Question

Hi,

After 14 years of Second Life I've decided it's time to retire.  About 3 months ago I started experiencing my avatar spin in circles, massive lag, rubber band effect and items rolling back.  Rolling back?  What does that mean?  Well, it's more like ghosting.  Create a prim, move it and watch it move back on it's own.  The same goes with adding a color to it or setting an alpha.  It begins to switch between colors as if it's trying to fight with me.  I thought it was a sim issue and was at a point where a Linden had to come and see for themselves.  Turns out it wasn't the sim.  I use firestorm and that part of support helped me from A to Z with no solution to be found.  I called my Internet company and for the past 3 months they've tried their best to find a solution but couldn't come up with anything.  The told me all my lines are new and it seems my connection is excellent.  

So here I am with my last plea to get help if anyone has this issue.  We all know Linden labs doesn't do tech support so I reach out to the community for help.  I would hate for 14 years of SL experience to be thrown out because of this issue.  I was being told that there's a network issue between my network and Linden Labs.  How do I go about solving this if Linden Labs cannot be reached for tech support?  This has become very stressful moving around my sim which I've been paying $300 a month for the past year.  If this cannot be solved, why spend so much when I'm barely on?  

Has anyone experienced this type of issue or know of a solution.  Sadly, I've done everything.

Reinstalled windows 10
Updated drivers
Tried multiple clients
Opened up Ports with port forwarding
Set my computer to DMZ on my IP address and opened up my computer to be exposed
Disabled anti-virus and firewall
connected directly to a modem bypassing a router

There's nothing more I can think of.  If you have a solution, please let me know.  I need to make a decision in my life to move on from SL since this could be the end for me.

Thanks,
LD

41 minutes ago, Lord Derryth said:

Has anyone experienced this type of issue or know of a solution.

Yes and no.

That is yes, I'm experiencing the same but no, I do not know a solution. And oh yes, it is bad enough for me too that if there isn't a solution soon, it's time to pack up and leave.

The one hope I have left now, is that it's some seasonal overload of the U.S. network and that it'll end once people are finished filling up Facebook and Instagram with pictures of their holiday decorations. We'll see if the problem is still there in a week or two.

Hmm. I've seen this, but only intermittently, and then mostly limited to "prime time" of US concurrency. My (Canadian) network connection is always pretty slow so the fact this isn't usually a problem for me suggests there's something dramatic and specific going wrong for you guys.

That particular behavior of stuff "rubber-banding" in the editor, and edits reverting -- that must be a network problem between the viewer and the sim, as opposed to the CDN. So if textures are loading normally* but immediate edits are reverting, and others are not getting the same effect on that specific sim, that sure smells of a networking problem the ISP is having with the sim(s) specifically.

If it's not some seasonal thing on your ISP's network, maybe try shopping for another ISP. That's only an option in some lucky markets, of course, but if that's your market, another ISP might have a better backbone connection to whatever corner of the internet the SL sims reside.

(ETA: Or it's possible the ISP has a routing problem getting to LL's servers. I would suppose that would reveal itself with a garden-variety ICMP Ping test and traceroute specifically to the connected sim, which reveals its domain name and IP address in Help / About.)

*In contrast, for me textures, mesh, everything CDN-sourced is always halting-problem slow, whereas sim edit changes are relatively unaffected -- the opposite of the situation I'm understanding you to have. Of course, the CDN stuff is way more bandwidth, so I'm seeing exactly what one should expect from a pitifully slow connection overall.

Edited by Qie Niangao

My problem is that I'm locked in a 3 year contract with Comcast.  I'm at 1,000MBPS down and 45MBPS up.  Textures are grey for me and load really slow.  The lag is so terrible I can barely move.  I randomly start to fall while I'm standing or spin in circles.  It's so annoying that I stopped logging in and when I do I just stand AFK.  

