Should commercial ventures and estates in SL be allowed to discriminate?

Hunter Stern

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've come to the position that in SL, people can basically do what they want. 

I have too, though I'm still angry that someone placed a huge octopus that rapes women in one of the most beautiful custom caves I ever created... :(

17 minutes ago, Nalytha said:

Since furries aren’t a protected class in the United States, should they be allowed to be discriminated against in Second Life?

(rhetorical)

Furries aren't quite as prevalent in RL, walking around with their b*ts and pieces hanging out, y*ffing this and that.

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:
Federal protected classes include:
  • Race.
  • Color.
  • Religion or creed.
  • National origin or ancestry.
  • Sex.
  • Age.
  • Physical or mental disability.
  • Veteran status.
  • Genetic information.
  • Citizenship.

God, I hope someday it includes "sexuality" (LGB) and "gender expression" (T).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have too, though I'm still angry that someone placed a huge octopus that rapes women in one of the most beautiful custom caves I ever created... :(

Are you quite certain it isn't a "tentacle monster"? I have several of those.

I don't know What it was...but it disturbed my canvas and peaceful intent of the space :)

However, that reminds me I am making a kind of semi-Lovecraftian sim atm...i should get back to it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Years ago, I gave SL (in case it's not clear) birth to 23 octopi and named them all Dave. They've reached the octopi age of majority, so I'm not legally responsible for anything they do.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Years ago, I gave SL (in case it's not clear) birth to 23 octopi and named them all Dave. They've reached the octopi age of majority, so I'm not legally responsible for anything they do.

I think that was its name alright...Dave. I'm sorry to report this.

Little did I know I would meet its mother all these years later...

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

God, I hope someday it includes "sexuality" (LGB) and "gender expression" (T).

I only looked at a few lists,so I'm not sure if there are more or not..

I should have probably put the link up to the place where I got that list,because it had links to others  like,states lists as well..

I was kind of editing that other post to add that,so I didn't want to take too long in case the page changed or something..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Seeing as there are many many actual churches that refuse to marry gay people.... That being said, marriage is a legal contract. You can't actually GET married in a church without a JP in the US. 

In Texas at least pretty much anyone can perform a marriage ceremony for anyone with a marriage license.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

In Texas at least pretty much anyone can perform a marriage ceremony to anyone with a marriage license.

It cost me a whopping $30 to become an ordained minister in Wisconsin. Not everyone can clear that financial hurdle, but not everyone has to. I'll marry anybody, and I'll do it for free if I can also deliver the eulogy at your funeral.

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

In Texas at least pretty much anyone can perform a marriage ceremony to anyone with a marriage license.

That's all it is in most places..

Churches are more for ceremony,where being licensed by the state is all it takes to makes it official..

If a priest is not licensed by the state it's not legit..

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It cost me a whopping $30 to become an ordained minister in Wisconsin. Not everyone can clear that financial hurdle, but not everyone has to. I'll marry anybody, and I'll do it for free if I can also deliver the eulogy at your funeral.

I'm curious,can you legally marry people in SL to where they are legally married in Wisconsin?

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm curious,can you legally marry people in SL to where they are legally married in Wisconsin?

I have performed marriages in SL, but not legal ones. Had the couples obtained marriage licenses in the State of Wisconsin, I could have signed them and they'd be free to legally divorce some time down the road. The ceremony is nothing but window dressing, whether it's performed in SL or RL. It's the license and the signatures thereon, including mine, that create the legal marriage. Think of it as signing a contract and having it notarized, but with cake and a party.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Preach it!

32 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's all it is in most places..

Churches are more for ceremony,where being licensed by the state is all it takes to makes it official..

If a priest is not licensed by the state it's not legit..

In Texas, I suppose it may be possible to get some kind of license to perform marriages, but certainly not required.

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

In Texas, I suppose it may be possible to get some kind of license to perform marriages, but certainly not required.

It's been a few years since I did it, and Texas might work similarly, but all I had to do was pay $30 to the Universal Life Church for a document package that's designed to satisfy any requirements particular states might have for registering officiants. Wisconsin (I'm working from feeble memory here) requires that you show proof you're a member of some recognized faith (ULC is recognized) and have attained rank in that faith to perform marriages. You can get that for free, online, in a minute. I think I could have saved the $30 if I'd printed out the documentation myself, but then I wouldn't have the gold foil certificate and the pretty folder, nor would I have the satisfaction of knowing I'd financially contributed to ULC and it's gentle tweaking of the entire concept of organized religion and it's relationship to the law.

I really do hope to perform a legal wedding someday. My extended family is aware of my ordination. They're also aware of my sense of humor, so I've yet to have any takers. I do have one sure fire customer. Mom won't live forever and I'm her closest living relative.

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Daves’ Takoyaki Palace and Massage Parlor!

I haven't seen my 23 boys in years, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them hadn't worked out a business model analogous to Kobe beef, where humans are given routine white wine massages before ending up on the menu. I sure hope they still recognize me.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I haven't seen my 23 boys in years, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them hadn't worked out a business model analogous to Kobe beef, where humans are given routine white wine massages before ending up on the menu. I sure hope they still recognize me.

..and I thought OctoPussy was a lot of..octopi.

9 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

What does Constantine have to do with the writers of the Gospels, who you said were lying for political gain?

You stated that the early cultists WERE the "rabble" but since you ask...

1. He made the cult an official Imperial religion, so it's then current crop of Proferssional Liars could stop being "rabble" as you put it, and walk around in expensive robes and telling people what to do, based on the "authority" of the work of earlier Cult Liars. 

2. He payed for the duplication and distribution costs of a NEW BOOK of Official Cult Dogma, that was prepared by the Professional Liars, in accordance with their carefully made selection of the works of earlier Cult Liars, that only supported THEIR side of the cult, and the cults supposed unchallengable authority. Just guessing but you might have heard of the New Book in question

3. Contrary to your claim, all early cultists were NOT "rabble", Constantine's Mother was a member of the cult, at least ONE of the 4 remaining gospels, was written by and aimed at a non rabble audience. In an age with NO state funded public education system simply being ABLE to read and write generally indicates a "non-rabble" status or support from "non-rabble".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.