2nd inventory closet

WeeFaery Greenwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is it available or is it possible for SL to create a 2nd permanent inventory (empty) for customer? This would be ideal for sorting and cleaning. I have been on sl for so many years and now have over 90,000 items that I need help cleaning up. The ability to clean an inventory using this tool would be most helpful.

Does anybody have ideas for fast, efficient inventory clean up?  Reducing duplication or very old high prim objects without having to rez everything etc.groan

12 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, WeeFaery Greenwood said:

Is it available or is it possible for SL to create a 2nd permanent inventory (empty) for customer? This would be ideal for sorting and cleaning.

No, this is not currently possible.

The only suggestion I've seen before that comes close to this is:
1) Create a new folder called '!  OLD STUFF' (the '! ' makes it sort to the top)
2) Move EVERYTHING (all existing folders and items) into the new folder.  For the System folders, create similar names in the new folder and move things into those.
3) Create new folders and sub-folders for the inventory storage method that you would like to use.
4) Proper file all new items into the new folders when you get them
5) As time permits or you feel like it, work your way through the OLD STUFF and either properly file or box it or trash it.

27 minutes ago, WeeFaery Greenwood said:

Does anybody have ideas for fast, efficient inventory clean up?  Reducing duplication or very old high prim objects without having to rez everything etc.groan

I wish.  You can use filters for certain things like landmarks.  Then move them all to one location and remove duplicates.  For 'objects' rezzing is the only way.

• Like 2

Combine LittleMe's suggestion with this tip:  You can open a second (or third or fourth even!) inventory window by clicking the gear icon and selecting New Inventory Window.  This makes it MUCH easier to drag things to a new place, eliminating all that tedious scrolling and scrolling.

When organizing your inventory, try not to make it too "flat".  That is, don't have a folder with a thousand things in it.  Instead, split things up into sub-folders.  There is a good reason for this.  If you have too many things in a folder, your inventory may fail to load properly, possibly to the point that you have trouble logging in.

• Like 2

FOR THE FUTURE :D while I don't do this for clothes, I DO implement for housewares, store build etc -- and that is make folder by the YEAR such as "Home and Garden 2018" with sub folder under there. After a few years it is a pretty safe bet you can delete that folder LOL.  We really don't need stuff from 2010 except perhaps a few things for nostalgia's sake. 

After you get your inventory managable make sure you KEEP it clean by going through every few months.  I blog and build with tons of products and my inventory is still about 35,000 much of which is store stuff. STILL I know I have a ton of landmarks that can get deleted -- and there is a tip. You can search for just landmarks and likely delete ALL THOSE LANDMARKS that come with products. You an also delete all the scripts and such inside of boxes (one reason I sell things in folders, not boxes  --- and gacha items ARE the items in most cases LOL. NO unboxing from my place!  

Also notecards. Get rid of all of those and you could easily be many thousands down :D. 

Happy purging. 

• Like 1

The problem with carpet bombing any part of your inventory is that there are bound to be some valuable gems buried in the trash. I have been tempted to delete all landmarks that are more than 3 (4? 5?) years old, but some of the oldest, most stable businesses in SL haven't moved in ages, so their LMs are still perfectly good. Like Lindal, I also have a random collection of notecards with instructions or sample setup configurations that I don't dare delete. I may never need them again, or I may need them the day after I incinerate them. When I clean inventory, then, I use a whisk broom and a dustpan instead of a flamethrower.

The easiest things for me to get rid of, ironically, are scripts. On a busy day, I may write a dozen new scripts.  If I am developing and testing a script, I can create a dozen updated versions in an hour. If I don't get rid of all the failed versions and unnecessary scripts at the end of the day -- or at least by the end of the week -- I could easily drown in them. I know of builders and modelers who have the same challenge and who also do regular, selective, ruthless inventory cleanings.

The enemies of order in inventory are laziness and nostalgia. Except in very specific parts of inventory, like my Scripts folder, I see no hope of overcoming them.  My only saving grace is that I at least accumulate new things (other than scripts) slowly. By doing a little trimming now and then, I have managed to keep my inventory between 34,000 and 37,000 for the past 6 years or so, which is good enough for me. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

SL is an inventory management game. You are losing... xD

Inventory is necessary, but it can become tedious. By the time we learn how tedious, we have usually made a mess. I suspect we have all learned the the tips and strategies given here the hard way, by not using them. I have learned a lot by getting fed up with having to clean things up so I could find things. I can't remember what I have or even what it might be named. So, I have to arrange things so I can find the forgotten things I may want.

I suspect each of us arranges things differently because how we think of things is different. So, you'll have to figure out what works for you. In 2014 I started using folder names with a year in the name. That is working better than most of what I've tried. But, when I want to find that oh-so-hot-swimsuit I still have to figure out if it is in Swimsuits->2015 or Swimsuits->2016... I have a lot of folders named things I hope will come up when I do searches.

There is no perfect solution for 'where did I put that...'?

In the game of inventory management Rolig gets extra points for a great excuse. :x

The only tip I have is using Inventory Search with Filters and changing the sort order in Inventory Advanced Options (gear) is a WAY powerful way to find duplicates and old stuff.

Firestorm has inventory tools not in the Linden Viewer.  However, the Catznip viewer just released had more inventory tools, at least that is the word. Apparently some we hven't seen before. The images I've seen of the controls looks impressive. I'll try it later today.

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Firestorm has inventory tools not in the Linden Viewer.  However, the Catznip viewer just released had more inventory tools, at least that is the word. Apparently some we hven't seen before. The images I've seen of the controls looks impressive. I'll try it later today.

Making a mental note to download and check it out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Making a mental note to download and check it out.

Inara has her review here. I have mine here.

The features are awesome. The performance is fast FPS-wise. But, I had horrible problems getting textures to fully render and lots of texture thrashing. I was swapping between Catznip, Firestorm, and Linden viewers trying to see if it was a viewer, connection, or region problem. Did not see the issues in FS or LL. I made about a half dozen swaps in the Evocative region.

I'll try again tomorrow. I am hoping it is something transient. I really like the stuff in Catznip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Inara has her review here. I have mine here.

The features are awesome. The performance is fast FPS-wise. But, I had horrible problems getting textures to fully render and lots of texture thrashing. I was swapping between Catznip, Firestorm, and Linden viewers trying to see if it was a viewer, connection, or region problem. Did not see the issues in FS or LL. I made about a half dozen swaps in the Evocative region.

I'll try again tomorrow. I am hoping it is something transient. I really like the stuff in Catznip.

I do like the sound of some of those inventory features, so I'll pull it and play around a bit, then put probably put it on the shelf until I want to do lots of inventory stuff or that texture issue gets resolved.  Or maybe I won't even have the texture issue.  Though even then, it will have a hard job of replacing FS as my viewer of choice.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 6:50 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I do like the sound of some of those inventory features, so I'll pull it and play around a bit, then put probably put it on the shelf until I want to do lots of inventory stuff or that texture issue gets resolved.  Or maybe I won't even have the texture issue.  Though even then, it will have a hard job of replacing FS as my viewer of choice.

I would love to know if the texture issue is just me or the viewer. I have seen the problem every time I use the viewer.

26 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I would love to know if the texture issue is just me or the viewer. I have seen the problem every time I use the viewer.

I'll have a chance to play with it this weekend.  

Side note - One of the recent posts on the Fab Free blog mentioned that they were having general SL texture loading problems this week.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.