9 minutes ago, Lord Derryth said:

My problem is that I'm locked in a 3 year contract with Comcast.  I'm at 1,000MBPS down and 45MBPS up.  Textures are grey for me and load really slow.  The lag is so terrible I can barely move.  I randomly start to fall while I'm standing or spin in circles.  It's so annoying that I stopped logging in and when I do I just stand AFK.  

Wow, that's fantastic bandwidth, if only it actually worked for your SL connection. I still think I'd try ping and tracert to the specific sim host. Or maybe compare an ookla speed test (I guess beta.speedtest.net) to some default local server in contrast to something nearer wherever LL hosts its servers (which I'm hoping somebody else knows... Dallas, maybe?). There should be some difference, but more speed-of-light than night-and-day.

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Have you tried using the free Google DNS servers instead of your ISP's? https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Just changed to Google DNS and signed in. I saw some improvement in performance. Will know better tomorrow when I sign in at my usual time and run the gamut.

9 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Or maybe compare an ookla speed test (I guess beta.speedtest.net) to some default local server in contrast to something nearer wherever LL hosts its servers (which I'm hoping somebody else knows... Dallas, maybe?).

LL had servers in Tucson for a while. I have no idea if they still station them there. I did find that LL has space in Chandler, a Phoenix suburb. Perhaps the servers are there too. Only LL knows for sure.

What do you see when you use your statistics bar (CTRL +Shift +1) to look at ping time? Many of your symptoms smell like long ping time. Unless you have recently started using a satellite connection, it's likely that your path to the LL servers is now being routed through a slow node somewhere --- hopefully a temporary seasonal effect.You could do a tracert test to identify the sliw node and theb ask your ISP for help with alternate routing (not likely) or you could just wait and hope. 

You have done all the right things. But, I don't see where you have tested your connection the SL servers. http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Your problem description is a classic network issue.

Having great speed and a good general Internet connection does not mean you have a good connection to the SL servers. Test that specific connection to see if it is you (looks like you have done a good job of eliminating that), your ISP, the backbone providers, or Linden Lab.

Also, try to determine if it is time-of-day sensitive. If your kids or neighbors are streaming movies, your connection could be choking the gateway/router. Older gateways/routers have a limited number of connections. But, if that were an issue it would work better for some time after a restart.

Also, you didn't give us your hardware specs. On 32-bit systems and 64-bit ones with less than 8GB of ram you may see these problems too.  If this is it the problem gets worse with time logged in.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3500.02 MHz)
Memory: 32720 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 16299)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

San Francisco

• Ping 58
  • Download 599.34
  • Upload 1.22
Tracing route to sim10328.agni.lindenlab.com [216.82.50.50]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    12 ms    14 ms     7 ms  96.120.25.229
  3    12 ms    10 ms     7 ms  te-0-0-0-16-sur03......................
  4    10 ms     8 ms     7 ms  te-0-5-0-0-sur04.....................
  5    12 ms    16 ms     9 ms  be-120-ar01.area4.........................
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8    55 ms   111 ms    50 ms  LINDEN-RESE.bar1.Phoenix1.............
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11    55 ms    53 ms    50 ms  sim10328.agni.lindenlab.com [216.82.50.50]

Trace complete.

No!  I use Kaspersky.  I've disabled antivirus and firewalls and issue is still there.  One of those freak moments when everything is perfect and all of a sudden 3 months of this for no reason.

5 minutes ago, Lord Derryth said:

No!  I use Kaspersky.  I've disabled antivirus and firewalls and issue is still there.  One of those freak moments when everything is perfect and all of a sudden 3 months of this for no reason.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/technology/kaspersky-lab-israel-russia-hacking.html?_r=0

6 hours ago, Lord Derryth said:

CPU: Intel...

I don't see any problem in the TraceRT. The timeouts are common. Assuming you are pinging the LL server the Ping & TraceRT times are almost equal. So, the final ping packet is making it in the same time as the trace route, which indicates the timeouts are not an issue.

