cat. Take a look at the RL photo on my profile, if you want.

2 hours ago, CarolinaSmithe said:

Apologies as I think there is a misconception here being that an avatar means something completely different on Second Life. I'm referring to the real life photo section you have on your profile, I've tried restricting it as much as I can yet people can still see my real life bio and picture displayed while I look at friends who have privatized theirs and it works as the information is not displayed unless if you've added them as a friend.

I want that but the private options displayed below are not appearing to be working for my profile.

OIaVd1h.png

That does indeed work... On mysecondlife.com... However, everyones profile is public INWORLD. You can not hide parts to someone who is logged into SL. As everyone else has said, i would remove all RL info that can be used to identify you. A time zone is really all the info you need to put in the RL tab.. It can be helpful to friends so they can know approximately when you might be online. 

3 hours ago, CarolinaSmithe said:

I've tried restricting it as much as I can yet people can still see my real life bio and picture displayed

Yep, your profile in world isn't affect by the my.secondlife.com settings (most people call that 'the feed'). Those are just for my.secondlife.com

Everyone in world can see your in-world first-life photo and all that you've said under it.

I've been here for a long time, but I have never heard of anyone saying that she had a "real life avatar", except as a joke. Avatars only exist in world, not in RL.  If you are saying that you have an avatar that you don't want anyone to see, buy a private island with no neighboring regions and then stay there.  Otherwise, you cannot make your avatar invisible.  Even if you wear a full body alpha suit, your name tag will show.   If you simply don't want to talk with anyone but your friends, then don't respond when other people talk or send messages to you.  If all you are concerned about is your profile, set all privacy settings to be as restrictive as possible.  You can't prevent anyone from seeing your profile -- it's public information, after all -- but with the maximum privacy settings all they can see are the bare minima.  That's the way mine are set.

If you've constructed an avatar that contains real life information in some way (as in name, profile information, or photographic likeness) there's really no way to keep it private other than as Rolig suggests. Even then, you should presume that someone will eventually spill your beans.

The only sure way to retain anonymity in SL is to never tell anyone who you are.

Second Life is, among other things, a social medium.  It's designed to promote easy communication between its residents.  Because of that, there is really no way you can keep information about your avatar, or your avatar's appearance, private.  Please note the cautionary notes by Rolig and Maddy, and remember Ben Franklin's advice:  "Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

If you really insist on having a sort of private clubhouse where only your trusted friends can come, and where everyone can be their "real life selves", then look into creating an Open Simulator region on your own computer.  OpenSim is open source and can be used to make virtual regions that work very much like Second Life...in fact, a number of third party viewers witll work with OpenSim.  

Of course, you won't be connected to Second Life...but you can, if you wish, connect your region to a number of other OpenSim grids.  For more information, see http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page

On 1/1/2018 at 11:50 PM, Rolig Loon said:

I've been here for a long time, but I have never heard of anyone saying that she had a "real life avatar", except as a joke. Avatars only exist in world, not in RL.  If you are saying that you have an avatar that you don't want anyone to see, buy a private island with no neighboring regions and then stay there.  Otherwise, you cannot make your avatar invisible.  Even if you wear a full body alpha suit, your name tag will show.   If you simply don't want to talk with anyone but your friends, then don't respond when other people talk or send messages to you.  If all you are concerned about is your profile, set all privacy settings to be as restrictive as possible.  You can't prevent anyone from seeing your profile -- it's public information, after all -- but with the maximum privacy settings all they can see are the bare minima.  That's the way mine are set.

On 1/2/2018 at 12:57 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you've constructed an avatar that contains real life information in some way (as in name, profile information, or photographic likeness) there's really no way to keep it private other than as Rolig suggests. Even then, you should presume that someone will eventually spill your beans.

The only sure way to retain anonymity in SL is to never tell anyone who you are.

On 1/2/2018 at 1:13 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Second Life is, among other things, a social medium.  It's designed to promote easy communication between its residents.  Because of that, there is really no way you can keep information about your avatar, or your avatar's appearance, private.  Please note the cautionary notes by Rolig and Maddy, and remember Ben Franklin's advice:  "Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

If you really insist on having a sort of private clubhouse where only your trusted friends can come, and where everyone can be their "real life selves", then look into creating an Open Simulator region on your own computer.  OpenSim is open source and can be used to make virtual regions that work very much like Second Life...in fact, a number of third party viewers witll work with OpenSim.  

Of course, you won't be connected to Second Life...but you can, if you wish, connect your region to a number of other OpenSim grids.  For more information, see http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page

Apologies as I think there is a misconception here being that an avatar means something completely different on Second Life. I'm referring to the real life photo section you have on your profile, I've tried restricting it as much as I can yet people can still see my real life bio and picture displayed while I look at friends who have privatized theirs and it works as the information is not displayed unless if you've added them as a friend.

I want that but the private options displayed below are not appearing to be working for my profile.

OIaVd1h.png

Are you referring to a Real Life Avatar required by a university class situation that requires you to use your real life name, etc?? If so, then you are likely on a restricted educational grid separate from the rest of the SL experience. Still only fill out your profile as suggested by your professor and nothing more. If this is not the case, then do as the others above have suggested. Never put RL info no matter what ever. :-)

Edited by Scorria Vaniva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.