Issurin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been trying to get in to Second Life on and off for nearly a year now but have had one glaring issue that has been stifling any interest I start to get, a complete inability to even sustain 10 fps 90% of the time. I have looked all over for fixes, toyed with all the graphics settings, tried several viewers including Firestorm, Catsnip, Black Dragon, Alchemy, and LL. nothing software wise has so far worked. My hardware maintains a modest 30fps on ultra on games like GTA 5, Black Desert Online, Rise of  the Tomb Raider, and just most games in general.

GPU: Evga Nvidia 1050 ti OC edition with 6gb of Vram

CPU: AMD Fx 8350 8 core processor at 3.5ghz (only 4 of the cores are physical the other 4 are virtual)

Ram: 16gbs of w.e stock junk the desktop came with

Storage: 2Tb HD another stock component

Internet: Comcast broadband (speedtest.net states 54down/20up with 13ping to the nearest server)

If anyone has any ideas as to other possible solutions, causes, or things to try it would be much appreciated. The whole situation seems incomprehensibly stupid as a game with this old of graphics shouldn't need much more then these to hit 30fps when I can play many more graphically intense games filled with a lot more happening on and off screen then I ever have witnessed or heard off in SL. My friend manages 60Fps easy on her computer with a GTX 1080ti 32gb of ram and a comparable CPU but a GTX 1080ti is just overkill for really anything regardless of w.e it is.

5 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, Issurin said:

My hardware maintains a modest 30fps on ultra on games like GTA 5, Black Desert Online, Rise of  the Tomb Raider, and just most games in general.

.... The whole situation seems incomprehensibly stupid as a game with this old of graphics shouldn't need much more then these to hit 30fps when I can play many more graphically intense games filled with a lot more happening on and off screen then I ever have witnessed or heard off in SL. My friend manages 60Fps easy on her computer with a GTX 1080ti 32gb of ram and a comparable CPU but a GTX 1080ti is just overkill for really anything regardless of w.e it is.

These are  mistakes... NEVER compare SL to those others

SL is not made like those, it's USER content... those others are professional and optimised for fast performance. And often partly on your HD, SL is not.

So lets forget that part, it only shows you don't understand SL yet, and this is explained hundreds of times on these forums, and every now and than it pops up again.

Also... complaining about 30fps on ultra settings... sorry but thats not bad at all.

Lower some settings, don't use all exotic rendering thats possible,(ambient occlusion/shadows/antialliassing/dept of field/ lod factors.... and lower your drawdistance...) just some of the settings that will improve FPS

59 minutes ago, Issurin said:

If anyone has any ideas as to other possible solutions, causes, or things to try it would be much appreciated. The whole situation seems incomprehensibly stupid as a game with this old of graphics shouldn't need much more then these to hit 30fps when I can play many more graphically intense games filled with a lot more happening on and off screen then I ever have witnessed or heard off in SL.

Your biggest problem is one that is often encountered in those 'gamers' new to SL.

You assume that playing "Grand Theft Walrus" or "Italian Plumbers vs the Croco-turtles of Doom", means that you KNOW how to set your graphics settings, and because you can play on "ULTRA" on those and get 60 fps, that this means all you have to do in SL is fire up a viewer, slam the idiot friendly "One Graphics Slider to Rule Them All" all the way to the right, and it will all magically work, and be "leet".

What you THINK you know about "game graphics settings", here in SL, means exactly DIDDLY-SQUAT.

All those other games you are used to are local sourced... when you install the game, ALL the content is loaded onto your local hard drive, or read off a local removable media, all the content is optimised, made by 3d CGI professionals, specifically for THAT game engine, and it all runs smooth as silk.

This is NOT SL. SL is over a petabyte of un-optimised user created content, that is constantly streamed to a temporary cache, on an as needed basis.

Do NOT rely on the viewers "autodetect best settings", it will often let you down, do NOT rely on the Idiot-Slider, slamming it to ultra because that's what you use everywhere else, in radically different game engines. Use the advanced graphics settings, with the idiot slider set to 3/7 or 4/7 max, then tune and select what 'better features you want.

Most common mistake, setting draw distance too damn high, you do NOT need to set it to over a 1/4 km, you really don't. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Issurin said:

Internet: Comcast broadband (speedtest.net states 54down/20up with 13ping to the nearest server)

You need to run a speedtest to http://tucson.speedtest.net/ where the LL servers are located.. local servers give false numbers..

4c1c1d653837eb23cbc2e18b0b17f3f4.png

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire

Its the FX 8350, SL is very single threaded and weak single core performance really takes it toll on the games framerate, the 8350 may have 8 cores, and its a great processor for things that actually use all 8 cores, but it has a very, very low single thread rating. And thats where performance is being killed.

My Athlon 5350 and integrated graphics get me ~30fps in places like Social Islands on general medium settings in 1080p, i use to have a 750ti in the system and while i could raise the settings a bit more, it didnt actually benefit framerate at all.

A Pentium G3260, a haswell dual core, outperforms the 8350 single threaded score by a LOT, and something like this would play SL fantastically.

Untitled.png.9022b23a65246dc1608c94b0ee04e717.png

Its the slightly higher clocked cousin to the G3258, which was infamous for being an unlocked processor that could be overclocked.

Thats your bottleneck with a game like SL. My Athlon 5350 with its 750ti was having all its cores utilized and managed 45-50fps on normal settings in GTA V in 1080p, but thats not a metric for how SL performs, theyre very different games in how theyre designed and how they run. My Athlon 5350 never has more than 1 core used, and its weak single core speed is what kills performance. Same goes for your 8350.

My suggestion? If you want better performance you need to do a CPU upgrade, AM3 is dead end and all the options there are basically the same cores with higher numbers, you could slap an FX 9590 into there (if your motherboard can handle 220w tdp) and it wouldnt give even a slight performance boost in SL because of the similarly weak single thread speed.

Look into moving up to something more modern, i suggest a recent i5 or something, currently AM4 processors have much better single thread speed and dont require "just add moar coars" like the FX series did. Maybe something like an i5 6500 or a Ryzen 3 1300 to pair with a 1050ti.

The SL Viewers have been making more use of multiple-threads. Monty Linden recently commented about that here in the forum. I covered it here: http://blog.nalates.net/2017/10/21/cpus-intel-8th-generation-and-second-lifes-viewer/

Still there is a main thread. It needs great single-core performance. So, core speed is more important then the number of cores. So, cykarushb is giving you pertinent advice. 

It looks like you are CPU bound...

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.