voice morphing

tabletopfreak Toocool

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suspect some will agree with you, and others will suggest the "suckage" (choppiness) is due to internet issues.

nods, well i have great internet 120 download and 11 upload , great pings from any place other than asia and hardly ever lag out ,,my friends will be lagging and cant hardly walk, am im normally fine .. all i was trying to use is the buff voice, should be a simple lowering of the  pitch.. not sure why this is a feature if non of the voices work well.. oh wait i know why.. to suck money from people who in many cases already poor money into the game anyway.. ok thanks for the reply, sounds like its not just me, it just sucks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tabletopfreak Toocool said:

nods, well i have great internet 120 download and 11 upload , great pings from any place other than asia and hardly ever lag out ,,my friends will be lagging and cant hardly walk, am im normally fine .. all i was trying to use is the buff voice, should be a simple lowering of the  pitch.. not sure why this is a feature if non of the voices work well.. oh wait i know why.. to suck money from people who in many cases already poor money into the game anyway.. ok thanks for the reply, sounds like its not just me, it just sucks 

The voice stuff is more complex than the main SL connection. Voice gets handled in the third-party Vivox servers. So, there is a double/duel connection that you are dealing with.

Internet connections change by the second as do the connection pathways. So, a good general Internet connection and basic SpeedTest.net results may not be indicative of your connections to Vivox and SL servers. The viewer stats (Ctrl-Shift-1) are a mix of your computer, connection and the SL servers performance, so they are not a clean measure of the connection. They are focused on the SL parts. So, you won't know much about the Viviox connection or you network perfomance.

There are issues that Vivox has been working on. Some of the new code is in an RC viewer. So, you may want to try enabling Willing to try RC viewers... in Preferences. Then go to the Alternate Viewers page and get the RC Second Life Voice Viewer version 5.0.10.330039 and install it. If the problem stops, you know it is a viewer thing.

You can try some things to improve your system's ability to handle multiple connections. But, consider that a last resort. Info is here: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Most voice altering is done on your workstation. So, lots of memory and free CPU cycles is important. You can use the CPUID HDMonitor (free) to see how your computer is doing. If you can watch the viewer and HDMonitor at the same time you'll be able to see if voice is dropping out when CPU or memory use is high. If that is the case the problem is in your computer. In which case the first steps are to try restarting your computer and running ONLY the viewer. If that helps, the voice morph is pushing something in your computer to the limit and having problems. This would mean the fixes likely to improve things are more memory, faster memory, overclocking the CPU... new faster computer...

Before going drastic and buying a new computer, Google for information on how to eliminate background tasks in Windows. The less stuff running in background, the more CPU and memory you'll have for the viewer and voice morphing. Window runs a ton of stuff in background.

If you run anti-virus software, white list the SL viewer program folder and cache. This is a very minor risk and usually improves viewer performance by reducing the work the system has to do to virus check stuff the Lindens have already tested.

• Like 1

When using voice morphing, you should not hear yourself, except when doing tests.  The reason for this is delay.  You start to say something..."Hi, how are you today", and a half second after you speak, you hear yourself say "Hi, how are..."  You instinctively try to match up what you're saying with what you're hearing, and the result is that you trail off into silence halfway through your sentence.

You must also worry about feedback.  If your microphone "hears" your speakers, it can cause a feedback loop that will destroy your voice quality.  Most laptops have good noise cancellation with their built in mics.  If you aren't using a laptop, use a gaming headset with a boom microphone.

Make sure you have good voice quality to start with, BEFORE adding the morph.  Voice Echo Canyon is a place where you can check this out.  If your audio level is set too high, it will cause the breakups you've been hearing.

Make sure the Bandwidth setting in your Preferences is set to less than 1500.  Try 1200 or so.  This will give the voice servers a little of your bandwidth to do their thing.

If the expense bothers you, you can either:

• Become a Premium member (voice morphing is free for Premium members)
  • Buy the MorphVox Pro software from Screaming Bee...it's the same morph engine that SL uses.  I think the app costs about $30 USD or so, but it's a one time purchase, not a subscription.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.