VR Second Life Reviews?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, ever since I got to demo the Oculus Rift I've been extremely curious what it would be like to play Second Life on it. I imagine it would take it to a whole new level and be extremely amazing. Anyone have any VR experiences with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive on second life that they would like to share? Thank you.:D

1 hour ago, ILUMINATIUNDEAD said:

Hello, ever since I got to demo the Oculus Rift I've been extremely curious what it would be like to play Second Life on it. I imagine it would take it to a whole new level and be extremely amazing. Anyone have any VR experiences with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive on second life that they would like to share? Thank you.:D

it's not without reason that SL stopped the trials for this years ago, it simply doesn't work well, and why develop a niche product that won't be used by a huge majority of your customers because it's simple far overpriced for current home user.

Keep in mind the majority of SL users are no gaming geeks.

On 26 December 2017 at 8:32 PM, ILUMINATIUNDEAD said:

I've met exactly one Occulus Geek Goggle Vomit-Cam fan in-world in SL.

The person in question was everything you'd expect, a clueless tech-illiterate cyber-geek wannabe, who frothed constantly about how "hella kewl" SL was in vomit-cam, how "immersive" and how it really made their "elite para rp" more "intense".

However... This individual NEVER walked anywhere, they would TP into the middle of a social area and just stand there, not even turning to face the people they were chatting with, presumably because that immersive vomit-cam experience made moving a puke inducing experience.

Simple truth is that Vomit-cam isn't that great for SL, it simply doesn't mesh with the UI, and back when there were still "experimental vomit-cam compliant" SL viewers, the occulus geek goggle cost way to much for most SL users to even THINK of wanting to try one, even today after substantial discounting, it's still more cash than the majority want to spend to ruin their SL by puking over their keyboards every time they try to move around.

Vomit-cam was, is, and will be for the forseeable future, an over priced gimmick popular only with high fashion cyber geek market, where having the latest cyber-geek toy to show to your friends is more important than it actually being of any damn use.

Forget VR and move on, Augmented Reality is the better bet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Vomit-cam was, is, and will be for the forseeable future, an over priced gimmick popular only with high fashion cyber geek market, where having the latest cyber-geek toy to show to your friends is more important than it actually being of any damn use.

Oh, come now. At the rate technology is improving (CPU/frame rate/display) - and being forced down the throats of the masses - you don't think it will become usable during the next 5-10 years?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2017 at 1:40 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

it's not without reason that SL stopped the trials for this years ago, it simply doesn't work well, and why develop a niche product that won't be used by a huge majority of your customers because it's simple far overpriced for current home user.

Keep in mind the majority of SL users are no gaming geeks.

But I watched a youtube video where secondlife said it released itself for virtual reality. Come on now it can't be that bad? I put on a virtual headset one day and I was really impressed by the graphics and how real everything seemed around me. I am looking for actual reviews, not people just hating on it. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ILUMINATIUNDEAD said:

But I watched a youtube video where secondlife said it released itself for virtual reality. Come on now it can't be that bad? I put on a virtual headset one day and I was really impressed by the graphics and how real everything seemed around me. I am looking for actual reviews, not people just hating on it. 

VR in SL was tried a few years back - it didn't work well.

Or perhaps you saw something about LL's new VR platform, Sansar.  A totally different thing. 

7 hours ago, ILUMINATIUNDEAD said:

i see nobody here spreading hate on it, just telling you  that you'r pulling at a dead cow. LL ditched it years ago and won't likely come back.

15 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oh, come now. At the rate technology is improving (CPU/frame rate/display) - and being forced down the throats of the masses - you don't think it will become usable during the next 5-10 years?

No, because Augmented reality will have become normal, by the time the hardware is good enough and cheap enough to make VR practical for mass markets, mass markets won't WANT VR, as it will be some "old failed gimmick".

It's like Zeppelins...

By ther time helium was available in large enough quantities at affordable prices, to make Zeppelins practical, everyone was saying "Wow jet airliners, those are the future man"

Steam powered cars...

