Theresa Ravenheart

It made me motion sick, and other thoughts...

I just spent 30 mins or so exploring Sansar, without VR. The load times are horrid and I'm was using my newish i7 Alienware with 16gigs of Ram. Also, I want to throw up! :( I don't get motion sick easily or at all really, but first person view made me extremely motion sick, like green in the face, laying in bed while writing this, with a nauseous tummy, sick!  So sick that I just closed it and uninstalled it. I know it's in its early stages and SL has changed a lot since the beginning, so it's logical that Sansar will too.

I was in first person because I had to squint to read or see anything in third person...I have a 23in monitor, I shouldn't have to squint. 3rd person also felt choppy, like playing Morrowind 3 or something very outdated and running poorly on a new system. So both of the ways to view Sansar are unsettling, awkward, and leave a lot to be desired for me personally. I looked at the Sansar control webpage but did not find a way to zoom in when in 3rd person, but I could have missed it. Did I? It honestly reminded me of an updated and very pretty There, an old virtual world, but there was still more to do in There.

I read the post about the "exciting" news about using the stupidly expensive Marvelous Designer for making clothes for Sansar. But I question if there would ever be a huge market in Sansar for clothing? If you are walking around in 1st person or in VR, you don't even see yourself and since there is not really anything to do there but look at things and talk to people, would you ever invest money in clothes there? Even if I got past it making me motion sick, I don't think I would put a single penny in it.  I buy a lot of clothes and things in SL because I am "living" a virtual life there; going on dates with my wife, decorating my home, spending xmas with family, going skiing, or clubbing, killing zombies, or a million other things; there are clear reasons to have lots of different outfits in SL. I'm super curious about people opinions on the matter, creators and consumers.

I'm a hobbyist content creator in SL; I make things I need or want, my family or friends want, or just for the sheer joy of building and creating. The professional tools and skills needed for Sansar make it discouraging and pretty much impossible for me; Maya and Marvelous Designer cost way more then I'd be willing to invest in a hobby or entertainment. I know Blender is an option, but it's something I am still learning and I find it a huge pain in the butt. The beauty of in-world creation tools is I can be spending time with my loved ones and friends while working, minus tabbing out to do something quick in PS, but if I'm on voice I'm still engaged with them. The thought of spending hours with my nose in Blender, an audio studio program, and who knows what else sounds more like work than fun to me.

I know I'm not in the target audience for Sansar, I don't have a VR system nor have future plans to buy one. Also, I find walking around virtual places with very little interaction possibilities extremely boring! I want to "live" my virtual life, not just look at pretty things. The Star Wars experience was beautiful, the textures really stood out and looked amazing, but it only entertained me for 3 minutes max and there is no draw or incentive to revisit it. I wonder how long it took to create the whole experience? Is creating all of those models, sounds, textures, voice overs, and other assets worth a few minutes of mild entertainment? What is their ROI (return on investment)? I wonder how creators are planning on bringing visitors back after the first visit? I would think that the novelty of each experience would wear out quickly, it did for me.

Just my two cents...and I still feel ill from the motion sickness. :S One day I might take a peak again, maybe...but doubtful. For now, my experiment and step into Sansar is over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

If you suffer motion sickness on a normal monitor, you should avoid VR like the plague.

But I don't, and I wasn't using a VR headset. I do not suffer from any motion sickness, not in cars, boats, planes, 3D movies, or anything else. So yea... :)

3 minutes ago, Rockridge Constantine said:

It seems very strange that you got motion sickness "without" a VR headset.  How do you manage to even use SL?

I've never had a single motion sickness issue in SL, or in any FPS game, IMAX Theater, motion rides at amusement parks, or even when using the big old clunky VR booths at arcades. I do not get motion sick ever, but I do in Sansar. So I don't get it either. O.o

Strange, you get faster sick in secondlife with the poor low framersre then in sansar that give me enough frames to let it look very smooth on my 144hz monitor.

But i use xbox one controller in sansar. it allow me to move more smooth around then with mouse. Mabye that's a problem. But i use a VR set to. and yes i can be senditive fr motion sickness, but not always.

Other problem that you can have,. What lights do you have above or around the system ?in the past i did use a ccfl tbue. because that's 50hz it conflicted with my monitor. And im sure that amplified the motion sickness. It's now replaced by custom own made led light that does not create anf flickring. (many commerial led still do) that seems to made my motionsickness is not appear much anymore.

Try to test sansar again with daylight ?

Not sure whst graphicscard and cpu alienware have.

7 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

But i use xbox one controller in sansar. it allow me to move more smooth around then with mouse. Mabye that's a problem. But i use a VR set to. and yes i can be senditive fr motion sickness, but not always.

Oh, I will have to try a controller instead of my mouse sometime. As far as my lights, I had my curtains open and it was a nice sunny-ish day, I also had a floor lamp turned on, but its like 8 feet from my system. I've never really thought about how light could impact motion sickness, I have never had motion sickness, so it's all new to me. 

I got motion sickness watching a youtube video of Sansar made by Draxtor. I rushed to the toilet and vomited. This was a very strange experience for me. It was a party, and maybe it was the movement of the camera, I don't know. But there you go. Maybe Theresa experienced that same camera movement that I did watching the video of Sansar. So, there's something about Sansar that causes sickness :S

There were a lot of other things that made me sick too >:(, but that's not related to this topic

Edited by Rya Nitely

4 hours ago, Rya Nitely said:

There were a lot of other things that made me sick too

?

@Theresa Ravenheart

Oh, i got also motion sick when my computer only where set to 60hz refresh when my screen need 144hz. At 144hz it more smooth Mabye your monitor refresh is set to 59hz instead of 60hz some screen support 75hz i think. But if that really makes a difference 1h A bit worried if your system can really generate 60 frames. If you say gta only get 30fps on ultra.

21 hours ago, Rya Nitely said:

I got motion sickness watching a youtube video of Sansar made by Draxtor.

Are you absolutely sure it was motion sickness and not some other kind?

• Like 1

"Blur" effects caused by low framerates or rendering, or even some effect overlays for 'vision effects' can cause people to be sick even on traditional monitors.

While playing Rust, a first-person 'survival' type game, the developers at one point used visual blur effects to reflect how it might feel while you were baking under a hot sun in the desert - a steamy, blurry clouded vision effect.

The problem was that the effect would cause a strain on your eyeballs, as they would want to 'refocus' your eyes, causing headaches in many. A complaint was eventually lobbied, and of course ignored - until it was pointed out that a lawsuit could possibly happen if a person were successful in demonstrating the visual effect caused sickness or eye damage. The effect was promptly removed.

Hell, sometimes you can feel queasy just looking at blurred textures in SL, in some big sim trying to load 5000 x 1024kb textures, as well as the resultant drop in FPS from such.

This is the biggest issue with VR right now, motion sickness is still common.

Edited by entity0x