BSOD

HylianWarrior91

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey there, I'm kinda new to second life. So I got this gaming laptop a week ago, and it has no problems except when running sl, I dunno why but it gives me blue screens of death and I gotta restart my computer and it's kinda a pain... sometimes it doesn't restart it and sl just closes on its own and I can't log back in right away... so I assume it must be something in the settings I gotta change or something but I'm not sure I'm new to pc gaming too... :c these are my specs btw:

intel core i7 - Nvidia Geforce gtx 1050ti, 4 gb graphics, 8 gb ram... I dunno much about pc specs cause like I said this is m intro to pc gaming but I dunno... maybe you the more experienced players know how to solve these kind of issues so I thought I'd ask xp

14 answers to this question

On 12/20/2017 at 10:29 PM, HylianWarrior91 said:

intel core i7 - Nvidia Geforce gtx 1050ti, 4 gb graphics, 8 gb ram... I dunno much about pc specs cause like I said this is m intro to pc gaming but I dunno... maybe you the more experienced players know how to solve these kind of issues so I thought I'd ask xp

This is good but incomplete. Use the viewer's Help->About... to gather the info we need. You can get after the viewer starts and before you login. This will give us driver versions.

Also, is this a desktop or laptop?

Do you have anti-virus software? Which? Have you tried disabling it?

• Like 1

This is what the about tab shows: 

Second Life 5.0.9.329906 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 18.7, 124.4, 68.7 in Social Island 6 located at sim10378.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.51.28:13002)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Social Island 6/19/124/69
(global coordinates 262,675.0, 272,764.0, 68.7)
Second Life Server 17.12.01.511131
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (2808 MHz)
Memory: 8059 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit  (Build 9200) compatibility mode. real ver: 10.0 (Build 10586)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 22.21.13.8477
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.77

Window size: 1920x1001
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1.25
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 500kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 2 / 7
Advanced Lighting Model: Disabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: December 13 2017 19:47:08

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.6.0017.22050

Packets Lost: 0/1,230 (0.0%)
December 22 2017 21:16:11

yes this is a laptop, and the antivirus it had preinstalled was mc afee but I removed it as it only had a one month trial and I didn't plan on renewing it after that period of time :P

18 hours ago, HylianWarrior91 said:

Memory: 8059 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit  (Build 9200) compatibility mode. real ver: 10.0 (Build 10586)

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 22.21.13.8477  -> Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.21.13.8813
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.77                       -> OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.13

Packets Lost: 0/1,230 (0.0%)
December 22 2017 21:16:11

yes this is a laptop, and the antivirus it had preinstalled was mc afee but I removed it as it only had a one month trial and I didn't plan on renewing it after that period of time :P

About the only things I see are the Win 8 and older Nvidia drivers.

I am not sure why it shows in 'compatibility mode'.

With the hardware you have I would make the upgrade to Win10. I've upgraded a couple of machines from Win7 to Win10 at no cost this month. Use the Windows built-in update.

Win8 and Win8.1 are problem versions of Windows. If the Nvidia driver update does not solve the problem, I would assume the problem is in Win8.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

About the only things I see are the Win 8 and older Nvidia drivers.

I am not sure why it shows in 'compatibility mode'.

With the hardware you have I would make the upgrade to Win10. I've upgraded a couple of machines from Win7 to Win10 at no cost this month. Use the Windows built-in update.

Win8 and Win8.1 are problem versions of Windows. If the Nvidia driver update does not solve the problem, I would assume the problem is in Win8.

Suppossedly this laptop had w10 preinstalled but yeah weird that it says 8... perhaps that's the issue lemme update those now and see... thank you for your help btw :P

19 hours ago, HylianWarrior91 said:

It's expected that the default LL viewer can't detect Windows 10 correctly, it's not using the Windows 10 manifest.
This is fine though, the build number always shows correctly & you're on Win 10 (Build 10586).

LL do use the Windows 10 manifest in the 64bit Alex Ivy RC viewer, so this viewer correctly detects Windows 10.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HylianWarrior91 said:

@Whirly Fizzle well I'm on the standard sl viewer... so you're sayig that's the problem? cus if that ll thing you mentioned works better I'm so upgrading to that in hopes it stops the crashes caue I do have w10 on my pc but its sl that detects it as 8 yeah xp

No no, that's not the problem. As far as I'm aware the Windows 10 manifest is only needed to correctly detect systems running Windows 10 in the Help -> About system information. Using an older manifest doesn't affect stability, not that I've seen anyway.

Having said that though, on your system you should be using a 64bit viewer anyway.
Maybe you'll get lucky & it will also fix the BSOD - did you use BlueScreen View to find out where Windows was crashing?

You can download the Alex Ivy RC viewer here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/5.1.0.511248
Get the 64-bit Windows version.

This is sort of my 'last resort' boilerplate. When nothing else is helping, this sometimes gets one a clue. And it is handy to know.

When all else is failing and those helping have run out of suggestions, look in the viewer’s log files. The viewer has various log files you can read to get an idea of what has gone wrong. Look at the log immediately after you crash or exit the viewer. Logs are replaced the next time a viewer starts. You’ll find the logs in:

C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\

You will change folder and file names based on viewer used... But, they are all similar.

• crashreport.log – This log is generated when the viewer crashes, the previous version of the file is overwritten. Rename this file if you plan to restart the viewer before examining the file. Otherwise, just read it with a text viewer (Notepad is good).
  • debug_info.log – This file is internally formatted as an XML file. I never find it of much use. It is mostly the specs of your machine.
  • SecondLife.log – This is the main log file. I find it the most useful. Start from the end of the file and work toward the beginning. Search for ‘WARNING’ and ‘ERROR’. With any luck, the messages there will give you an idea of the problem. Recent changes have added a section heading to parts of the file that can identify the general nature of the problem. There are lots of performance stats included.  At the end of a non-crash log there are secession stats;  Run Time, Average Packet Size, Dropped Packets, Resent Packets, etc. The file is replaced and recreated for each viewer secession.
  • SecondLife.error_marker – I don’t know what information is inside. I don’t have a copy to examine as I write this.  The presence of the file indicates where, when, and what error happened. I think this is a disaster backup file for crash reporting in which information about the crash is retained in the event the crash handlers are destroyed before they can create the other more complete crash files.
  • SecondLife.start_marker – There is no information inside. The presence of the file indicates how far into the start process the viewer has gotten. Whether the file exists or not is the pertinent information.
  • SecondLifeCrashReport.log – This is another file internally formatted to XML.  It is created when the viewer crashes. I think this is the new version of the crash log. It is mostly text.
  • stats.log – This is a short file containing network statistics. Similar information is in other log files. It is an easy to read set of stats that show how many packets were dropped and resent in a secession.

I find the SecondLife.log is the most useful file for tuning and troubleshooting the viewer. It is verbose and reasonably easy to understand. There is a Debug Setting that allows you to increase or decrease the level of reporting.

Most of these files are erased when the viewer starts. If you plan to send the files in with a trouble ticket or bug report, place copies in another folder before starting the viewer.

Marker files are temporary and may or may not exist at any given time.

Entries in the files associated with errors and warnings are labeled as such. That makes them easy to find by searching. Search and read through them starting at the end of the file and working to the beginning.

Warning entries are common and do NOT necessarily mean there is a problem. Some warnings are a part of normal operation. Some errors are trivial and do not indicate a ‘noticeable’ problem in the viewer’s operation. So, one has to do some evaluating.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.