Getting into Renting Accomodation

Petepirate2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/2/2018 at 7:59 PM, Chic Aeon said:

OK. I believe ya. Just saying that is NOT the norm and having a notecard in the box isn't exactly "binding" just like not putting up your EULA on the Marketplace or inworld for full term builders. This has been discussed many times so no need to go there again.  From your description it seems like there are different versions for the scripting. I know of some home builders that give out "the rental" version as the norm. Most of the folks I hang around with don't get THAT fancy LOL.   

The absolute OVERWHELMING majority of house builders TODAY in SL do not have any restrictions on the use of their homes for rentals.

YEARS ago (12?) there were a few big home builders who were fussy about this and issued "rentals versions" or posted angry posts in the forums about greedy landlords rezzing out 10 copies of their precious home and making money off it. Silly. Real life markets don't work this way and SL doesn't, either, except in their minds.

The overwhelming majority of home builders don't lose sales from the use of their homes by rentals' agents -- they MAKE sales precisely to that category of customer! They also understand that one of the ways to get a person to buy their home is to have first experienced it in a rental. I see this now and then -- a tenant rents a home I own that I bought from a merchants' event or the Marketplace -- soon they want it themselves to control it completely, I remove my copy, they put down their copy.

I buy lots of houses and skyboxes. I can't think of a single one in years that had a EULA or a "rentals' version". That's silly. What you describe is probably an old freebie in a box or something.

20 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

That's nice. But that isn't the point. The point isn't that somebody's anecdotal singular use case of rentals are rented. But that the law of vacancy means harsh diminishing returns. That law didn't go away just because of your experience now.

See the Brutality of Rentals Math.

In the early days, for years, the Lindens had a rule: only 5 accounts per real person. So I have abided by that rule. They used to ban or stop you from making ever new accounts with the same payment form. I don't know if they still do that.

In the early days, I put lots of alts in lots of groups for another reason -- to hold the groups together as they required 3, not 2 as today, and they had that awful "officers' recall" problem. Philip Linden himself came to me in person and asked me in puzzlement why I had so many groups and so many alts. I had to explain to him that it was the only way to overcome his hippie commune group tools. Eventually he began to change those tools as the new phenomenon of land rentals -- which he himself pushed! -- forced them to.

Cory Linden once told me that this blog post of mine explaining the reality of their insane group tools persuaded them to reform them.

I personally think maintaining legions of alts is not a good business practice and leads to customer doubt and confusion.

After the purchase of one sim worth of land ($195) the tier price then goes down slightly so adding the cost of a premium account to the rentals business makes no sense.

It's more of a side cash than real business. Any decent marketplace product will out perform rentals.
Having said that, marketplace does take a bit of cunning and research. I still remember someone telling me "You can't compete with other shops they have been here for x years", now I am rolling in enough dispensable cash with only a few pages of products.

Edited by iamyourneighbour

20 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

That's nice. But that isn't the point. The point isn't that somebody's anecdotal singular use case of rentals are rented. But that the law of vacancy means harsh diminishing returns. That law didn't go away just because of your experience now.

See the Brutality of Rentals Math.

In the early days, for years, the Lindens had a rule: only 5 accounts per real person. So I have abided by that rule. They used to ban or stop you from making ever new accounts with the same payment form. I don't know if they still do that.

In the early days, I put lots of alts in lots of groups for another reason -- to hold the groups together as they required 3, not 2 as today, and they had that awful "officers' recall" problem. Philip Linden himself came to me in person and asked me in puzzlement why I had so many groups and so many alts. I had to explain to him that it was the only way to overcome his hippie commune group tools. Eventually he began to change those tools as the new phenomenon of land rentals -- which he himself pushed! -- forced them to.

Cory Linden once told me that this blog post of mine explaining the reality of their insane group tools persuaded them to reform them.

I personally think maintaining legions of alts is not a good business practice and leads to customer doubt and confusion.

After the purchase of one sim worth of land ($195) the tier price then goes down slightly so adding the cost of a premium account to the rentals business makes no sense.

It's more of a side cash than real business. Any decent marketplace product will out perform rentals.
Having said that, marketplace does take a bit of cunning and research. I still remember someone telling me "You can't compete with other shops they have been here for x years", now I am rolling in enough dispensable cash from my meshing hobby. 

39 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Having said that, marketplace does take a bit of cunning and research. I still remember someone telling me "You can't compete with other shops they have been here for x years", now I am rolling in enough dispensable cash from my meshing hobby. 

I agree that you cannot listen to nay-sayers at all.  Many monopolists and cartels and rent-seekers dominated SL when I came in years ago and I ignored them because the population was growing and the world would change. Now, I don't know if you can say that it will grow or change, but why not?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.