lunching problem

Herik449

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,
i made my account with second life form last month, i enjoyed it lot, but i updated new version of sl before a week & than after i am unable to  launch sl form my windows 10, i tried firestorm also but same problem also there :(  whenever i open the second life viewer a blank transparent  window will open and nothing is shown in it. as well as i have to force close sl because normal exit button not working, i attached here a screen shot of that window.
please do helpful for my problem as soon as possible and oblige, so i can re-enter in to my dream world.

sl error-1.jpg

9 answers to this question

You almost got me with your title   ^^   :)

That is certainly an unusual problem. It smells like a problem with your graphics card drivers, but I can't do more than speculate. If I were you, I would begin by updating the drivers for your card to see if that fixes it.  You didn't say anything about what sort of computer you are using, though, so there is one big caveat.  Some laptops and notebooks that use an Intel graphics chip instead of a dedicated graphics card cannot be upgraded because Intel does not make drivers that are compatible with Windows 10.  If that's the case, you might be able to use the 32 bit version of the Firestorm viewer.  If not, the only choices are (a) revert to an earlier version of Windows -- not likely or (b) get a new computer.

• Like 1

Was the update automatic or did you do a manual update?

I ask because there have been some problems with the Linden install program. You might try a manual install to insure you have the right 32 or 64 bit version, provided you are allowing RC installs. If not... go to Alternate Viewers and get a 64-bit version. Try it.

Also, make sure your antivirus is not eating your viewer install. You can turn off the AV as you install to test.

Also, if you install after a viewer close, you may be installing after a viewer-close crash. This can happen unnoticed. So, to eliminate this possibility, restart the computer and then do the install.

That is a really old video driver. So, I suspect it. Yours 307.74, mine 388.13 Oct 2017.

The video card is a 2005-06 release date card. So, it is old too.

The 256MB of video memory is likely a problem too. Today 2 to 6GB of video memory is common. All the memory swapping your system will have to do could be a problem.

You didn't give us a complete set of specs. Use the viewer's Help->About... to get all the driver and hardware info.

A 32-bit interface on a video card is way small. My 1060 uses 196-bit interface. So... Win10 may not work well with it, at least for running SL. You can try turning off Visual Effects (Aero, transparency...). There are so many changes in Windows there are many tutorials that are wrong about how to do that. So, I gave up finding a 'how-to' with current pictures. My Win10 is up to date, I think. So, Settings->System->Personalization->Colors then scroll down and find Transparency effects. This is reputed to lower video demand on texture space. Try it.

Without knowing more about the computer, I can't recommend a replacement. The CPU and motherboard decide what will work. But, there are nice video cards for way cheap on eBay. The 1060 I paid US$350+ for is down to $200. GTX 980's go for $150, GTX 780 - $110, 680 - $60-100, 580 - $50 (one today for $15), ... and here the prices sort of bottom out at $30-50 until you go below the 200 series. So, I would say the 580's are about as old one should go.

Thanks for your reply madam, but i used same system for sl from last 3 months, i spent lots of time in sl and enjoyed lot, login many time via this system, i never face this problem at that time. but this problem starts form last few weeks, after update of sl as well my system too :(, i think i should not update it.

my computer information given in attachment.  

SYSTEM INFO-2.jpg

I think, medium term, you'll want to be hunting for a whole new machine, but for now you'll want to know what's gone wrong.

Honestly, it looks more likely the fault of that Windows update than the update to SL itself, particularly because the same problem occurs with Firestorm. I expect it's too much to hope for a usable restore point from before the update. If it were me, I'd run the Event Viewer to see if any useful clues are logged by the system when the viewer fails to launch. (Just ask Cortana "Event Viewer" and she should confess.) I honestly can't guess what that might reveal; I mean, it could be something as trivial as running out of paging space, given that there's only 4 GB of RAM, but that's only one extremely unlikely point of failure among hundreds.

I wonder, is there some reason that the graphics drivers are not updated? I'm not confident it will help with this particular problem, but I imagine there eventually comes a point where they just won't work with updated Windows anymore.

You could also examine the last gasps in the viewer's own log file for hints, if it gets far enough to log anything useful. (Look in your home folder's AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife \ logs \ SecondLife.log )

The 4GB of system memory is barely enough. I had consistent problems with 8GB. Adding more cleared up the problems I was having. But, it is enough to launch the viewer.

The 2.4GHz quad core should work. It will be slow.

Qie's suggestion to look in the secondlife.log file is good. There should be information as to why it crashes without visible launch.

Also note that the Windows updates of last week were BIG updates that apparently addressed the Intel security leak issue. Mine does it all in the night, but a friend who has passwords on his machine noted that it took an hour and he is on a REALLY fast connection.  So not a trivial thing and could definitely have messed up a machine -- especially an older one that had Win 10 added as an update.  The TIMING of the problem when it wasn't a problem before suggests to me it was the update.   Happily mine seems to have gone very smoothly; that hasn't ALWAYS been the case however. 

Agree that coffee money should be put in a tin can for a new machine :D. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.