By the time steam engines had been made small enough and efficient enough to make steam powered cars practical, some complete swine had invented... The Internal Combustion Engine... And bolted one on a glider and invented powered flight...

VR will end up in the same wing of the technology museum as steam cars, zeppelins, Betamax video tapes, etc., etc., etc.

Were you aware that we already HAVE the technology to use a low power LED laser cluster (red blue & green, 3 in total) to project images directly onto your retina from an eyepiece, as an 'in-eye- head up display? Tech's been around for some years, nobody USES it because of fears over safety or more realistically over possible litigation and marketing problems, resulting from telling customers "we're gonna fire lasers into your eyes".

Eventually though, somebody will use it to project Augmented Reality images directly into your eyes from a head set no heavier than a pair of spectacles, giving you "immersive" realistic 3d graphics, added to REAL LIFE, see your friends wearing tails and wings or as cyber robots, or leading their pet AR T-Rex down the high street...

Edited by Klytyna

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

No, because Augmented reality will have become normal, by the time the hardware is good enough and cheap enough to make VR practical for mass markets, mass markets won't WANT VR, as it will be some "old failed gimmick".

Hmm.. So, you’re an optimist about it. Let me provide you an alternate view of how VR could some day win over AR: a lot of dystopian SF from the 70’s had VR themes because reality was just so very awful. VR provided an alternate which people could deal with. AR, on the other hand will always let the ugly present reality shine through in places.

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

a lot of dystopian SF from the 70’s

Ah the crap SF that most people didn't like...

Problem with claiming people will choose VR to avoid "ugly reality" is that people generally won't choose "projectile vomiting".

Have you ever stopped to wonder why the ONLY cause of Vomit-Cam vomiting that isn't widely mentioned on Vomit-Cam equipment vendor websites is... The REAL ONE?

"Oh that problem... Pish! All you have to do is spend $15,000 to upgrade to the ThrutchMaster 9000 SUX series gfx card, and the new TurboVom 5600 headset, on a 128 bit 32 core i13 at 8ghz clock speed with at least 1/2 a terrabyte of mainboard RAM, and you can achieve the magic 240 fps needed to eliminate projectile vomiting, no really! 

Motion  sickness? Caused by an 'inner' ear? No never heard of that, what kind of crazy idea is that? What, medical doctors you say, hahaha, don't be silly, what could medical science possibly know that the MegaThrutch Vomit-Cam Company doesn't? It's all about having a suitably expensive fps".

I remember seeing some SF made in the 1930's that swore blind that by 1980, all working class people would live in perfect workers appartments built by the Mill owners, while management types commuted from their green belt detached houses to the City and back by personal Autogyro, and the wife made stunning gourmet meals in minutes using an atomic powered radar oven.

Don't use bad SF as a justification for supporting failed technologies.

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hmm.. So, you’re an optimist about it. Let me provide you an alternate view of how VR could some day win over AR: a lot of dystopian SF from the 70’s had VR themes because reality was just so very awful. VR provided an alternate which people could deal with. AR, on the other hand will always let the ugly present reality shine through in places.

I hope companies don't try to destroy the planet in order to get a market for VR. VR as a mass market device is already dead; the hype wave has passed. Most of the goggles that were purchased are already sitting in closets alongside the 3D glasses for TVs. There are two problems with VR that can't be fixed: motion sickness and isolation. A significant percentage of people who use VR goggles will get sick, and people don't like to be isolated from their surroundings for long.

A Sansar experience might be perfect for those who do use VR ... the odds of going through one in 15 minutes are pretty good. Then they can take the goggles off and do other things.

• 9 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMyhu07PPM&t=11s

I modified the phonix viewer to run on steam vr and a windows mixed reality headset . 

Wasnt noticing to much motion sickness as long as i stayed around 60 and more fps . 

You could also modify the movement to walk in straight lines which would prevent people from geting sick.

Edited by P373R Kappler
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.