How do you take a Hair Base off?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I put on an Avatar from my "pick an Avatar" in my inventory now I can't take off the hair base. I have tried to replace it with another one, replace clothing then logged off and back on. I even put what I usually wear such as skin body eyes hair and hair base into a new folder and tried to replace. Can anyone help?

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Milo Paolino said:

I put on an Avatar from my "pick an Avatar" in my inventory now I can't take off the hair base. I have tried to replace it with another one, replace clothing then logged off and back on. I even put what I usually wear such as skin body eyes hair and hair base into a new folder and tried to replace. Can anyone help?

good chance it's applied, or baked on the skin/starter body .. or your system doesn't refresh fast enough ?

There are four items that you can't take off.  This is because they are necessary to define the basic avatar.  The "Essential Four" are skin, shape, eyes, and system hair (also often called a baldy, hair base, or eyebrow shaper.)  You can't take them off, but you CAN replace them by simply wearing another item of the same type.  Each of them has a specific symbol in your inventory.  A hair base has the symbol of a little head of hair.

Note that sometimes, something that appears by eye to be a hair base is not actually a system hair item, but a different kind of item.  Tattoos are often used to color the scalp to match your hair style.  Some mesh hair comes with an alpha mask layer to completely disappear the part of your skull under the hair.  If your hair base is something of this type, it CAN be removed, using the Take Off command in Appearance.

As Alwin notes, some skins come with things permanently painted on, they're a part of the skin texture.  I'm not aware of any commercial skins of this sort, but some of the skins that come with the Linden-Lab supplied starter avatars are of this type.  In this case, the solution is to wear a different skin.

If your avatar is using a mesh body, that is an attachment that is worn over your classic avatar.  The classic avatar body is hidden by a full-body alpha mask.  Commercially available mesh bodies come with a HUD that you use to control aspects of their appearance, but if you are wearing one of the starter avatars that are supplied when you first enter SL, it does not have such sophistication.  You'll have to detach the body and take off its alpha mask to see the basic shape that lies beneath.

If you can neither take off nor replace an item, it could be a system glitch such as Alwin describes.  A poor internet connection to SL, or something else messing up.  Another possibility is that you are using a viewer that has Restrained Love Viewer (RLVa) functionality and you have enabled that in your Preferences.  Enabling RLVa allows another person to dictate what you wear, and force you to wear an outfit of their choosing.  This is really, really hard to do by mistake, it requires some initial cooperation on your part.  However, check your Preferences.  If RLVa is enabled, uncheck its box, then relog.  If you are using the stock Linden Lab viewer, you can ignore this possibility; it does not have RLVa.

EDIT:  On re-reading your question, I see that you specify you're using a starter avatar.  The simplest way to ensure you take everything off with one of these is to replace the entire avatar.  There are two ways to do this.

1.  Click the Avatars button.  In the initial viewer setup, it's a button on the left side of your screen with a picture of two people on it.  Choose an avatar from the gallery of pictures that appears.

2.  Open your inventory, with the suitcase button or CTRL+I.  Browse to the folder Library\Clothing\Initial Outfits.  Pick a folder with an avatar's name on it, and either drag it and drop it onto your avatar, or right click it and choose Replace Outfit.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.