Alpha for Maitreya clothing

Jerilynn Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have an idea I know the answer, but ask it anyway.

While wearing a Lara body, is there a way to alpha layer clothing that pokes through Maitreya garments? I have an overcoat that I would like to wear in combination of other Maitreya clothing, buy find a small portion of the shirt poking through the outer coat. Same with some Maitreya moccasins having pant leg showing through.

I have my eye on a pair of Maitreya boots, that are labeled extra wide for pants, but there is no demo offered at the in-world store for me to see if they properly cover pant legs.

I'm sure others have had the same problem. It's not a deal breaker at all if nothing can be done, Perhaps a small price to deal with while wearing Maitreya.

7 answers to this question

I assume it's mesh clothes that you want to layer, as applier clothes can easily be alpha'd using the mesh body HUD. I have a couple of approaches for that.

First, I would try to wear a combination of a Maitreya-fitmesh garment and a fixed-sized (e.g. S/M/L) garment, and adjust my shape until there is no interference.

If that's not possible and there is only a small poke-through, then I might make a patch for the outer garment. Make a little prim (maybe a flattened sphere), attach it to the appropriate body-part (e.g. the pelvis) so that its position will be fixed in relation to the outer garment. Resize it and move it into position covering the poke-through section, and tint it to match the colour. The pictures below show an example; it's not perfect, but certainly an improvement.

Untitled.png.9bf07f8876724590bae5dcef61f3d302.png

You probably won't get either of those approaches to work for boots/pants though.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 2

Ange's suggestion of a patch prim is brilliant.

The problem here is that all mesh clothing items are attachments...3D objects.  Also, all objects that are attached to your avatar become Phantom.  This means they can freely pass through one another.

The final piece of our little drama is that Second Life has no cloth dynamics or collision detection.  If we did, then conceivably clothing would behave as it does in Real Life.  But, in the interests of being able to run at more than a few frames per minute, we don't have these features.

So...your shirt is, basically, a stiff object, except where it is controlled to follow your movements by its being linked to your avatar skeleton.  Your jacket, the same.  Unless an outfit is designed with the shirt and the jacket as a single linked object, you're going to run into these sorts of "poke through" issues.  This is why I keep a lot of older "layer type" clothing around, to be worn under Mesh items.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, angeoco said:

I assume it's mesh clothes that you want to layer, as applier clothes can easily be alpha'd using the mesh body HUD

Yeah, mesh on mesh. However the mesh that comes through negates your suggestion, it would be labor intensive.

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So...your shirt is, basically, a stiff object, except where it is controlled to follow your movements by its being linked to your avatar skeleton.  Your jacket, the same.  Unless an outfit is designed with the shirt and the jacket as a single linked object, you're going to run into these sorts of "poke through" issues

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, this exact issues is why I've started stock piling a variety of applier clothing - tops & pants in various styles, colors and patterns. 

I'm learning to separate what works and what doesn't work. I did save a bunch of older outfits that can be alpha layered. As for the poke through, I would guess it's a small price to pay to look good and better than the old "painted on" appearance.

But all is not lost, I have mixed and matched working mesh clothing.

TY angeoco, Lindal and LittleMe for the feed back.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.