New to SL, Want to use a rez box to save my place while I'm away for the holidays

Moraxo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As the title says I'm new and I really don't know much about rezboxes or how to use them but I'm going to be away for the holidays so I wont be renting my skyplot for that time. So from what I under stand a rezbox would allow me to pack everything into a box and then re-rez it all back in place at my whim? I was going to try using https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Buildbox-Free-Simple-Multi-Object-Rezzer/4675899   but I figured I should ask for help and suggestions first. I have a few gatcha items in the scene and some no mod so I'm curious if everything has to be full perm or not? Any help really would be awesome as I need to do this in the next 2 or 3 days lol. Thanks!

Rez boxes are pretty basic tools and quite easy to use.  You'll find several versions in Marketplace, but I have always used Builder's Buddy, which is free and available in the LSL wiki Script Library.  Read the instructions carefully and experiment with a few expendable prims before you commit to the real thing.  You'll do fine.  And as Pam says, you can put anything in the rez box.  Just remember that if an object is no-copy, you cn't copy it.  The original has to go in the box.  If that makes you nervous, keep it in your inventory as a separate item.

Incidentally, I have no idea what you are paying for rent, but I would be very surprised if it will cost you more than a few dollars to stay in the parcel you are currently renting over the holidays.  If it were my choice, I would balance that against the (minor) hassle of boxing everything up and then unboxing it later -- and I'd stay where I was.   But that's just me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

You would be able to Rez no copy things one time only. 

You can also take everything as a group by box selecting, but do it while standing in the house because small items might not get selected otherwise.

So for moving purposes I could take EVERYTHING in place and box it up and then unpack when I move into my new plot? It would just be a one time sorta thingy?

I don't want to have to re- place all the items in my scene thats my issue lol.

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Rez boxes are pretty basic tools and quite easy to use.  You'll find several versions in Marketplace, but I have always used Builder's Buddy, which is free and available in the LSL wiki Script Library.  Read the instructions carefully and experiment with a few expendable prims before you commit to the real thing.  You'll do fine.  And as Pam says, you can put anything in the rez box.  Just remember that if an object is no-copy, you cn't copy it.  The original has to go in the box.  If that makes you nervous, keep it in your inventory as a separate item.

Incidentally, I have no idea what you are paying for rent, but I would be very surprised if it will cost you more than a few dollars to stay in the parcel you are currently renting over the holidays.  If it were my choice, I would balance that against the (minor) hassle of boxing everything up and then unboxing it later -- and I'd stay where I was.   But that's just me.

should having a no copy item in a rezbox concern me? like is there a possibility of me losing the item or something?

It honestly would be cheap to stay on the plot for the week but I am planning to move and find somewhere with a better deal on prims so I figured why not just box it up now and be done with it lol I was starting to get tired of working on it.

12 minutes ago, Moraxo said:

So for moving purposes I could take EVERYTHING in place and box it up and then unpack when I move into my new plot? It would just be a one time sorta thingy?

Yes, you can put everything in a rez box or just take into inventory as a group but the no copy things would rezz once..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moraxo said:

should having a no copy item in a rezbox concern me? like is there a possibility of me losing the item or something?

It honestly would be cheap to stay on the plot for the week but I am planning to move and find somewhere with a better deal on prims so I figured why not just box it up now and be done with it lol I was starting to get tired of working on it.

Should it concern you? No, probably not. I tend to get conservative about irreplaceable things but then I remind myself that (a) the cost of replacing things in SL is very low, (b) the likelihood of losing things is really quite low, and (c) everything in SL is expendable anyway.  It's just that if you are paranoid about such things, keeping them in your inventory is cheap insurance.

And yes, if you're planning to move anyway, it does make some sense.  It's also a fun exercise, one of those things that you ought to learn about if you plan to be in SL for the long haul.  One thing to remember, though, is that parcels are not created alike. I have moved many times over the years and have never found that things fit on the next parcel the same way that they did on the last one. The landforms are different, I have to contend with different neighbors, and -- most important -- I have much better ideas about what my home should look like. One of the great joys of SL is that building a home, demolishing it, and replacing it again are incredible easy, fast, clean, and rewarding steps.  B|

• Like 1

One other point which I haven't seen mentioned, is that a rez box won't work well with no-mod items.

Typically they require dropping a script in the object to be packaged in the box to record its positon relative to the rez box, and then move it to the correct position when it is rezzed again.   You won't be able to do this with no-mod items

If you put the items in the box without having added the script and recording their location, then the box will just rez them at the position the box is at and leave them there, you will need to position them manually yourself.

• Like 3

I'd say if you intend to use a rez box just avoid no-copy items entirely. And, of course, no-mod items won't work with them to begin with. Unless you want to give away or sell the rez box with your items inside, no-trans isn't an issue. I use rez boxes with no-trans items all the time for my building projects.

I'd strongly recommend avoiding no-mod/no-copy items in general. They will always cause you problems eventually and they're pretty senseless restrictions for most content.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.