The only criteria I'm not seeing is packet loss between you and the LL server. I see the Ping 58, but I'm not sure what you were pinging.

You may see a more realistic number by reading packet loss from within the viewer, Ctrl-Shift-1.

My TraceRT

Tracing route to sim10328.agni.lindenlab.com [216.82.50.50]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     9 ms    17 ms     8 ms  10.135.0.1
  3     9 ms     9 ms    10 ms  68.6.14.142
  4    28 ms    29 ms    28 ms  sim10328.agni.lindenlab.com [216.82.50.50]

Trace complete.

You might try a more arduous PING, use: ping -4 -n 20 sim10328.agni.lindenlab.com

You might replace the -4 with -6, its the IPv4 versus v6 format. AFAIK the LL servers only use IPv4.

I'm not seeing any packet loss on my pings. But, the max ping time for 20 pings is around 3,000ms the average is 250 to 350. Eliminating the 3 slow pings drops my average to 29ms, which what the standard 4 ping set returns. My viewer typically shows So, the more arduous tests may reveal a problem.

You might try borrowing someone's laptop and running a set of tests with a viewer installed on a different machine. The Viewer Stats between the two should eliminate or point to your computer.

I would then try the laptop on a different network. Do, you have a friend with a different ISP? Or a work connection that uses a business connection? You should be able to see a difference if it is the network.

I have seen COX tell customers that everything was great. From their service center all looked good. But, things did not work right. Until COX was pressed and eventually sent someone out. Then they found a problem. I've seen this once or twice a year with my clients in SoCal. The last run of cable/wire to the home or the gateway has repeatedly been  the problem. (I'm not picking on COX. I like them. I've seen this happen with most ISP's.)

I don't see where we have asked about your viewer setting Max Bandwidth. It is a depreciated setting only affecting UDP. Yours should be at 1500. It can affect the server and change how fast it pushes data on the UDP protocol. Probably not the issue, but check it off too.

I just want to say that it's deeply unjust that you're seeing these problems and I'm not. I should be so lucky as to have specs half as good as your machine, and same with network performance.

And yet, you are. The specific symptoms are so suggestive of network trouble that it's hard to set that aside. I guess, if it were me, I'd look at the SL-specific packet loss (in Help/About) and the application layer ping time Control-Shift-1 for the Statistics bar; Ping Sim time is near the top, along with a real-time readout of Packet Loss. (At the moment, my Ping Sim is 124ms and 0.6% packet loss, just as a starting point.)

Assuming that comes through with flying colors for you, as with everything else we've tried, it sure would be useful to know how a different machine - even a borrowed hand-me-down laptop -- behaves connecting to the same sim over the exact same network. Your machine is all one could want, for sure, but we're grasping at straws here.

(Grasping another straw: You said "a Linden had to come and see for themselves.  Turns out it wasn't the sim." Just to be sure: you have the same problem if you do the same things on other sims -- a sandbox, say -- right?)

• Like 1

Did you check your ping sim & packet loss as Qie asked above?
Are you sure you're still getting the connection speed you're supposed to get? All your symptoms sound like what would happen when running SL on a very slow connection. I wonder if your ISP has throttled you for going over a monthly data cap.

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I just want to say that it's deeply unjust that you're seeing these problems and I'm not. I should be so lucky as to have specs half as good as your machine, and same with network performance.

And yet, you are. The specific symptoms are so suggestive of network trouble that it's hard to set that aside. I guess, if it were me, I'd look at the SL-specific packet loss (in Help/About) and the application layer ping time Control-Shift-1 for the Statistics bar; Ping Sim time is near the top, along with a real-time readout of Packet Loss. (At the moment, my Ping Sim is 124ms and 0.6% packet loss, just as a starting point.)

Assuming that comes through with flying colors for you, as with everything else we've tried, it sure would be useful to know how a different machine - even a borrowed hand-me-down laptop -- behaves connecting to the same sim over the exact same network. Your machine is all one could want, for sure, but we're grasping at straws here.

