me wants to terrain neatly but makes mess lol

gez12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, gez12 said:

i been trying to terrain land like landscape make neat water and home area on 1/4 sim private land but been lower edges making mess dunno how to make it neat like some ppl do

I kinda suck at it too so I just buy nice mesh terrain :) 

Terrain editing in SL is a pain...

Rule of Engagement...

Be SUBTLE, don't slam up to the highest tool strength and largest brush size and chose 'raise' as you'll end up with your own 1/4 sim sized "Mt. Noob - Height 100 m"

Use raise and lower sparingly, then use smooth to well smooth, a large 'weak' smoothing brush over  small medium raise/lower brushes, works wonders when trying to make 'natural terrain', make your coastline a little exaggerated with medium or small brushes, then lightly smooth with the large brush, using multiple passes as needed, rather than trying to do it all at once.

Try not to dig crevasses everywhere. They are a pain to fill in again.

Use parcel selection tools, you can select an area same as you would if planning to subdivide a parcel, and then use the terrain editing and it only applies in the selected area.

Practice, practice, practice, but be prepared to have to level the entire thing and start over.

A friend whose 1/4 i had sculpted into waterfront, tried editing a small pond while i was offline...

Somehow and I never found out how, they managed to dig a 1 m wide 20 m deep crevasse along the shared boundries of the 1/4, AND lowered the entire rest of the parcel by 2 m, in about 60 seconds. It took me about 2 hours to undo the damage later that day when i logged in and got the IM "ummm... i think i did something wrong to the land..."

• Like 1

It certainly takes practice, but I kind of enjoy it. To be practical about it, though, nobody as OCD as I am should wield that terraforming bulldozer. I still tinker with parcels I thought were "finished" years ago, so if you tour the Atoll and notice a region needing rebaking, there's a good chance I was there in the last 24 hours, "perfecting" the terrain.

The part I dislike, the thing that led me to a life of obsessive terraforming, is the way the scripting functions for terrain editing are nerfed to near uselessness. I'd love to be able to scan a parcel's terrain and store the data so it could be restored by script -- and the LSL functions exist for doing that, they just don't actually work at the resolution necessary for a satisfactory result.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.