Sign in to follow this  
animats

Are Sansar avatars in the Uncanny Valley?

(If you're not familiar with the Uncanny Valley, please read the Wikipedia article.) Human acceptability of images of humans has a valley between "cartoon" and "indistinguishable from reality". As images get close to photorealistic, any tiny flaw breaks the illusion. This subtly upsets some people. SL remains on the artistic side of the uncanny valley - avatars look good, but not convincingly human.

Here's one of the Sansar avatars with the new clothing.

Marvelous_Designer_before_and_after.png

Are we in the uncanny valley yet?

This is a real problem. Pixar deliberately dials back the realism of their humanoid characters to avoid this problem. The best movie animation techniques can reach the far side of the uncanny valley with convincing human characters. Just barely. Unreal Engine is getting close in real time, at least in rendering. When you get close to photorealistic, the motion has to be right, too, or the result looks awful. So do the facial expressions and eye movements.

Is Sansar there?

• Like 1

I think uncanny valley is now reserved for RL as anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the last decade has seen a wide spectrum of what computer graphics can do for human appearance as far as games and movies are concerned and standards are ever-evolving.

In my personal opinion, Sansar's avatars are not pushing enough detail with their current skin and hair.

Lastly, lack of subtle fidgeting/posturing animations makes them look, as someone once told me when I hadn't yet used an AO, like "they have a stick up their butt".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Lastly, lack of subtle fidgeting/posturing animations makes them look, as someone once told me when I hadn't yet used an AO, like "they have a stick up their butt".

That is one of the better descriptions of uncanny valley I've seen.

On 12/22/2017 at 2:58 AM, animats said:

(If you're not familiar with the Uncanny Valley, please read the Wikipedia article.) Human acceptability of images of humans has a valley between "cartoon" and "indistinguishable from reality". As images get close to photorealistic, any tiny flaw breaks the illusion. This subtly upsets some people. SL remains on the artistic side of the uncanny valley - avatars look good, but not convincingly human.

Here's one of the Sansar avatars with the new clothing.

Marvelous_Designer_before_and_after.png

Are we in the uncanny valley yet?

This is a real problem. Pixar deliberately dials back the realism of their humanoid characters to avoid this problem. The best movie animation techniques can reach the far side of the uncanny valley with convincing human characters. Just barely. Unreal Engine is getting close in real time, at least in rendering. When you get close to photorealistic, the motion has to be right, too, or the result looks awful. So do the facial expressions and eye movements.

Is Sansar there?

cool now you can look like a slob in sansar as well as rl

• Haha 2

Slob/outdated is the new hipster wear. I'm surprised the avatar customization section doesn't have desheveled/bed head hair, faded jean jackets, tie dye shirts, round purple lensed glasses, blossom hats, khaki's cut off at the knees, pink wool socks & loafers. And thats just for the men...

On 12/22/2017 at 2:10 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

It isn't uncanny valley. It is "leaves more to be desired" because we're not new to this. We've seen better and I hope many, if not most of us, expect better.

Way to often I see the term "uncanny valley" used when really it's just "jacked all to *****."