(Grasping another straw: You said "a Linden had to come and see for themselves.  Turns out it wasn't the sim." Just to be sure: you have the same problem if you do the same things on other sims -- a sandbox, say -- right?)

Yes same problems on other sims.  I have another computer in the house my wife uses.  She has the same issue.

Besides the Internet issue, I've been getting harassed by Mshadowsjj who follows me everywhere on the Internet.  I've tried the police and LL and nobody seems to help me in that department either.  I thinking about switching ISP's but the problem is they have me locked in a 3 year contract.

@Lord Derryth When you check the packet loss it occurred to me to have you check the secondlife.log file. Use the viewer for as long as you think you can without a crash. Close the viewer and look at end of the secondlife.log file in C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\

There will be set of stats at the end of the file. If your connection only drops packets after prolonged use it may be a throttling issue. Whatever, the accumulative stats may show problems we are not seeing in the Ping/TraceRT.

You have pretty well established it is NOT your computer or SL by using two computers and two different games and game providers. If your wife's computer works well on another network, that pretty much pins it down. Provide all these details in a long history of your efforts to resolve the issue. Take the mins set a level-1 tech will first read the trouble ticket. Keep it simple and understandable and explain what each result means. Say you have used 2 different computers with the same programs freshly installed. and include what that means: since both have the same problem it is not the Windows or game installs that are the problem. Explain each step this way so as little doubt as possible is left in the Level-1 person and they decide to pass it up the line.

There is more in the links below, but in the ticket include the statement that your next step will be to file complaints with the local (city), country, and state agencies. It is more impressive if you look up the agency names. You can call your local city and ask who handles complaints about or the licensing of ISP's. Put enough information in the ticket that they know you are seriously pursuing the agency complaint route. 

Pleasedo not file the ticket and agency complains at the same time. The ISP may surprise you and actually fix it.

We haven't asked about your ISP. The name is not important, but whether they are coming to you via copper wire, coaxial cable, fiber, or satellite is important. At your speeds I would assume fiber or cable is the medium. 

Don't let the "CONTRACT" thing spook you. If they cannot deliver their side of the agreement, you can break the contract. See:

Yes I've spoken with Comcast about it.  They keep telling me my lines are clean.  They've escalated it to the network department and that's been a week now.  My gaming experience is screwed on all platforms not only SL.  

BTW, Really sorry about Mshadowsjj.  She follows me everywhere.  That block feature is not there for her name.  Any way LL can IP block her from SL?  She's mentally challenged and she won't go away.  

6 hours ago, Lord Derryth said:

That block feature is not there for her name.

Hmm. I get the popup with "Ignore User" when I hover over the name. This is using Chrome (also on Windows 10) in case it matters. 

The Lab is understandably selective in use of IP blocking, but you are certainly able to file abuse reports and see what measures they are willing to take. If you can simply mute the account everywhere and get on with life, that's always best, but sometimes it's account whack-a-mole (which I'm guessing from your mention of IP blocking).

Totally irrelevant to your situation: Earlier this month my gateway router modem was rebooting itself randomly, several times a day -- then several times an hour! Called the ISP and at first they said it's usually a bad power connection: make sure the wall wart is plugged in securely. Took a couple days to convince myself that couldn't be it, called them back, and in the interim they'd discovered a pattern of such problems specific to the model of router, and they were working on it, and we should ask to be compensated at the next billing cycle; within a week they had a fix. I know that's nothing to do with your situation, other than to suggest there may be hope.

On 12/24/2017 at 6:40 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Have you tried phoning Comcast yet? It's looking pretty certain that it's the connection that's the problem.

Also:
22D9N9nSRZaOIlY2VVmtEg.png

I don’t see that option either.

10 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I don’t see that option either.

Move the mouse over the person's name and leave it there for a second or two (don't click), then the window should pop up.

• Like 1